How are we on recruiting?

Now I know we (Bo) doesn't evaluate teams based on "stars" or rating services, but as fans that is really all we have to go on. With the season winding down, and looking toward the continual re-building of Nebraska, I wanted to see how we are doing for recruiting:

16 Total Recruits, Average stars 3.00. Ranked 42nd Overall recruiting class.

We do have a few more people coming to our CU game that could commit, and that may move us into the high 30's. That still puts us behind these schools that I think we should be beating:

Texas A&M (19)

Virginia Tech (23)

Maryland (26)

Rutgers (27)

Missouri (28)

Virginia (29)

and even Duke (40) :bs:

Now I have full confidence that bo will do the right things and what not, and it is still really early, but man, I hope he pulls as awesome recruiting class in the end. thoughts?

Don't worry about rankings 'til the recruiting period is over. Some of these schools have a few more recruits than us, bumping them up in the rankings (like aTm who has 26 compared to our 16).

I don't give a lot of credence to stars...but you figure you do have to have some players that will naturally have them. We have had walk ons in the past that never had stars, but went on to play in the NFL...and we have had highly touted players that were nothing but a bust.

So don't get wrapped up in other peoples grading of players. Sometimes the best players are just never found.

I agree, but as fans, we really only have the stars to go on. And those stars mean something believe it or not. The reason most of our big stars have been busts recently is because BC was HORRIBLE at developing talent. In my opinion this was his weakest trait. He was used to the NFL where everyone comes trained, and you just teach them a system. Bo seems to be good at developing talent, so I think a good recruiting class will actually go farther with him than it did with BC.

Look at USC, they alwasy have a GREAT recruiting class, and always have GREAT teams. its a combination of coaching and talent...we need more talent, LOTS more. And usc has the same number of players as us, but is #1 by a longshot.

Look at USC, they alwasy have a GREAT recruiting class, and always have GREAT teams. its a combination of coaching and talent...we need more talent, LOTS more. And usc has the same number of players as us, but is #1 by a longshot.

Bah, those losers only have 1 1/2 national titles in the last 30 years, who cares what they do? :sarcasm

The 30 rankings are fine to me; it brings some talent to build on. ( With our coaches, they'll be great! ) Recruiting is overrated. Sure, look at what USC gets and look at them; they're great. But look at Clemson and Tennessee. They get tons of talent, but don't produce like a top 10 or even top 25 team.

As long as Bo is getting the Huskers to at least a 8-9 win team without a lot of embarrassing events for the next few years, we'll get loads of talent. :box

I love it that for the most part, and check the responses on this topic on HB in the past to see, there are two extremes when it comes to recruiting. You are either "the stars mean everything" or "the stars mean nothing, it is all coaching!" I would tend to think if you meld the two opinions together you get closer to the truth. I think the ratings do give some measure by which to evaluate the classes, after all athletic talent is often a result of how fast, big, and strong you are. However I also believe the mental make up plays a large part and don't forget that these are only 17/18 year olds so just having the tools doesn't mean you are ready to play. That is where the coaching comes in. Look at the NU team this year, a good chance to be 9-4, almost all of the starters are from the BC era, contributed heavily last year, and went 5-7. What if Bo had taken over instead of BC and had the same classes that were brought in? Would we be having a different conversation if Bo's team had a chance to develop these young men? My guess is yes. As an illustration of all of this, I found this article that was posted on Bleacherreport a couple of months ago. I think it does a good job of illustrating the dilema.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/64670-d...ollege-football

Now I know we (Bo) doesn't evaluate teams based on "stars" or rating services, but as fans that is really all we have to go on. With the season winding down, and looking toward the continual re-building of Nebraska, I wanted to see how we are doing for recruiting:

Now I have full confidence that bo will do the right things and what not, and it is still really early, but man, I hope he pulls as awesome recruiting class in the end. thoughts?

I took the middle of your quote out, to just save space.

Your original post has yet to be answered ... and that is sad. I thought you asked a good question. At the root, you were asking "I wanted to see how we are doing for recruiting?" You seemed to be saying, "I hope he (Bo) pulls in an awesome recruiting class in the end. Any thoughts?"

I like those questions ... you even tried to state that you know people get focused on stars, as that's all folks like "us" have to go on.

The board has now gone on to 20-30 posts debating an issue that you were not asking. Thus, maybe this post might redirect this waste of space to the issue ...

Does anybody have any thoughts on how recruiting has gone thus far? Where are our strengths in this class? Where are we weak? Who are some guys we have missed out on? Is there anybody on the horizon that we might land to fill a need? What gems have we landed? What is the surprize sleeper?

I'd love to have those that really know something to speak up ... and those that don't know squat to shut their mouths. We all understand stars and the system in place ... please stop telling me something I already know debating me on an issue that I'm not asking. :clap

SheepdogMark

Honestly recruiting is so overrated now a days. Joe ganz was a 2 star walk on, and look what he has done. Harrison beck was a 4 star stud and look what he has done. Stars who have underachieved at Nebraska or left (recently)

Leon Washington

Chris Brooks

Rodney Picou

David Horne

Courtney Grixby

Justin Tomerlin

ANDRE JONES WAS A 5 STAR....

Marlon Lucky, good, but Roy helu is proven to be more productive. A better back and he is a 3 star.

Brandon Jackson, was a 3 star and he was pretty darn good. Zac Taylor, big 12 offensive MVP. Jay Moore, Cariker

Recruiting is hype is overrated. It all matters on a players desire and work ethic in college. Getting used to the game, and understanding how to play it based on ones skill set.

GO BIG RED

not to start this all again but, Grixby was a great corner and without him NU's d would have been a lot worse

Honestly recruiting is so overrated now a days. Joe ganz was a 2 star walk on, and look what he has done. Harrison beck was a 4 star stud and look what he has done. Stars who have underachieved at Nebraska or left (recently)

Leon Washington

Chris Brooks

Rodney Picou

David Horne

Courtney Grixby

Justin Tomerlin

ANDRE JONES WAS A 5 STAR....

Marlon Lucky, good, but Roy helu is proven to be more productive. A better back and he is a 3 star.

Brandon Jackson, was a 3 star and he was pretty darn good. Zac Taylor, big 12 offensive MVP. Jay Moore, Cariker

Recruiting is hype is overrated. It all matters on a players desire and work ethic in college. Getting used to the game, and understanding how to play it based on ones skill set.

GO BIG RED

not to start this all again but, Grixby was a great corner and without him NU's d would have been a lot worse

Very true plus Chris Brooks has a year left, who knows what could happen by next fall

But glad to have commit #1 for next year!!

Sort of a moot point on the duke recruiting. if i were given a chance between UNL and Duke I would take duke in a heart beat. No comparison for the undergraduate education between the two. Same can be said for stanford / the ivies.

You're kidding right?! If I was a football player, NU of course. Basketball player, Duke of course.

Sort of a moot point on the duke recruiting. if i were given a chance between UNL and Duke I would take duke in a heart beat. No comparison for the undergraduate education between the two. Same can be said for stanford / the ivies.

You're kidding right?! If I was a football player, NU of course. Basketball player, Duke of course.

I agree with JonahLomu. What elite football player is going to choose Duke over Nebraska?

I agree with JonahLomu. What elite football player is going to choose Duke over Nebraska?

If academics are a strong priority, then I could see it. What about that DT from Maryland that just commited to Stanford over NU?