Questions I have

Disclaimer: This in NO WAY is a thread to call for the Almighty Bo’s (or any of his chosen staffs) head(s). It’s not, so don’t come at me with that crap. If you can’t question things going on then what is the point of having a voice?

How is a kid not being in the right position during the 9th game of the year and most of the first 8 for that matter a talent issue?

How is a team that gets penalty after penalty, misses tackles, misses assignments not undisciplined?

Is making a bowl at 6-6 really a step in the right direction? (How many bowl games are there again? I know the practice time is good but seriously)

Why are the next 3 games winnable when we haven’t proven that we can stop any good offenses? (KSU passed all over OU and for the record we are freaking underdogs this weekend)

Why do we still play guys that look lost from the opening kickoff?

Why is it alright for Bo to talk to the media (just doing their jobs) or officials the way he does?

How many more loses with the coaching staff saying “We didn’t have them prepared” before people start questioning these coaches ability? (not just the ones with a connection to Billy C)

If things don’t improve next year does Bo fire his brother or do we go through another Billy/Coz thing?

Does Bo ever stop just paying attention to the defense during games?

If Bo hasn’t won a North title by year 3 do we panic?

What kid from last years or this years recruiting class is supposed to be that stud recruit that starts the transition up? (not on offense either)

If things don’t improve in the next few years does this tarnish Dr. Tom’s reputation?

Now that Va Tech is turning out to be a very average team how bad does that loss look? (remove Va Tech insert Mizzou)

Do people still think Joe Ganz will play on Sundays?

Why don’t the biggest Blowout in Memorial Stadium (Mizzou) history or the most points ever scored by OU in that series not bother some people?

Why does our Coach and some of our “Leaders” on the field always looked confused and frazzled when we get jacked in the mouth?

How many people across the state were Bo Pelini for Halloween?

Like I said earlier these are just questions I have about the team right now and in the future. Once again I’m not calling for anybodies head because at the end of the day what would that really solve anyway.

Everything will be alright tomorrow though because we will have a new president and the mess we live in now will be back to all holding hands running through fields together. Peace on earth, good well towards man and the Huskers will start winning again. <_<

I said some of the same things here during half time of the MU game and got called a d*&ck bag, bad fan, fair weather fan etc., yet I still have some of those same questions. And I'm with you I am not calling for anyone's head, I certainly don't blame the coaches for the first 6 minutes of the OU game.

I think Bo is the right person for the job. Time will tell though. It'll be interesting to see how they respond this weekend.

it will take time man. it always does to answer your first three I will repost what I have on many threads....

look at ou first year under stoops. look at the strength of schedule. look at saban last year.... look at the strength of schedule. so you expect pelini to be better than them??

also keep in mind that the very next year both teams were top 5 teams. did both teams add large amounts of talent???? no!! they just took a year to pick stuff up. we need to stop expecting everyone to be tom osbourne and look around at other places. look at CU's rebuilding process. look at KSU. look at how long it took mangino to get a halfway decent team... look at how long pinkle struggled

In a new system, with a new coaching staff, there are going to be mistakes all year long. Even though this was the 9th game of the season, every week is different, especially in the Big XII. Oklahoma's fast paced, no huddle offense leaves its opponents with little to no time to diagnose the offense's formation and make the appropriate adjustments. That's a big reason why NU had several blown coverages. But NU's defense isn't exactly the only one to get torched by OU. No one's really stopped that offense this year.

The other element is that good talent and athletic ability can compensate for a misread play. If you have the speed to run down a receiver then you can afford to take a second look into the backfield, etc.

When you're unfamiliar with the system and the game is moving at warp speed you're going to find yourself out of position. When that happens, you commit penalties, miss tackles, etc. This is especially true in the secondary. One second of hesitation and you're 5 yards behind the receiver.

Honestly, all of those issues are a byproduct of working with a new staff and a new system. Look at Alabama last year, their first year under Nick Saban. They had a good midseason run and beat Tennesse and Ole Miss, but then they went out and got beat by Louisiana - Monroe towards the end of the year. This year they're at the top of the BCS. I'm not saying that's where Nebraska will be next year. But, I am saying that it takes at least a full season before the entire team (minus the incoming freshmen) is really comfortable with the schemes and individual packages.

