Gator Bowl

gotchman

Sorry if I was not clear guys. I wasnt trying a jab, and really between the Gator, Holiday or Alamo I would be happy either way. Keeping my fingers crossed for fiesta though ;)

Just curious IF a new years bowl this year would mean as much as a "traditional" new years/or after game?

Monumental ... to be seen in the same light with the teams in those bowls after the spiral we had would be a huge momentum boost going into next season.

Sorry if I was not clear guys. I wasnt trying a jab, and really between the Gator, Holiday or Alamo I would be happy either way. Keeping my fingers crossed for fiesta though ;)

Just curious IF a new years bowl this year would mean as much as a "traditional" new years/or after game?

I think you just got unlucky by dropping a post on a thread that has current members online comparable to that of the regular gameday thread...

Sorry, I haven't read all the comments, but if we lose to CU, (obviously we really need to show up big) is the Gator Bowl still looking at us?

I would still think so liltred. Maybe not, but the GATOR needs to have a great return this year or this will probably be the last one. And I believe they are cashing that ticket on ND or NE, and ND just took themselves out of the running

I have a serious question.

Knowing the Gator bowl is willing to do anything to stay head above water, including taking a potential 7-5 ND team. And they will probably now take NU now over a number of teams that are "better", including atleast 2 other Big 12 schools.

I guess my question is, Does the New Years Day bowl really mean much knowing that it wasnt something that was 'earned' by high standings, but instead 'given' because of name?

I would just like to know your opinions. To me, its not impressive at all. I think Bo did a nice job, but imo didnt really earn a new years day bowl the ol' fashion way. Does that make sense to you guys... I guess I normally think about it as an honor for teams that win their conference or finish 2nd. Maybe its just me.

But I do know one thing. The Big 12 runs things pretty wierd. Poor tv contracts and as far as I know they are the ONLY major conference that does not set their bowl-tie-ins. meaning any bowl, except the fiesta, can choose ANY Big 12 bowl elegible team when its their turn to pick, regardless of finish or record.

Lol, what are you talking about? The Gator will not pick us over any team it sees in the Big 12 as better because they pick after almost every other bowl that would pick any of the following teams: OU, UT, MU, OSU, TT. Which other team in the big 12 is better than NU? Also, who is to say that if a bid comes our way it isn't earned? Where was this post when the Gator was going to take a crappy 7-5 Irish squad? That ND team would be 3-9 with our schedule.... MAYBE!

The Gator is not a top tier bowl, no, but it will be a step up in competition and a better bowl game overall to go to (I'd much rather go to Jacksonville than El Paso)!

This smells like a Tiger fan who is disappointed with their season and wanting to rain on anything positive that happens to HuskerNation. BOOOOOO! Don't hate just because your MNC dreams got snuffed by OSU and UT!

Finally, my overall feeling on the Gator is one of reserved optimism. No, it's not the Fiesta or the Orange (or even the Holiday) that we were used to going to every year in the 90's, but considering where we have been in the last few years it is certainly a step in the right direction!

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sour grapes. Just a question. I have heard abunch of cheers about a possible news years day bowl. JUST curious. AND just so you know the GATOR, if they pick. will get third pick after the BSC so, if NU is picked, WILL be picked ahead of one of the 5 teams that will finish ahead of them in the big 12

BTW, count me a dissapointed!!! MY tigers sucked this year. DAMNIT!!! ONLY 10-2 and Division champs again. WHAT A FREAKIN WASTE of a season. :sarcasm

by the way, was there news about the gator being interested in the tigers? because we only say the huskers are going to the gator bowl is because they have expressed interest in them.

They have been talking to MU, but most people know that the Gator is in BIG financial trouble and have been asking Jacksonville for $$ for the past year. The word going around is if they have tickets and ratings like last year this is the final year for the bowl. Because of that they have wanted a BIG name. I have no issue if MU goes to the gator or NU or OK St or who ever. Really there is little difference outside of the BCS bowls. My question ways about the New Year day thing. I guess I worded it all wrong....

that makes sense...but this is the awful political thing with bowls though. a team that's just as worthy, if not more so, can't go to a great bowl because they weren't good years ago.

Now, if only USC can beat Notre Dame. That in itself is a tall task.....

:sarcasm

USC will simply kill Notre Dame next weekend for a couple of reasons. (1) USC is outstanding, and (2) USC wants to impress the BCS boys so they can get into a top tier BCS Bowl. We certainly don't want to play a Big Ten school in the Rose Bowl (we already beat the crap out of their best, OSU). If the Gator Bowl takes Notre Dame after USC beats them badly, the Gator Bowl ought to get out of the bowl business altogether.

I'm pulling for you, Huskers.......

I am not crapping in anyones punch!! For crying out loud I was just asking a question. Man you guys are freakin sensitive today.

Intentional overreaction on my part. I'm not going to apologize for it, but I'm not going to repeat it.

For the last week or so you've done a lot of whiningcomplaining about how unfair of a deal MU is getting, saying how they will bring as many fans, etc. Like it is our fault that the Gator might pick us over Missouri. It all has gotten very tiring, you have made your point numerous times on other threads.

And if the intent of your post wasn't to point out the unfairness of Missouri potentially not getting picked over Nebraska, it came off as trying to belittle Nebraska's season. It sounds very much like "How do you feel about going to a bowl you don't deserve?" It reminds me of Michigan fans in 1997 asking how we felt about getting a #1 vote only as a retirement gift to Osborne. Apparently that's not what you meant. But it absolutely sounded that way.

Moving on.

How does it feel? It feels great. This looked like a rebuilding year under Bo, and we've won all of the games we should have. It would've been nice to play better against OU and MU, and pull out a win over VT or TT, but at least we didn't tank an easier game.

Is it a traditional New Year's Day bowl? Of course not. But it's still better than most of us guessed coming into this season. I'd rather enjoy it than overthink whether we deserve it.

Besides, nobody thought the top of the Big 12 was going to be this powerful, so really, with how well we've played (not relative to the rest of the Big 12), this is about what we deserve, I feel. Bottom line, yes, I feel fine if we get the Gator Bowl.

And I'll be a bit disappointed if we don't get a better bowl in the next year or two.

And if the bids come out and Missouri gets the Gator and we go to the Alamo, I'm happy with that too.

I am not crapping in anyones punch!! For crying out loud I was just asking a question. Man you guys are freakin sensitive today.

Like it is our fault that the Gator might pick us over Missouri.

It's also not our fault that every bowl committee knows that Nebraska travels better than just about any other program.