Gator Bowl

gotchman

I have a serious question.

Knowing the Gator bowl is willing to do anything to stay head above water, including taking a potential 7-5 ND team. And they will probably now take NU now over a number of teams that are "better", including atleast 2 other Big 12 schools.

I guess my question is, Does the New Years Day bowl really mean much knowing that it wasnt something that was 'earned' by high standings, but instead 'given' because of name?

I would just like to know your opinions. To me, its not impressive at all. I think Bo did a nice job, but imo didnt really earn a new years day bowl the ol' fashion way. Does that make sense to you guys... I guess I normally think about it as an honor for teams that win their conference or finish 2nd. Maybe its just me.

But I do know one thing. The Big 12 runs things pretty wierd. Poor tv contracts and as far as I know they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

Lol, what are you talking about? The Gator will not pick us over any team it sees in the Big 12 as better because they pick after almost every other bowl that would pick any of the following teams: OU, UT, MU, OSU, TT. Which other team in the big 12 is better than NU? Also, who is to say that if a bid comes our way it isn't earned? Where was this post when the Gator was going to take a crappy 7-5 Irish squad? That ND team would be 3-9 with our schedule.... MAYBE!

The Gator is not a top tier bowl, no, but it will be a step up in competition and a better bowl game overall to go to (I'd much rather go to Jacksonville than El Paso)!

This smells like a Tiger fan who is disappointed with their season and wanting to rain on anything positive that happens to HuskerNation. BOOOOOO! Don't hate just because your MNC dreams got snuffed by OSU and UT!

Finally, my overall feeling on the Gator is one of reserved optimism. No, it's not the Fiesta or the Orange (or even the Holiday) that we were used to going to every year in the 90's, but considering where we have been in the last few years it is certainly a step in the right direction!

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he is PO'ed and crappin' here because this scenario puts MU in the Alamo and NU in the Gator. The assumption then is Gator > Alamo and MU gets screwed over. Besides that fact that no ones cares, these bowls are actually roughly comparable (2.25 vs 2.5 million) and Nebraska would be happy with either.

I must have been wrong on the order, but of swore the Omaha paper lsited that the Gator had to wait to see who the Alamo was going to select...but must be wrong....this was why I thought that Mizz. had not been mentioned for Gator...but the order is great....IF we beat CU and Gator picks MU, then I love the Alamo !!!!!

Not many better places to spend the Holidays, plus we will beat any big 10 team they throw at us.

AWESOME...

I am pulling for the Alamo.

I will go to San Antone Cant go to Jacksonville.

Knowing the Gator bowl is willing to do anything to stay head above water, including taking a potential 7-5 ND team. And they will probably now take NU now over a number of teams that are "better", including atleast 2 other Big 12 schools.

I guess my question is, Does the New Years Day bowl really mean much knowing that it wasnt something that was 'earned' by high standings, but instead 'given' because of name?

I would just like to know your opinions. To me, its not impressive at all. I think Bo did a nice job, but imo didnt really earn a new years day bowl the ol' fashion way. Does that make sense to you guys... I guess I normally think about it as an honor for teams that win their conference or finish 2nd. Maybe its just me.

But I do know one thing. The Big 12 runs things pretty wierd. Poor tv contracts and as far as I know they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

Lol, what are you talking about? The Gator will not pick us over any team it sees in the Big 12 as better because they pick after almost every other bowl that would pick any of the following teams: OU, UT, MU, OSU, TT. Which other team in the big 12 is better than NU? Also, who is to say that if a bid comes our way it isn't earned? Where was this post when the Gator was going to take a crappy 7-5 Irish squad? That ND team would be 3-9 with our schedule.... MAYBE!

The Gator is not a top tier bowl, no, but it will be a step up in competition and a better bowl game overall to go to (I'd much rather go to Jacksonville than El Paso)!

This smells like a Tiger fan who is disappointed with their season and wanting to rain on anything positive that happens to HuskerNation. BOOOOOO! Don't hate just because your MNC dreams got snuffed by OSU and UT!

Finally, my overall feeling on the Gator is one of reserved optimism. No, it's not the Fiesta or the Orange (or even the Holiday) that we were used to going to every year in the 90's, but considering where we have been in the last few years it is certainly a step in the right direction!

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sour grapes. Just a question. I have heard abunch of cheers about a possible news years day bowl. JUST curious. AND just so you know the GATOR, if they pick. will get third pick after the BSC so, if NU is picked, WILL be picked ahead of one of the 5 teams that will finish ahead of them in the big 12

BTW, count me a dissapointed!!! MY tigers sucked this year. DAMNIT!!! ONLY 10-2 and Division champs again. WHAT A FREAKIN WASTE of a season. :sarcasm

I must have been wrong on the order, but of swore the Omaha paper lsited that the Gator had to wait to see who the Alamo was going to select...but must be wrong....this was why I thought that Mizz. had not been mentioned for Gator...but the order is great....IF we beat CU and Gator picks MU, then I love the Alamo !!!!!

Not many better places to spend the Holidays, plus we will beat any big 10 team they throw at us.

AWESOME...

I am pulling for the Alamo.

I will go to San Antone Cant go to Jacksonville.

Yeah, you won't find any Husker fan that I know of upset between the chance of either. I have family in both cities, so I'll be N no matter where we go!

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sour grapes. Just a question. I have heard abunch of cheers about a possible news years day bowl. JUST curious. AND just so you know the GATOR, if they pick. will get third pick after the BSC so, if NU is picked, WILL be picked ahead of one of the 5 teams that will finish ahead of them in the big 12

BTW, count me a dissapointed!!! MY tigers sucked this year. DAMNIT!!! ONLY 10-2 and Division champs again. WHAT A FREAKIN WASTE of a season. :sarcasm

by the way, was there news about the gator being interested in the tigers? because we only say the huskers are going to the gator bowl is because they have expressed interest in them.

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only team we will get picked over would be OK St. Considering if they lose to OU next week they will be 9 - 3 and we didn't play them this year so we don't know if they are really better than us. Missouri will end up in the Holiday Bowl which is a great bowl. Any Husker fan will be exstatic if we end up in the Alamo Bowl instead of the Gator. And I think any Okie State fan would be the same way.

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, was there news about the gator being interested in the tigers? because we only say the huskers are going to the gator bowl is because they have expressed interest in them.

They have been talking to MU, but most people know that the Gator is in BIG financial trouble and have been asking Jacksonville for $$ for the past year. The word going around is if they have tickets and ratings like last year this is the final year for the bowl. Because of that they have wanted a BIG name. I have no issue if MU goes to the gator or NU or OK St or who ever. Really there is little difference outside of the BCS bowls. My question ways about the New Year day thing. I guess I worded it all wrong....

Sorry if I was not clear guys. I wasnt trying a jab, and really between the Gator, Holiday or Alamo I would be happy either way. Keeping my fingers crossed for fiesta though ;)

Just curious IF a new years bowl this year would mean as much as a "traditional" new years/or after game?