Lots of good questions but it is really about 15 threads worth of discussion.

If you think lining up out of position, dumb penalties, and missing tackles is killing us- think about what it is doing to the coaching staff.

I think Bo says some of the things he does because he knows the team psyche behind the scenes. They sure do mess up a lot but they are playing hard.

I think he gets away with some of this stuff now, because Callahan was so bad. I don't mind the way Bo talks to the press. I hated Callahan's smug condescending nothing is wrong here press conferences.

In Bo's first year he will have a better record than Cally, with a tougher schedule, using players that quit last year.

Yes, a 6-6 bowl team is better than a 5-7 debacle.

I feel like something special is gonna happen with this staff. I never felt that way with the last staff. I tried to play along and believe we were really good enough to be ranked #14 last year but deep down, I didn't buy it.

Maybe in 4 years we are all calling for Bo's head as well.

oh, and no......that would do nothing to TO's legacy. At least not for me.

How is a kid not being in the right position during the 9th game of the year and most of the first 8 for that matter a talent issue?

>> Not enough speed/athleticism to get into postion/cover their responsibilities/make the play

How is a team that gets penalty after penalty, misses tackles, misses assignments not undisciplined?

>> The penalty thing is bothersome to say the least. As for the second and third part of your question...see my answer to question #1.

Is making a bowl at 6-6 really a step in the right direction? (How many bowl games are there again? I know the practice time is good but seriously)

>> Seriously?!? Consider the alternative...

Why are the next 3 games winnable when we haven’t proven that we can stop any good offenses? (KSU passed all over OU and for the record we are freaking underdogs this weekend)

>> Because they're all winnable...otherwise they wouldn't play them on the field... *sigh*

>> Could it be these individuals are the best alternative?

Why is it alright for Bo to talk to the media (just doing their jobs) or officials the way he does?

>> Ummm...because he's "just doing his job"... You (or I for that matter) may not agree with his methodology...but that doesn't make it wrong.

How many more loses with the coaching staff saying "We didn’t have them prepared" before people start questioning these coaches ability? (not just the ones with a connection to Billy C)

>> I don't know...

If things don’t improve next year does Bo fire his brother or do we go through another Billy/Coz thing?

>> I don't know...

>> I don't know...

>> Hard to say sitting here today how I or anyone else will feel about this program in 2-3 years.

What kid from last years or this years recruiting class is supposed to be that stud recruit that starts the transition up? (not on offense either)

>> I think (for whatever that's worth)...Will Compton, Alfonso Dennard, Sean Fisher, Matt Holt, John Levorson, Cameron Meredith, Baker Steinkuhler, Chris Whaley, Josh Williams...from 2008 recruiting class...and as for 2009's class...I'll wait to say until they make it to campus... Oh...and I purposely didn't mention any freshman from the offense as you requested.

If things don’t improve in the next few years does this tarnish Dr. Tom’s reputation?

>> Not to me...no...

Now that Va Tech is turning out to be a very average team how bad does that loss look? (remove Va Tech insert Mizzou)

>> Who knows...we are a different team now as are they... What does our game with TTU say about them? nothing...

>> I think that's up to Joe himself...he'll play on Sunday's if he's a mind to...

Why don’t the biggest Blowout in Memorial Stadium (Mizzou) history or the most points ever scored by OU in that series not bother some people?

>> First...let me say that it (they) DO bother me...but...frankly...neither were unexpected I'm afraid...

Why does our Coach and some of our "Leaders" on the field always looked confused and frazzled when we get jacked in the mouth?

>> Lack of Confidence (IMHO)

>> QFT

As others have said, these are good questions, but we will only see in time. It's too early to start really questioning this staff. Changing a culture takes time, and it's clear that it's not really in these kids' heads yet, though there's been a lot of talk about it.

The lack of discipline is what's most disturbing. I have a feeling this will never quite go away, but we're going to see improvement.

