How are BCS bowl teams picked

dustinl15

At least One will be knocked out by the time the season gets over.

I disagree, this is going to be a mess this season. OU will beat Texas Tech, Texas Tech will win its remaining game against Baylor, Texas will win out. OU and Texas will be at the mercy of the polls as to who gets in as the South Title game and ultimately the national title game. TT will have one loss against a top 5 team and will not fall outside the top 5 leaving 3 Big 12 teams in the top 5, with one left twisting in the wind.

Which team goes to which bowl will be decided by a bunch of secret handshake a$$hole$ that are about $$$, not what is a better game or better for fans.

I agree. The south will have 3 one loss teams and will be at the mercy of the pollsters to see who gets to play in the championship game. Now, here's the scary part. What if TT plays for the south and gets beat by Mizzou? Then we have a complete mess. The BCS breathed a huge sigh of relief when Penn State lost, but I don't think they're out of the woods yet.

Conference champs are automatic.

There are a few other automatics.

After that the BCS bowls can choose among qualified teams, but not more than 2 per conference. There is absolutely nothing to prevent the #5 non-conf champ team from being left out while the #14 team gets in, even if the #5 would be only the second team from it's conference. And it is certainly out if 2 teams from it's conference are already in.

http://collegebcs.com is a great source for this. See the FAQ, http://collegebcs.com/bcsfaq.html

Which teams are eligible for BCS bowls?

The automatic qualification standards are not the same for all teams. The teams are divided into four groups: automatic qualifying (AQ) conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac Ten, SEC), non-automatic qualifying conferences (C-USA, MAC, Mtn West, Sun Belt, WAC), Notre Dame, and other independents.

There are ten spots in the five BCS bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and the title game). Under no circumstance may a conference place more than two teams in the BCS games. With that in mind, the following teams automatically qualify for one of those spots. (In order of preference. All ranking criteria refer to the final BCS standings unless otherwise noted.)

1. The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.

2. AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking. Exception: If the #1 and #2 teams are from the same conference and neither is the champion, then the champion of that conference will not participate in the BCS.

3. The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.

4. Notre Dame, if it finishes in the top eight.

5. The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.

6. The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot and no team qualifies under rule 5.

If there are still open spots after all that, then any team can be selected by a BCS bowl if it:

- Has 9 wins against I-A opponents, and is rated in the top 14 of the BCS standings, or

- Is a non-AQ conference champion and meets the qualification standard in #3, but was not the highest-rated team to do so.

Once every four years, a team may count a win against a I-AA opponent toward the nine needed for BCS-eligibility. So far, no one has used that exception.

Note that for independents not named Notre Dame, the only way to automatically qualify is to finish #1 or #2.

Also, the #3 provision only applies to the champions of the non-AQ leagues. That means, for example, if TCU were to finish 11-1, but have that loss be to Utah, which is 8-4 overall, but 8-0 in Mtn West play, then TCU could not automatically qualify under rule #3 no matter how high it is ranked.

There is a pecking order for which bowl gets to choose first. See the FAQ for that too.

In it's infinite wisdom, I don't see that the BCS has any provision for what happens if the Big 12 and SEC dominate the top 14, such that they can't fill the 10 bowls spots under their rules. That probably won't happen this year because of Boise and Utah, but it would happen in a situation like this:

Spots 1-6 are filled by the 6 conferences champs, all ranked in the top 14.

Spots 7, 8 and 9 are filled by a team from each of the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10. Those teams must be in the top 14 or they can't get in.

No non-BCS conference schools are in the top 14, nor are any other Big 10, ACC or Big East schools. The Big 12, SEC, and Pac 10 have the other 5 spots in the top 14.

Very unlikely, but...who gets the remaining spot? Do you go past #14, or do you allow 3 from a conference?

We actually were pretty close to this a year or two ago.

I disagree, this is going to be a mess this season. OU will beat Texas Tech, Texas Tech will win its remaining game against Baylor, Texas will win out. OU and Texas will be at the mercy of the polls as to who gets in as the South Title game and ultimately the national title game. TT will have one loss against a top 5 team and will not fall outside the top 5 leaving 3 Big 12 teams in the top 5, with one left twisting in the wind.

Which team goes to which bowl will be decided by a bunch of secret handshake a$$hole$ that are about $$$, not what is a better game or better for fans.

My assumption was that if all 3 finished with 1 loss, that OU would leap frog Texas and TTech and make it to the CCG. Sucks, but if you are going to lose, do it early like OU. Either way, if all 3 finish with one loss someone is getting screwed, just like Mizzou last year. Okie St could always spoil OU's dreams like they have in the past.

I like that way you put it. 1 of those 3 could get screwed because only 2 teams are allowed in and at that point it will just come down to the money. All another reason that we need an 8 team playoff.

Exactly the reason we need a playoff system IMHO.

My assumption was that if all 3 finished with 1 loss, that OU would leap frog Texas and TTech and make it to the CCG. Sucks, but if you are going to lose, do it early like OU. Either way, if all 3 finish with one loss someone is getting screwed, just like Mizzou last year. Okie St could always spoil OU's dreams like they have in the past.

It'd all come down to the polls... b/c their losses are all against each other.

It'd all come down to the polls... b/c their losses are all against each other.

Yep, and since OU lost later in the year, they had more time to recover, they will probably move past Texas with 2 late wins against quality opponents and Tech would fall behind both, despite beating Texas. Yes, Tech controls their own destiny, but I would be shocked if they went into Norman and pulled off the upset there.