Larry Asante

From the LJS and the secondary coach, Asante blew the coverage on the 4th and 5...do you really think Bo was dumb enough to put single coverage on Crabtree in that situation?

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2008/10/12...40598613788.txt

With the game tied at 24 and Tech facing a fourth-and-5 from its 36 with barely more than four minutes remaining, the Red Raiders lined up to go for it. Then they actually snapped the ball and ended up with a 47-yard pass from Graham Harrell to Michael Crabtree.

Now, whether the Red Raiders really wanted to go for it or not? That’s tough to say.

“That was tough, because I think they thought our defensive tackle jumped,” Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said. “I think they had a no play called. They thought our D-tackle jumped and the center snapped the ball, but the official didn’t throw the flag. Everyone kind of stopped. It’s just one of those freak things that kind of happens in sports.”

Even Leach said: “Well, we were hoping he was offside. I was thinking he was.”

No matter the intent, the result was monumental. Though Husker cornerback Armando Murillo finally made the tackle on Crabtree, NU secondary coach Marvin Sanders said it wasn’t Murillo’s fault. The senior was supposed to have help from a safety. The help wasn’t there. Tech put the ball in the end zone to go up 31-24 with 2:21 left.

I stand corrected.

Asante is decent at run support.

But he has no clue in pass defense. His fault on the 4th and 5. Chose to double up on the short post route, and let Crabtree go downfield without a look.

He has done this before. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Bo's got some work to do in terms of recruiting, that's for sure!

I thought that was Murillo

The play I'm thinking of was clearly the Armadillo.

From the LJS and the secondary coach, Asante blew the coverage on the 4th and 5...do you really think Bo was dumb enough to put single coverage on Crabtree in that situation?

With the game tied at 24 and Tech facing a fourth-and-5 from its 36 with barely more than four minutes remaining, the Red Raiders lined up to go for it. Then they actually snapped the ball and ended up with a 47-yard pass from Graham Harrell to Michael Crabtree.

Now, whether the Red Raiders really wanted to go for it or not? That’s tough to say.

“That was tough, because I think they thought our defensive tackle jumped,” Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said. “I think they had a no play called. They thought our D-tackle jumped and the center snapped the ball, but the official didn’t throw the flag. Everyone kind of stopped. It’s just one of those freak things that kind of happens in sports.”

No matter the intent, the result was monumental. Though Husker cornerback Armando Murillo finally made the tackle on Crabtree, NU secondary coach Marvin Sanders said it wasn’t Murillo’s fault. The senior was supposed to have help from a safety. The help wasn’t there. Tech put the ball in the end zone to go up 31-24 with 2:21 left.

When Grixby was here that is pretty much what always happened when he got "burned." People always seem to blame the corners when the safeties blow their coverage.

I stand corrected.

but it's not solely on Asante in that position either. Murillo SHOULD NEVER have let a receiver the quality of crabtree behind him... thats pretty basic. no?

I stand corrected.

but it's not solely on Asante in that position either. Murillo SHOULD NEVER have let a receiver the quality of crabtree behind him... thats pretty basic. no?

i'm going to go with coach sanders on this one

Murillo was supposed to have help from the safety. He can't leave his responsibility to chase Crabtree. Asante did have a lot of TD saving tackles, but it makes me wonder, if he wasn't in the right position to begin with. Secondary needs to step up and quit repeating the same mistakes over and over.

That said, I'm not sure the O-Line really played that much better, or if the playcalling just kept TT offbalance enough to hide the lack of a good push from the line. Maybe I'm wrong here. They did execute the plan well enough to win, and that's all we can ask for. Put yourself in a position to win. Once we've been there a couple of times, maybe we'll learn how to finish it. The remaining games don't look so bad now.

OU is my upset special. I've called it all year. I still feel that we win that game. GO BIG RED!

I stand corrected.

No probably not. It was sort of half and half on crabtree. Murillo got caught looking in the back field and Asante had a lot of ground to cover and probably some responsibility on another receiver in the middle of the field.

I stand corrected.

No probably not. It was sort of half and half on crabtree. Murillo got caught looking in the back field and Asante had a lot of ground to cover and probably some responsibility on another receiver in the middle of the field.

From watching the Neb Football Show and using DVR to pause and rewind I watched that play over and over. It appears it was a straight Cover 2. Murillo is to have mid to short flat, linebackers the middle, the nickel back the other side flat, free safety center, SS (Asante) deep third (Murillo's side) and the opposite CB deep third. The main problem, and the reason that Asante mis read the play is because the front 7 gave up on the play. The DL didn't rush, the LB dropped all their responsibilities, thus making the secondary have to react quickly. Asante probably made the decision to take that post route because that is the easiest throw against a cover 2 and he had to act quickly. Murillo didn't have a choice because by the time he went to release Crabtree Asante was so out of position, due to covering the job of the LB, that he was beat. All comes down to, as Carl Pelini said, the oddness of the play itself and that most thought it would be blown dead. Play to the whistle, right?

Pelini believes strongly in the zone blitz scheme, and relys on different variations of zone for his coverage. It is a principal from the NFL that works fantastic when run correctly. The problem is that when one breakdown occurs, you don't have the backup like you do in a 2 deep man scheme that NU typically ran in TO's days. It is a better system for today's game, and once the system is understood, it will be dominant. Look at the tapes from NU '03. That system has evolved and gotten better as evidenced by LSU last year. Truly beautiful if you watch the disguises and blitzes from the secondary. Don't know how a QB could read this defense. Probably why he's been so good.

Sorry for the rant.

I stand corrected.

From watching the Neb Football Show and using DVR to pause and rewind I watched that play over and over. It appears it was a straight Cover 2. Murillo is to have mid to short flat, linebackers the middle, the nickel back the other side flat, free safety center, SS (Asante) deep third (Murillo's side) and the opposite CB deep third. The main problem, and the reason that Asante mis read the play is because the front 7 gave up on the play. The DL didn't rush, the LB dropped all their responsibilities, thus making the secondary have to react quickly. Asante probably made the decision to take that post route because that is the easiest throw against a cover 2 and he had to act quickly. Murillo didn't have a choice because by the time he went to release Crabtree Asante was so out of position, due to covering the job of the LB, that he was beat. All comes down to, as Carl Pelini said, the oddness of the play itself and that most thought it would be blown dead. Play to the whistle, right?

Pelini believes strongly in the zone blitz scheme, and relys on different variations of zone for his coverage. It is a principal from the NFL that works fantastic when run correctly. The problem is that when one breakdown occurs, you don't have the backup like you do in a 2 deep man scheme that NU typically ran in TO's days. It is a better system for today's game, and once the system is understood, it will be dominant. Look at the tapes from NU '03. That system has evolved and gotten better as evidenced by LSU last year. Truly beautiful if you watch the disguises and blitzes from the secondary. Don't know how a QB could read this defense. Probably why he's been so good.

Sorry for the rant.

I feel just dumber as a person now since I didn't pay attention to the play and coverage and know this. :lol: Excellent observations........... :thumbs