Assistant changes at end of season?

TheKiD

what is this BS about eckler being on the hot seat. we're not even done with the season and the LB coach is on the hot seat?...give the staff some time people

:yeah I am beginning to thing that there are some Husker fans on this board that have conditioned themselves to find the negatives and dwell on them. We win, and people still want to point fingers...is this the Curse of Callahan coming out, or what??

Wasn't going to bring this topic up because it belongs in "rumorville", but I did hear something this week. My wife gets to visit with a lot of former huskers in her line of work, and had lunch with a former husker great this week......sorry, I will not post names or reasons for meetings to save the confidentiality for the players involved, so go ahead and call me out, this is just info from one of the former players (rumors) anyway.

In fact, when they had lunch, this player was on the phone with TO....so he is very much in the loop.

He talked football and business with my wife, and he told her that 2 assistants would be out at end of season. Of course, being a woman (ha), but an advid Husker fan, she couldn't quite remember who, but thought it was Gilmore and Watson....... Makes sense though..... Brown used to coach all WR-TE so he could take Gilmore and at times Watson's offense hasn't done well, although I think he was a smart "keep" by Pelini, and I think he called a great game again today...

Once again, I mentioned Eckler and she said NO, it wasn't him. Remember, Watson-Gilmore were the only 2 hold-overs and usually when that happens, it is only for transition purposes.

Rumorville topic.....but because we are bowl eligible and playing fairly well, I am sure that this isn't the time to worry or complain about coaches.... they all need patted on the back and our support.

I don't think Watson has done that bad personally...the offense is putting up numbers...but I, like others, would like to see more rushing offense. Ganz has been very proficient with the short pass, which has made up for the lack of big rushing yard numbers this year. I see hope with Helu and Q, though...and think the tide may turn between now and next season. If you lose Watson, who do you replace him with? I think you better have some sort of plan to bring someone in that is very established, otherwise your starting over again.

Remember, RUMOR only and I personally hope that my wife got her wires mixed (which is obvious, cause she is with me)....but I really like Watson.... I think he has done pretty well.... Hate to start over, just to replace a guy with "HC guy"....hopefully this is only BS and we begin to keep staff in tact.....with TO in charge, he understands the importance of keeping guys around, so I would be surprised if he would highly support many changes.

Sounds like BS to me.

I don't see TO being down with Watson getting canned, he pushed for the guy and the guy has done as pretty solid job. We are averaging over 30pts and 400yds a game far into conference play. Perfect? No, but good enough to keep his job. Plus firing Watson might screw us up in getting Cody Green. Plus TO wanted Watson in, haven't seen nearly enough for Watson to be out.

Gilmore I could totally see before the season. I could still see it since Brown is a hell of a receivers coach and Gilmore isn't the need as recruiting coordinator he was during the transition. But wr was supposed to be a weakness going into the season, and it hasn't been, it's been a pleasant surprise. I don't know think Gilmore leaves unless Bo has an ace recruiting-guy he wants to bring in.

Ekeler? No way. He and Bo are boys, and Ek is an ace-recruiter. Glenn is just learning the position, Dillard is hurt half the time and we redshirted his backup, Wortman is a walk-on. Gotta give Ek benefit of the doubt. I'd say the defensive guys in general are Bo's guys and will get the benefit of the doubt.

Plus TO won't be down with willy-nilly firing, he'll want a good reason before guys get axed. He is looking to re-establish continuity and the"family" environment we had back when TO coached. That doesn't come with quick hooks.

My guess is nobody gets canned and if anyone does it's Gilmore.