How do we defend Va Tech's Taylor?

SwiftFan87

They have had their fair share of issues but as great a coach Beamer is I would be shocked if they don't show up for this game.

There is no way we have faced the level of talent VT has so far this season. Be prepared Blackshirts.

Plus they have another game for Taylor to get more comfortable.

Taylor isn't impressive at all. He can run, but that's about it. I watched part of the Georgia Tech game and I counted at least six passes where he had a man wide open, but either overthrew it or underthrew it.

Guard against the run and their offense will not be able to move the ball very well.

Uhhh, he only had 5 incompletions total. How do you figure "at least six passes where he had a man wide open, but either overthrew it or underthrew it?"

For those of you who think VTech will not be able to move the ball, you are crazy. They faced a very good ECU team as well as one of the best front fours in the nation in GTech. Who have we moved the ball on??? Two state schools for the blind. Our defense isnt half as good as ECU or GTech, dont get all high and mighty because we held NMST to 7 pts, which was their first game by the way.

If we want to win, we will need to pressure Taylor into throwing bad passes and trying to contain him will be very difficult. Our front four will need to get a push, which they havent really shown much of on the weak teams we have played. If we cant get a push we will need our secondary to play well and Taylor to make some bad decisions. With our record agianst dual threat QB's this game has me pretty worried.

Taylor isn't impressive at all. He can run, but that's about it. I watched part of the Georgia Tech game and I counted at least six five passes where he had a man wide open, but either overthrew it or underthrew it.

Guard against the run and their offense will not be able to move the ball very well.

Uhhh, he only had 5 incompletions total. How do you figure "at least six passes where he had a man wide open, but either overthrew it or underthrew it?"

Okay, sorry...I fixed it. I'm still not worried about this QB or the offense. The VT offense doesn't even compare to most of the offenses NU will be facing this season.

Anyone who thinks Coach Beamer is going to come into Lincoln and roll over is sadly mistaken. We are going to have to fight these guys all day long. Pressure will be the key, always is, force him to make decisions quickly, he'll make some bad ones. And TACKLE! If we try taking him down when he breaks contain with arm tackles he will run wild. Hit, wrap, plant. Period. Easier said than done I know, but that's what we have to do.

Anyone who thinks Coach Beamer is going to come into Lincoln and roll over is sadly mistaken. We are going to have to fight these guys all day long. Pressure will be the key, always is, force him to make decisions quickly, he'll make some bad ones. And TACKLE! If we try taking him down when he breaks contain with arm tackles he will run wild. Hit, wrap, plant. Period. Easier said than done I know, but that's what we have to do.

I know... I'm surprised at the attitude towards this game. I think we have a decent chance to win since its at home, but imo its still a coin flip

Vt is a good team but not a great team. Their defense is what will keep them in the game. Our offense will have to have a good day for us to win. Taylor is not that good of a quarterback and IMO does not require a spy. Just play assignment football and put pressure on him through blitzes and mixing up the defense. One part of the game that everyone is overlooking is the special teams. VT is very good at blocking punts and field goals. We need to be sound in these area and not let them get cheap scores on us. IMO, we are the better team but we need to play our best to beat them. They will not lay down for us.

LSU last year doesn't really play into planning about this game at all. Pelini didn't expect to see Tyrod and Tyrod didn't expect to play. All things considered though he did pretty well.

He isn't the horrible passer that you guys seem to think he is. He does need to make reads faster and the receivers need to do a lot better with routes and getting open. He doesn't play stupid though, he probably won't throw too many interceptions.

A spy won't work, period. FSU tried that last year with absolutely terrible results. i just can't think of more than maybe 1 or 2 players in the country good enough in the open field to consistently tackle him. Your best bet is to blitz, a lot, like Kansas did and force quick reads from him. Also, run a lot of zone. Man to man will let him make reads more quickly and let the receivers make plays. Mixing up the coverages is a must.

Everyone has and will stack the box against us and we have still run the ball. So that isn't exactly a foregone conclusion as a perfect answer.

Hey, BTW, Georgia Tech has a really, really good defense. I'd put their defensive line up against any in the country. I think that they're the best. They've got three seniors and two probable or definite first day picks.

What VT fan posted how bad our defense is, is dead wrong. We actually did get a ton of pressure on the QB, so you're wrong there. The linebackers are very fast, plenty fast enough to play, so you're wrong there. The only problem that I have seen has been tackling on occasion and the safeties. Oh and the backup linebacker Jonas Houseright, he gave up that big touchdown last week and another big play against Furman. If Brett Warren can stay in we should be fine.

LSU last year doesn't really play into planning about this game at all. Pelini didn't expect to see Tyrod and Tyrod didn't expect to play. All things considered though he did pretty well.

He isn't the horrible passer that you guys seem to think he is. He does need to make reads faster and the receivers need to do a lot better with routes and getting open. He doesn't play stupid though, he probably won't throw too many interceptions.

A spy won't work, period. FSU tried that last year with absolutely terrible results. i just can't think of more than maybe 1 or 2 players in the country good enough in the open field to consistently tackle him. Your best bet is to blitz, a lot, like Kansas did and force quick reads from him. Also, run a lot of zone. Man to man will let him make reads more quickly and let the receivers make plays. Mixing up the coverages is a must.

Everyone has and will stack the box against us and we have still run the ball. So that isn't exactly a foregone conclusion as a perfect answer.

Hey, BTW, Georgia Tech has a really, really good defense. I'd put their defensive line up against any in the country. I think that they're the best. They've got three seniors and two probable or definite first day picks.

What VT fan posted how bad our defense is, is dead wrong. We actually did get a ton of pressure on the QB, so you're wrong there. The linebackers are very fast, plenty fast enough to play, so you're wrong there. The only problem that I have seen has been tackling on occasion and the safeties. Oh and the backup linebacker Jonas Houseright, he gave up that big touchdown last week and another big play against Furman. If Brett Warren can stay in we should be fine.

I have to admit I dont know that much about that team, but I have to say I am skeptical that they have the best D in the country.

Do whatever Bo did last year when VT played LSU. I think it was 45-7, and VT was better last year.

right. ;)

BO knows defense. He knows what to do. with a bye week, the mighty huskers will be as prepared as possible. They will have a defensive plan.

the NU players just have to execute.

GO BO!!

I have to admit I dont know that much about that team, but I have to say I am skeptical that they have the best D in the country.

Well Georgia Tech had a top 20 D last year (this year top 30 thus far), but they lost 7 starters including their top 4 tacklers and their starting DEs. They do probably have the best DTs in the ACC and have held their first 3 opponents under 20 points each. Still gave up nearly 200 yards rushing to Va Tech.

I think the bigger surprise was that Ga. Tech offense is in good enough shape to score 17 points against what is usually an outstanding Va Tech. D. That was only their 3rd game in making the transition from pro-style O to triple-option and they still had 278 net yards rushing.