Talent isn't just about being fast and agile, I think intellegence is just as important. In this case I have to go back to Bo's body of work the 5 previous years before this one and see that the job he did was not a fluke. This coaching staff was all involved in those successes in some part.

I concur 100% on the penalties. I thought the team got better in this area after Bo instituted the running sprints plan, but this team has regressed again.

I would say that it is an improvement since the record was 5-7 last year. Since when is an improvement in the record not a sign of getting better. Isn't that what this is all about? The extra practices will also definately help. I also think it helps recruiting, I don't care that there are a lot of bowl games out there. In my mind it almost makes it a must do to achieve a bowl berth because if you don't recruits know how bad your team must be.

Well KU is only a 3 point favorite, their W/L record is only one game better than NU, and I think the team will rebound well (see TT on the road). KSU has been equally inconsistent and very bad at times, as has NU, but their record is worse so I have to go with NU on this one. CU appears to be regressing the past 2-3 weeks with no sign of improvement. NU is 2-1 in that same period, I would definately take NU.

There is no one else to play is my guess. The roster isn't that deep. All of the top 7-8 DB's have played significant time this year. I am not sure who else you want them to play?

I watched all of his press conferences this year and I frankly don't have an issue with how he handles the media. He gets surley at times, but I don't see him berating the media. He gives honest answers. As far as yelling at the refs, other than TO almost every college game I watch, and frankly I watch a lot of CFB, the coaches are yelling at the refs.

How many more loses with the coaching staff saying “We didn’t have them prepared” before people start questioning these coaches ability? (not just the ones with a connection to Billy C)

If this team takes a nose dive and goes 0-3 down the stretch, then I will really start to question what is going on with this staff.

I honestly don't know how loyal Bo will be. One of his strengths thus far appears to be evaluating where the team is at. If he can't make the change that is needed, then Bo will have to answer for it same as Callahan.

It appears from the telecasts that he is into the game when on offense as well, however without some insider talking about the atmosphere during a game this is an impossible, and therefore unfair to ask, question to answer.

Bo gets the same shot Callahan did. I would say yes at that point, with only salvation coming in year 4. I don't think this will be a problem though.

Wow on this one. I guess you aren't that high on Compton or Fisher then? How about Dennard? How about Williams coming in this year's class? While they haven't closed on them yet, conventional knowledge right now is that they have a GREAT shot at some really good D-lineman, such at Heimuli, and Defensive Backs, such as Logan.

I don't think so.

So VT being a 5-3 team and MU being 7-2 aren't good teams? Pretty sure both are going to be in bowls. Losing to bowl teams, while it sucks, looking at where NU was last year can't be a horrible thing.

I think he would have to get an invite to a camp and really open some eyes. Small chance, but I think he will get looks.

Not sure who you are referring to, but I personally wanted to throw up after that one. I was impressed by what the team did the following 3 weeks, looking for the same this time.

Why does our Coach and some of our “Leaders” on the field always looked confused and frazzled when we get jacked in the mouth?

I was looking the same way in the first 5 minutes of the game on Saturday. I am not sure anyone could see that series of events coming.

In NY none.

Good questions and I agree and disagree with the points that you have made. I personally think the team is heading in the right direction and if we finish 7-5 or 8-4 that's a good improvement over last season with a first year coach. We do need to start beating the Top 10 teams that we are playing and shake that tag quickly because it's getting annoying. I think part of the problem with this team is unlearning the crap that Callahan and Co. taught them and instilling Bo's ideas and coaching style. It just takes some time...........

I jive with most of the responses that have been given. I just have a few more thoughts.

As for the Alabama and OU comparison I would be interested in seeing how many returning starters they had compared to what we bring back next year. This is just off the top of my head who we loss:

QB – Ganz

RB – Lucky

WR – Peterson & Swift

OL – Slauson & Murtha (Huff as well)

DL – Steinkulher & Potter

LB – Glenn & Wortman

DB – Murillo

So from my counts that is all of our top playmakers and for what it worth our 2 best OL. Throw in arguably our top DE, LB and DB along with Steinkuhler who has been playing well all year. Maybe I’m wrong but compared to those 2 teams I would doubt that they lost that much. I could be wrong though.

