Bo Pelini will have an awesome 2nd season

Aim9

With Ganz, Peterson and Swift gone I'm not quite sure. I hope they go early in the draft though, they deserve it. Anyway, you can say that the NFL Draft is our best friend, but it is not. But with Lucky leaving it isn't THAT big. Helu is ready to step up, he already has. He has proven he can be a starting running back, find the holes, and get big gains. So next year could be good, but it depends on Helu and Witt.

this is really jumping the gun. On top of that it really lacks the vision to look at your oppenents with any sort of critical eye. Assuming because a team loses starters that "they have lost their backbone & you liking your chances" but then neglecting to mention that NE will lose almost the entire O-line, the QB, both Wr's and TE. Thus leaving you with really only one or two proven players on O and a D that has only one big 'playmaker' in Suh. Not to mention obvious talent gaps.

Like I said in my earlier post, it is way too early to spectulate, but how is Nebraska losing "almost the entire O-line"? Nebraska will return three of its starters to the O-line. They lose Slauson and Murtha. Returning three out of five starters is hardly losing "the entire O-line". And our senior TE hasn't really done much all year except get into trouble. He's three deep on the depth chart. McNeill is better and also keep an eye on Ben Cotton.

But nevertheless...still WAY too early to predict anything for NEXT year.

My bad Michael, I thought they lost 3 of the 5. Still I would argue your two best. ;):lol:

P.S. - I fixed it for you. :)

this is really jumping the gun. On top of that it really lacks the vision to look at your oppenents with any sort of critical eye. Assuming because a team loses starters that "they have lost their backbone & you liking your chances" but then neglecting to mention that NE will lose almost the entire O-line, the QB, both Wr's and TE. Thus leaving you with really only one or two proven players on O and a D that has only one big 'playmaker' in Suh. Not to mention obvious talent gaps.

Like I said in my earlier post, it is way too early to spectulate, but how is Nebraska losing "almost the entire O-line"? Nebraska will return three of its starters to the O-line. They lose Slauson and Murtha. Returning three out of five starters is hardly losing "the entire O-line". And our senior TE hasn't really done much all year except get into trouble. He's three deep on the depth chart. McNeill is better and also keep an eye on Ben Cotton.

But nevertheless...still WAY too early to predict anything for NEXT year.

My bad Michael, I thought they lost 3 of the 5. Still I would argue your two best. ;):lol:

And Murtha was out vs. KU, so only 1 of 5 who played last game are lost.

But I don't disagree that there is a lot to fill, notably QB.

Also, the subtitle of the thread ("just like Stoops, Saban, Tressel, Meyer") is misleading, as Stoops is the only one to come in with no HC experience. And there is absolutely nothing to say that Pelini will follow any of their paths. Those guys are the exceptions, not the rule. We can hope that Pelini is an exception as well, or has his own path to great success.

Bo will have his work cut out for him this off-season. Depending on who he gets in the way of WR recruits this year, and so far I don't see any listed, 6 out of the 10 on our roster right now are freshmen.

85 Hyland, KC WR 6-6 195 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (Pius X)

82 Cammack, Wes WR 5-11 195 Jr. DeWitt, Neb. (Tri County)

46 Dixon, Taylor WR 5-11 170 Fr. Wauneta, Neb. (Wauneta-Palisade)

26 Osborne, Steven WR 6-4 185 Fr. Garland, Texas (South Garland)

24 Paul, Niles WR 6-1 210 So. Omaha, Neb. (Omaha North)

21 Marlowe, Tim WR 5-10 160 Fr. Youngstown, Ohio (Cardinal Mooney)

18 Holt, Menelik WR 6-4 220 Jr. San Diego, Calif. (St. Augustine)

11 Gilleylen, Curenski WR 6-0 210 RFr. Leander, Texas (Leander)

9 Lester, Ben WR 5-10 170 RFr. Tecumseh, Neb. (Tecumseh)

8 Henry, Will WR 6-5 220 So. El Paso, Texas (J.M. Hanks)

I haven't seen how most of them have played, so it should be nail-biting next year.

