Gator Bowl

gotchman

What better scenario could you ask for? Seeing Notre Dame lose and it benefitting the Huskers is the ultimate.

Who are some possible opponents if we make Gator Bowl?

ACC #3 I believe, that in itself is still up in the air.

Yep. Their two ranked teams just got blown out:

NC State 41 #22 UNC 10

Ga Tech 41 #23 Miami 23

Gator picks after BCS (2 team) Holiday (OU-TU-TT), Cotton (OSU), Alamo (MU), then Gator...... Only way we don't go to Gator is if Alamo picks us.....which is okay too !!!

Gator felt that Alamo would choose MU over NU because of the number of times NU has been there, and they pick ahead.....

If we lose to CU, then we fall back to Sun....not a horrible "back up" plan

Cool, thanks for the info...

Gator picks after BCS (2 team) Holiday (OU-TU-TT), Cotton (OSU), Alamo (MU), then Gator...... Only way we don't go to Gator is if Alamo picks us.....which is okay too !!!

Gator felt that Alamo would choose MU over NU because of the number of times NU has been there, and they pick ahead.....

AWESOME!!

I have a serious question.

Knowing the Gator bowl is willing to do anything to stay head above water, including taking a potential 7-5 ND team. And they will probably now take NU now over a number of teams that are "better", including atleast 2 other Big 12 schools.

I guess my question is, Does the New Years Day bowl really mean much knowing that it wasnt something that was 'earned' by high standings, but instead 'given' because of name?

I would just like to know your opinions. To me, its not impressive at all. I think Bo did a nice job, but imo didnt really earn a new years day bowl the ol' fashion way. Does that make sense to you guys... I guess I normally think about it as an honor for teams that win their conference or finish 2nd. Maybe its just me.

But I do know one thing. The Big 12 runs things pretty wierd. Poor tv contracts and as far as I know they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

Win win (win)

I would have worried the opposite . . . Alamo snags us over Mizzou BECAUSE we've been there so many times (and packed out the Alamo Dome . . . and won).

God forbid . . . I suppose the Sun would probably take ND and drop us back to *gasp* the Insight Bowl?

Except that it's wrong. Gator picks before Alamo.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...;ATCLID=1522896

I bet I've posted this link 3 or 4 times now.

Knowing the Gator bowl is willing to do anything to stay head above water, including taking a potential 7-5 ND team. And they will probably now take NU now over a number of teams that are "better", including atleast 2 other Big 12 schools.

I guess my question is, Does the New Years Day bowl really mean much knowing that it wasnt something that was 'earned' by high standings, but instead 'given' because of name?

I would just like to know your opinions. To me, its not impressive at all. I think Bo did a nice job, but imo didnt really earn a new years day bowl the ol' fashion way. Does that make sense to you guys... I guess I normally think about it as an honor for teams that win their conference or finish 2nd. Maybe its just me.

But I do know one thing. The Big 12 runs things pretty wierd. Poor tv contracts and as far as I know they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

You are incorrect sir. In my opinion, your whole post, but especially this part. The Pac-10 is the only conference who actually makes the bowls choose in order of conference finish as you describe.

Except that it's wrong. Gator picks before Alamo.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...;ATCLID=1522896

I bet I've posted this link 3 or 4 times now.

Oh, guess it goes back to my original question then...

Bowl order goes:

BCS

Cotton

Holiday

Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)

Alamo

Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)

Insight

Independence

Texas

There is either a Gator or Sun, but not both for the Big 12

So NU will jump somebody. Most likely either MU or OK ST.

they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

Try again:

Bowls are not obligated to choose their teams in exact order of conference standings. For instance, "ACC No. 3" means "third choice of ACC teams" -- not "the ACC's third-place team."

Lol, what are you talking about? The Gator will not pick us over any team it sees in the Big 12 as better because they pick after almost every other bowl that would pick any of the following teams: OU, UT, MU, OSU, TT. Which other team in the big 12 is better than NU? Also, who is to say that if a bid comes our way it isn't earned? Where was this post when the Gator was going to take a crappy 7-5 Irish squad? That ND team would be 3-9 with our schedule.... MAYBE!

The Gator is not a top tier bowl, no, but it will be a step up in competition and a better bowl game overall to go to (I'd much rather go to Jacksonville than El Paso)!

This smells like a Tiger fan who is disappointed with their season and wanting to rain on anything positive that happens to HuskerNation. BOOOOOO! Don't hate just because your MNC dreams got snuffed by OSU and UT!

Finally, my overall feeling on the Gator is one of reserved optimism. No, it's not the Fiesta or the Orange (or even the Holiday) that we were used to going to every year in the 90's, but considering where we have been in the last few years it is certainly a step in the right direction!

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have been wrong on the order, but of swore the Omaha paper lsited that the Gator had to wait to see who the Alamo was going to select...but must be wrong....this was why I thought that Mizz. had not been mentioned for Gator...but the order is great....IF we beat CU and Gator picks MU, then I love the Alamo !!!!!

Not many better places to spend the Holidays, plus we will beat any big 10 team they throw at us.

Thanks for crapping in the punch bowl. The fact that Missouri is getting screwed makes it all the better, as far as I'm concerned. Yay us! Ha-ha on you!