How are we on recruiting?

**UPDATE: Just checked today, we now have 18 recruits and are moved up to #31**

Original Post

Now I know we (Bo) doesn't evaluate teams based on "stars" or rating services, but as fans that is really all we have to go on. With the season winding down, and looking toward the continual re-building of Nebraska, I wanted to see how we are doing for recruiting:

16 Total Recruits, Average stars 3.00. Ranked 42nd Overall recruiting class.

We do have a few more people coming to our CU game that could commit, and that may move us into the high 30's. That still puts us behind these schools that I think we should be beating:

Texas A&M (19)

Virginia Tech (23)

Maryland (26)

Rutgers (27)

Missouri (28)

Virginia (29)

and even Duke (40) :bs:

Now I have full confidence that bo will do the right things and what not, and it is still really early, but man, I hope he pulls as awesome recruiting class in the end. thoughts?

Oh hell, if Duke starts recruiting well they could beat a team ranked 19th or higher sooner than we do. That would mean every Division 1 team in America has beaten a better team than NU has been able to, in the last 7 years. That is, if you use rankings as a barometer.

As for recruiting, haven't we beaten the *** system to death on here yet?

Now I know we (Bo) doesn't evaluate teams based on "stars" or rating services, but as fans that is really all we have to go on. With the season winding down, and looking toward the continual re-building of Nebraska, I wanted to see how we are doing for recruiting:

We do have a few more people coming to our CU game that could commit, and that may move us into the high 30's. That still puts us behind these schools that I think we should be beating:

Texas A&M (19)

Virginia Tech (23)

Maryland (26)

Rutgers (27)

Missouri (28)

Virginia (29)

Now I have full confidence that bo will do the right things and what not, and it is still really early, but man, I hope he pulls as awesome recruiting class in the end. thoughts?

Sort of a moot point on the duke recruiting. if i were given a chance between UNL and Duke I would take duke in a heart beat. No comparison for the undergraduate education between the two. Same can be said for stanford / the ivies.

Texas A&M (19)

Virginia Tech (23)

Maryland (26)

Rutgers (27)

Missouri (28)

Virginia (29)

Sort of a moot point on the duke recruiting. if i were given a chance between UNL and Duke I would take duke in a heart beat. No comparison for the undergraduate education between the two. Same can be said for stanford / the ivies.

You obviously haven't been a nebraska fan for long, have you? I would have given my right nut to have had a scholarship offer to play football for Nebraska. And if it came down to Duke or UNL I would pick UNL every time.

Honestly recruiting is so overrated now a days. Joe ganz was a 2 star walk on, and look what he has done. Harrison beck was a 4 star stud and look what he has done. Stars who have underachieved at Nebraska or left (recently)

Leon Washington

Chris Brooks

Rodney Picou

David Horne

Courtney Grixby

Justin Tomerlin

ANDRE JONES WAS A 5 STAR....

Marlon Lucky, good, but Roy helu is proven to be more productive. A better back and he is a 3 star.

Brandon Jackson, was a 3 star and he was pretty darn good. Zac Taylor, big 12 offensive MVP. Jay Moore, Cariker

Recruiting is hype is overrated. It all matters on a players desire and work ethic in college. Getting used to the game, and understanding how to play it based on ones skill set.

GO BIG RED

look, no matter how you "spin it".......yes, Bo will have to recruit better talent, no question about it, we are light years behind UT , TT and the Sooners and it doesn't look like we will make significant progress against the talent gap this year....a better record, more success and the class of 2010 should be improved. there will be some key guys brought in in 2009, but by and large, we aren't going to make it to a top 20 recruiting class, which is where we need to be consistently, year after year, to put a quality product on the field, year after year.

Honestly recruiting is so overrated now a days. Joe ganz was a 2 star walk on,

I stopped reading there.

Is this how some people remember the great teams of the 90's as having almost all walk-ons? Somehow when relatively little known guy gets really good he becomes a walk-on.

look, no matter how you "spin it".......yes, Bo will have to recruit better talent, no question about it, we are light years behind UT , TT and the Sooners and it doesn't look like we will make significant progress against the talent gap this year....a better record, more success and the class of 2010 should be improved. there will be some key guys brought in in 2009, but by and large, we aren't going to make it to a top 20 recruiting class, which is where we need to be consistently, year after year, to put a quality product on the field, year after year.

Well put, this was the point I was trying to make without getting castrated on this board.

Well put, this was the point I was trying to make without getting castrated on this board.

If only there was a forum for discussing recruiting...

I don't give a lot of credence to stars...but you figure you do have to have some players that will naturally have them. We have had walk ons in the past that never had stars, but went on to play in the NFL...and we have had highly touted players that were nothing but a bust.

So don't get wrapped up in other peoples grading of players. Sometimes the best players are just never found.