Dirty/Illegal hits?

BigBL87

I didn't get to watch the game (had to work, almost called in sick for the game!), but on another board someone mentioned that the safety that made the sack on Ganz to set up the huge FG (which was an illegal hit) had another cheap shot on Niles Paul, and one on Helu earlier in the game where he speared Helu. Anyone have the video of those two other hits or know where I could find them?

On another note...

Not having watched the game, how was the officiating overall?

I didn't get to watch the game (had to work, almost called in sick for the game!), but on another board someone mentioned that the safety that made the sack on Ganz to set up the huge FG (which was an illegal hit) had another cheap shot on Niles Paul, and one on Helu earlier in the game where he speared Helu. Anyone have the video of those two other hits or know where I could find them?

On another note...

Looked on Youtube and couldn't find either. Don't recalled Helu getting speared. The Paul hit was flagrent, but the half ended so the officials did their I-look-at-you-you-look-at-me-let's-not-bother-with-the-call routine and let the first half end. Pathetic.

Ganz MAY have been horse-collared, but not sure, so a no-call there did not bother me as much.

Overall, the officiating was a poor as it has been all season.

On another note...

Looked on Youtube and couldn't find either. Don't recalled Helu getting speared. The Paul hit was flagrent, but the half ended so the officials did their I-look-at-you-you-look-at-me-let's-not-bother-with-the-call routine and let the first half end. Pathetic.

Ganz MAY have been horse-collared, but not sure, so a no-call there did not bother me as much.

Overall, the officiating was a poor as it has been all season.

The tackle on Ganz wasn't a horse-collar, but it was a clear forearm to the face. You aren't allowed to go for the QB's head at all as far as I know, and he didn't even try to form tackle and went straight for the head. In the end, it ended up making for an epic kick though, haha.

Yeah the guy grabbed Ganz and threw him down by his neck.

Really, I almost wonder if it was one of those calls that didn't get made because we were At Home. They may have no-called just to avoid the "home field bias" sticker. Who knows.

As a sports official myself, let me absolutely guarantee that what you described just never happens. Ever. Sometimes we just miss calls. It happens. But things out there happen so fast, you absolutely never, and I mean never, go for your flag our your whistle and then think, "Hhm. Do I want to look like a homer? Nah. I'll jeopordize my standing amongst league officials and my postseason prospects and just let this one go so 85,000 people won't boo for 10 seconds."

Really, I almost wonder if it was one of those calls that didn't get made because we were At Home. They may have no-called just to avoid the "home field bias" sticker. Who knows.

As a sports official myself, let me absolutely guarantee that what you described just never happens. Ever. Sometimes we just miss calls. It happens. But things out there happen so fast, you absolutely never, and I mean never, go for your flag our your whistle and then think, "Hhm. Do I want to look like a homer? Nah. I'll jeopordize my standing amongst league officials and my postseason prospects and just let this one go so 85,000 people won't boo for 10 seconds."

Having never been an official myself, I can't argue. Just trying to figure out why it wasn't called. No matter how fast things are going, I can't imagine missing that call.

Having never been an official myself, I can't argue. Just trying to figure out why it wasn't called. No matter how fast things are going, I can't imagine missing that call.

Which call - the hit on Ganz or the cheap shot on Paul? The call on Ganz was questionable - I think they could've called it, but it wasn't obvious. The call on Paul I agree - I don't know how you miss that. The speed of the game shouldn't matter on missing a call or not (it does make a lot of calls VERY difficult at the highest levels of the sport), but my point there was that you don't have time to conciously blow a call by thinking that much about whether or not to call it.

Perhaps, but there just seems to be a pattern of no calls on NU opponents. A trend that goes back years I might add.

Which call - the hit on Ganz or the cheap shot on Paul? The call on Ganz was questionable - I think they could've called it, but it wasn't obvious. The call on Paul I agree - I don't know how you miss that. The speed of the game shouldn't matter on missing a call or not (it does make a lot of calls VERY difficult at the highest levels of the sport), but my point there was that you don't have time to conciously blow a call by thinking that much about whether or not to call it.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the hit on Paul. The hit on Ganz looked clean enough, and the horse collar rules seem to be pretty vague.