Shawn Watson should be fired?

I really think Beck is in line to replace Watson after this year or next. Beck is opening doors for us in Texas, and is a solid recruiter. He is by trade a WR coach, not a RB coach.

I see Gilmore and Watson departing together either after this year, or next. Beck will take over the OC duties and WR duties, then will bring in a new QB coach.

I know this is the internet, but where did you get this from?? The reason I ask is because it seems to be an entertaining thought with the recruitment and cross fingers, signed Cody Green.

I usually don't post much about the offense because I don't care as much about it; but whoever the OC is next year has to tailor the offense towards this young mans abilities. I'm just throwing darts out there, but I see the offense transforming for him. It would be stupid not to.

Watson may be able to get away from the WCO, transform into a different offense, but his same offenses at CU were generally inconsistent. Yes they won the North 4 years while he was at the helm, but that was at a time when the North was very, very weak. I guess the North still is weak. The thing is when his offenses were very good at CU guess what, he had NFL talent he was playing with. 2001 loaded o-line and RBs, and a couple of the later years when he had NFL talent at wide reciever and TE's with Joel Klatt managing the WCO. The same thing can be said at Auburn.

Watson is a good coach, but the reason why the WCO is generally inconsistent, like you see here at NU, is because it requires too many pieces to the puzzle for it to be successful at the college level. See USC only.

This is a waste of a thread. Could it be that our OL can't run-block worth a darn? Give Watson and the rest of the staff time. Way, way too early to talk about firing a coach. :koolaid2:

:yeah

Could we agree that watson was only kept around probally becase of callahans players and to ease into the transition of bos game plan. If watson doesnt work out this year he could be headed down the road. I think he was only kept around for ganz and ganz is gone this year. The last few rements of a bad staff gone for good. But thats just my opinion.

I said this two weeks ago before the VT game and people didn't agree with me.

So you really think Bo has a clue about what he wants for an Offense?

Or even gives it a thought?

He should buy a clue and figure out what he wants this team's identity to be. It's getting so frustrating that every week it looks like Nebraska is trying a bit of everything to see if anything works.

And pleeeeeeeease. Use one freakin' running back. The three running backs being rotated is real cute, but it's not working. Stick with one and see what he can do.

Still...

Better than forcing square pegs into round holes like Cally did.

Kiffin is not coming to NU. End of story.

Yeah...?

Neither was Bo.

What style of offense does Lane Kiffin run again? Wasn’t it the West Coast offense? Also there is some debate as to whether he really called the plays while at USC as opposed to Sarkisian. So he by no means is a “proven” OC, he may have also benefited by having Jarrett, Smith, Davis, Bush, White, and Leinart.

Also he was a Head Coach in the NFL making solid bank. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think he would come to NU to be an OC for what $200,000 a year when he could go be a HC somewhere for 5 times that.

How about if we keep Watson?

I said this in a different thread, but it probably fits better here:

Watson isn't an idiot, contrary to what I have said before. I think what Watson needs more than anything is an identity. He needs to look at the players he currently has on offense and give them an identity. What can they do? Better yet, what can they do very, very well?

Every good team now has an identity. Something they are known for and something they do very well. It's up to Watson (and company) to figure out what that is for t his offense.

I am well aware that going into the season the offense wasn't supposed to have any problem moving the ball. You know what? Things don't always go as planned.

Seems to me execution is the much bigger problem than play calling, especially along the offensive line. I don't know where to assign that blame, but my inclination is to put it on the position coaches.

The coaches aren't the ones on the field. The coaches don't miss blocks or false start. The coaches don't hold. All the coaches can do is teach and motivate, they do not play the game.

The coaches are doing their best, as are the players. People just need to relax.

Seems to me execution is the much bigger problem than play calling, especially along the offensive line. I don't know where to assign that blame, but my inclination is to put it on the position coaches.

The coaches aren't the ones on the field. The coaches don't miss blocks or false start. The coaches don't hold. All the coaches can do is teach and motivate, they do not play the game.

The coaches are doing their best, as are the players. People just need to relax.

Yes but it is the coaches job to make sure the players are ready to execute. That happens at practice and is dictated by the coaches.

Look there's enough blame to go around for both the coaches and players. It's a combination.

The offense (for the rest of this year anyway) needs to ready for a shootout in every game because this D is stopping nobody. 5 wide everytime and just heave it down the field if it doesn't work so be it but nothing else can happen to embarass this program more than it has been.

This has got be a basketball mentality from here on out till Bo gets "his" players and decides what identity this team as a whole is going to have. If after 4 years things haven't changed well........

Yes but it is the coaches job to make sure the players are ready to execute. That happens at practice and is dictated by the coaches.

Look there's enough blame to go around for both the coaches and players. It's a combination.

That kind of teaching goes on in spring and fall practice, and practice before a bowl game. During the season practice is geared toward game-planning for the next opponent.

This coaching staff has only had one spring and one fall to work with these kids. And we have to remember, only the one performing can prepare themselves to perform. It is ultimately the player's responsibility to prepare himself, motivate himself, and go out on to the field and execute.

This is what I really believe to be the difference between the previous Nebraska staffs and Callahan's staff. Callhan recruited atheltic ability, and the previous staffs recruited athletic ability and attitude.

I really think Beck is in line to replace Watson after this year or next. Beck is opening doors for us in Texas, and is a solid recruiter. He is by trade a WR coach, not a RB coach.

I see Gilmore and Watson departing together either after this year, or next. Beck will take over the OC duties and WR duties, then will bring in a new QB coach.

I know this is the internet, but where did you get this from?? The reason I ask is because it seems to be an entertaining thought with the recruitment and cross fingers, signed Cody Green.

Look at the past, Beck graduated high school with Carl. Tim has been an offensive coordinator in the past, and his job at KU was recievers coach and passing game coordinator. He has never been a running backs coach according to his bio. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...p;Q_SEASON=2008

Pelini and Beck discussed coaching together back when Bo was here in 2003.

It's just my hunch that Tim Beck didn't make a move to NU without the thought of becomming the OC.

How about if we keep Watson?

I said this in a different thread, but it probably fits better here:

Watson isn't an idiot, contrary to what I have said before. I think what Watson needs more than anything is an identity. He needs to look at the players he currently has on offense and give them an identity. What can they do? Better yet, what can they do very, very well?

Every good team now has an identity. Something they are known for and something they do very well. It's up to Watson (and company) to figure out what that is for t his offense.

I am well aware that going into the season the offense wasn't supposed to have any problem moving the ball. You know what? Things don't always go as planned.

I will agree, comments this week have indicated they realize we have a finess offensive line right now (as well as RB's). I hope this means less 2 tight end set and bunched reciever sets that we saw this weekend. That enables teams to get their 8-9 guys in the box and makes us easier to defend. Line up with 3 wides, one back and a tight end, you CAN spread the field and open up running lanes without going to the spread offense. Our backs are to constrained in the power game, they need space to excel. Also we need speed in the slots to take advantage of LB on WR situations or LB on RB situations. Most linebackers couldn't cover Helu or Lucky if Ganz had enough time to throw, so motion them out every now and then and see what happens.