With Ganz, Peterson and Swift gone I'm not quite sure. I hope they go early in the draft though, they deserve it. Anyway, you can say that the NFL Draft is our best friend, but it is not. But with Lucky leaving it isn't THAT big. Helu is ready to step up, he already has. He has proven he can be a starting running back, find the holes, and get big gains. So next year could be good, but it depends on Helu and Witt.

I really really like Ganz, but I have a hard time seeing him going in the draft, and if he does it will be so late that he will not really have a shot at playing in the NFL, if even making a roster. Nebraska's reputation with QB's is not going to help him. There are also a lot of really good QB's out there. Peterson, and especially Swift will have no problem being drafted fairly early if they do well at the combines. I also see Murtha, Slauson, Glenn, Potter, Titchener, Turner, and probably Lucky being drafted...so it won't be a bad year for us as far as getting players drafted...though many may not make rosters.

We are losing a lot of talent this year...though I think we have the guy in place to make sure we have people that will be capable of replacing them. Ganz and Swift could be the toughest to replace, though we are going to have more holes in the defensive backfield also to fill.

Bo will have his work cut out for him this off-season. Depending on who he gets in the way of WR recruits this year, and so far I don't see any listed, 6 out of the 10 on our roster right now are freshmen.

I haven't seen how most of them have played, so it should be nail-biting next year.

:clap The good thing, when you have a need, and openings like we do, there are always those that will step up and do the job. I think we will have some players do that...and we have a lot of young guys, so if they do, they won't just play for a year and be gone.

lets not forget the people we gain next year. we get 2 starters back(turner and blue) we get compton, steinkuehler, williams, and get ricky henry for the line. I think we all know how deep we are at WR. really to me the only ? is QB. but who knows what injuries we will have between now and then. but lets also not act like having a QB that hasnt played a lot is a big deal. todd reesing had 14 completions before last year. ganz hardly played before keller went down... and we are pretty deep at that position as well.

I agree its too early to make predictions, but I dont think our losses will hurt us that much

lets not forget the people we gain next year. we get 2 starters back(turner and blue) we get compton, steinkuehler, williams, and get ricky henry for the line. I think we all know how deep we are at WR. really to me the only ? is QB. but who knows what injuries we will have between now and then. but lets also not act like having a QB that hasnt played a lot is a big deal. todd reesing had 14 completions before last year. ganz hardly played before keller went down... and we are pretty deep at that position as well.

I agree its too early to make predictions, but I dont think our losses will hurt us that much

I completely agree. Bo obviously made a concerted effort to create long term depth by redshirting alot of the incoming talent. Compton, Henry, etc. If the talk out of practice is to be believed, it appears many of the these players are outperforming the starters, on D anyway. The D-Fense should be much improved next year with these players contributing. Next year's team will have much fewer walkons contributing in major roles; I am a big fan of WO's like anyone else, but there is a difference between someone like O'Hanlon and the Safeties at other schools.

I don't care who you are (unless your USC), you are not always going to have 5 star talent at every position. You have to have a younger kid come into the program and step up. I think the future is looking really good. Look at how far this team has come in 3/4 of a season...

They have a long way to go before we are back to Top 10 form, but I can see it happening in the next couple of years. I think we definitely have the coaches we need (except we do need a special teams coach, Dr. Tom) to get the job done. We finally have coaches that actually "teach", which is what we were missing for 4 years at least.

It's odd that Matt Donahue isn't listed on the roster. Maybe because he is a transfer but I thought Jim Ebke transfered in the same period and he's listed.

It's odd that Matt Donahue isn't listed on the roster. Maybe because he is a transfer but I thought Jim Ebke transfered in the same period and he's listed.

I also thought Paul was a Jr. this year, did he somehow get back a year of eligibility?