The guy that mentioned recruits from last years class isn’t Fisher the only one that doesn’t have returners in front of them? Dennard has West, Hagg and Blue, Williams/Meredith has Turner/Allen, Compton has Dillard and Wald has Thenarse, Culburt, Asante and gulp O’Hanlon. Maybe they will all jump those dudes but who knows.

Finally I’m not hip with today’s internet lingo, what does QFT mean? I guess I could ask my kids that way I’m down with things.

QFT means quoted for truth...whatever that means

the deer in the headlights thing needs to stop...that's the only problem i have with the big losses.

also, we need a quarterback that's accurate. i'm sorry, when you play WCO and you throw 5-8 yard crossing and slant routes, you're gonna have a good completion percentage. the stat that matters is touchdown to interception ratio...which is 2 to 1. not very good my friends. it's not joe dailey, but it's joe ganz.

Disclaimer: This in NO WAY is a thread to call for the Almighty Bo’s (or any of his chosen staffs) head(s). It’s not, so don’t come at me with that crap. If you can’t question things going on then what is the point of having a voice?

excellent point

it's seems very undisciplined.

yes, and while a small step, I am optimistic this team could finish 9-4.

While we haven't shown the ability to stop a decent offense, I think those games are winnable because we've shown we can score on mediocre defenses.

it's all we have?

I think he is actually very candid with the media. As for the officials, hopefully he's learning from this.

5-8 blowouts, 9-16 close losses.

Now that is a great question and one I've asked myself. I think Carl has a much longer leash than Cosgrove because Bo has stated on a number of occasions that he is in charge of the defense.

I couln't tell you that.

Most will. If it hasn't even been contested, everyone will.

I hate to label anyone the cornerstone of a program turnaround before they play a down. We've been burned by that before.

No.

Considering we're average at best...it looks about average.

Still?

I don't think many are ok with it, but blowouts and high scores are becoming a norm in today's world of college football.

I dunno, I look the same way.

I was Sara Palin.

Like I said earlier these are just questions I have about the team right now and in the future. Once again I’m not calling for anybodies head because at the end of the day what would that really solve anyway.

Everything will be alright tomorrow though because we will have a new president and the mess we live in now will be back to all holding hands running through fields together. Peace on earth, good well towards man and the Huskers will start winning again. <_<

Tell the truth…you’re a closet Barney Basher and you know it!

I follow old people down the interstate who will have their blinkers going for 100 miles without planning on turning…yet we still give them drivers licenses…think about that Mister.

They don’t get off the plane at 9:00 pm after a loss to Illinois and end up in jail by 1:00 am for attacking a bouncer at one of the local bars. You want undisciplined? Go to Iowa City and visit the Johnson County lock-up on any given Sunday.

A step away from the edge of a cliff…no matter how small a step…is still better than falling off a cliff.

Because all the opponents are from the North…which means the defenses equally suck which means the offenses will determine the winners. Colorado may be offensive but they have no offense, KSU has an offense in the 4th quarter against 2nd stringers…Kansas sometimes has an offense and sometimes doesn’t.

Because you wouldn’t walk on and show them all how it is supposed to be done big guy!

Yeah…and that damn Bobby Knight. Sombitch should have been fired before he got to be so damn successful….

As many as it took for you to ask just now.

Nope…Bo can never fire Carl because of that time at the farm when Carl caught him with that….uh…never mind.

If he stops paying attention to the defense then I’ll be pretty worried.

You mean you haven’t already?

We’ll have to wait for Rivals to anoint someone for us cuz we're just dumb ol fans...

Being a congressman tarnished Dr. Tom’s reputation. He’s just now getting it back after working in government.

How good does that win against Iowa State look? Wanna give that one back to us?

Most people I talk to don’t…but they said the same thing about Kurt and Sage too. I talk to a lot of morons

Because most of us have real lives and the margin of loss has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Not confused…bemused!

Nobody…Bo went out on Halloween and any time he saw a kid dressed as him, he pushed him down, took away his candy and then kicked their parents….

All answers offered in the spirit of fun....