Back up Qb and next year

HANC

Just creating a topic for hypothetical scenarios........

What if Ganz goes down......is it Lee or Witt......and do either of these guys give us a chance to win. What does anyone know about each...

Next year, Lee or Witt, or will it be a newcomer? Cody Green or Spano?

I personally think it will be Lee, but not based on much.

What if Ganz goes down......is it Lee or Witt......and do either of these guys give us a chance to win. What does anyone know about each...

My hope is that Green comes in during the spring and beats out all of them and we have a 4 year starter at QB.

My hope is that Green comes in during the spring and beats out all of them and we have a 4 year starter at QB.

more likely that it will be a RS and then a year backing up one of the seniors... but 3 years as a starter is still pretty good

We would be sitting a lot of talent with the Qbs that we have if Green came in and beat everyone out, but hey why not when we are trying to rebuild the face of the program. He looks like he could be the real deal that no one knows too much about. Spano sounds like he has a good future though. If I had to pick between Witt and Lee though I'd probably stick the big guy in Witt in there and see if he can manage our offense.

I believe it was Tom Lookinbill (sp) national recruiting guru that was on the local radio last week (1620 the zone) and he felt as if Green might be a year or two away, but also compared his size to Terrell Pryor, but admitted that he was not the athlete Pryor is....... basically told nebraska fans to not expect too much too soon, but that Green has a tremendous "upside" and could develop into a "Tommie Frazier" type of QB at Nebraska.

Not that I take the "analysts" word as gospel, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Green redshirt and that is why I think Lee will be the guy next year. Hopefully, the guy who said Spano is going to be a stud is correct. Lee gives us a better "running" option in the spread offense.

We would be sitting a lot of talent with the Qbs that we have if Green came in and beat everyone out, but hey why not when we are trying to rebuild the face of the program. He looks like he could be the real deal that no one knows too much about. Spano sounds like he has a good future though. If I had to pick between Witt and Lee though I'd probably stick the big guy in Witt in there and see if he can manage our offense.

This, my friends is a wonderful conversation. Which of potentially four excellent QB's will emerge? What a great position NU is in --- even if 1/2 these guys do not pan out as being what they were cracked up to be (which is probably too pessimistic a view) then we still have two young guys who can be excellent. This is so much better a situation than what has been the case.

So.... I do not care which one --- Spano, Lee, Witt, or Green ends up the man --- I simply know that between the four of them NU should be set for 3 -4 years (maybe 5 years) at QB. That position is a great one to be in.

Witt was recruited under Cally to play the WCO, so if we stick with what we are going to call a "WCO", then I say Witt. If we go more towards a spread, Lee.

I don't think we'll have a true freshmen starting at QB.

I agree - no true freshman will start at quarterback.

BUT...

I wonder if the coaching staff might create some packages specifically for Spano or Green; i.e., some spread option that is tilted heavily to the option. That allows them the luxury of easing the transition to either a spread option, giving the young guys some experience and confidence by putting them in situations best suited to their current level of talent, and providing a "curve ball" to defenses.

I maybe should have elaborated on what I said.

I said I HOPE Green comes in and BEATS out the rest.

I don't care what some National Guru says.

If Cody could come in here and beat out Spano, Lee and Witt, he would be worthy of foregoing the RS.

I'm not against starting a true freshman QB, it may make for a long year that year, but pays huge dividends later in the career. You learn a lot more going 8-4 as a true freshman starter than you do in a RS year IMO.

To be realistic Green may lack enough mental talent to overtake those 3. In that case I suspect it will be Spano or Lee. I agree with the assessment that we are moving toward a spread option, which is why I WANT Green to be the man.

I see comments that nobody wants a true freshman starting, yet you are nervous about a QB starting with no experience. If you are playing a new QB every two years or one year as it has been lately, you always have a QB with no experience. If you start a true freshman, you have a true freshman for one year, then a experienced starter for 3.