Interesting stats after the first 3 games...

I am big into stats so I figured other's might want to see how we match up after 3 games. Here are the stat rankings for the 2008 Huskers.

Offense

Total Offense: Ranked 28th Total avg yards per game: 450.33 yards

Passing Offense: Ranked 31st Avg yards per game: 261.33

Rushing Offense: Ranked 24th Avg yards per game: 189

Defense

Total Defense: Ranked 65th. Allowing 347.33 yards per game

Passing Defense: Ranked 103rd Allowing 269.67 yards per game.

Rushing Defense: Ranked 23rd Allowing 77.67 yards per game

Sacks: Tied at 15th Avg 3 sacks per game

Scoring Defense: Ranked 25th Avg 14.33 points per game.

The obvious weakness on this team is the secondary. I wouldn't really get all too excited about our rush Defense as well. Since the first 3 teams we played mainly ran the spread offense. I just hope we can get the secondary fixed and and fixed FAST!

(source courtesy of http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/ranking...008&org=463)

You can still see the effects of Callahan and Co. in the players if you pay attention to them. At times they are still turning their backs to the ball and not turning around and looking for the ball. Then at other times they play much better and look for the ball. It's going to take some time and isn't going to be an overnight success that's for sure.

***SNIP***

The obvious weakness on this team is the secondary. I wouldn't really get all too excited about our rush Defense as well. Since the first 3 teams we played mainly ran the spread offense. I just hope we can get the secondary fixed and and fixed FAST!

***SNIP***

While I don't necessarily disagree, bear in mind that our opponents were physically outmatched, and had little choice but to throw - they weren't able to establish a ground game. That tends to skew the results somewhat...

On the offensive side we pretty much had them outgunned as well and still couldn't run the ball the first two games. New Mex State is no measuring stick either. IMO we really don't know what we have yet and won't for at least 2 weeks, and may not know much of anything until we get a couple of games into conference play.

You can still see the effects of Callahan and Co. in the players if you pay attention to them. At times they are still turning their backs to the ball and not turning around and looking for the ball. Then at other times they play much better and look for the ball. It's going to take some time and isn't going to be an overnight success that's for sure.

I agree. I think it will take Bo quite a bit longer to get this Defense back on track than it did in 03. For one thing when Bo took the 03 team they were being taught by Solich's staff which wasn't that bad. They had most of the fundamentals and Bo just had to tweak some things here and there. The team he was given this year was not taught a lot of things and were pretty lazy in a lot of areas which Bo will have to take time trying to make them forget what they were taught and teach them something that is new which is very hard to do. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we ended ranked anywhere from 70-90 in Defense simply because this team has to unlearn old stuff that has almost become instinct and learn new stuff.

While the defensive numbers are so much better than last year, they have a lot of room for improvement. One stat that I like is the turnovers...I like the aggressiveness that our defense shows, and if it leads to on occasional penalty, so be it...

Penalties overall I would like to see decreased. Especially the bone headed ones like off-sides. No excuse for those.

A better indicator of pass defense (IMO) is pass efficiency defense which takes into account how often the opponent threw and how your D did as opposed to just the pure yards. Using that stat, we're #47 in the nation.

The one that bothers me is net punting at 33.44 yards/punt for #76 nationally. Our scroing D is quite good at #25. I also noticed that the scores have gotten better: 24, 12, 7.

This is too small a sample size, against atypical opponents to start looking at rankings now.

Subjectively speaking, the element of our team about which I'm most excited is our pass rush. If we can keep this up against VT and then in Big 12 play, our pass defense could actually be decent. It all depends on DBs not making stupid mistakes, e.g. Murillo second half vs NMST.