Dirty/Illegal hits?

BigBL87

huskerprid:

I think you are correct. I was wrong on this one. It is banned in nfl and ncaa....announced on August 20, 2008 that ncaa banned it. Thanks for the clarification.

Someone should let the officials know. I watched a lot of football this weekend, saw plenty of horse collar tackles, and nary a flag.

What Ganz had was not a horse collar. A horse collar involves tackling a ball carrier from behind with a hand in the shoulderpads behind the neck. Ganz got tackled by his head, and as we all know, any head contact is off limits on a QB.

I think I heard or read somewhere that if you got the neck of the shirt (hand inside the shirt) it was considered a horse collar also...

If I recall, the guy more or less had Ganz by the NECK, not his shirt.

huskerprid:

I think you are correct. I was wrong on this one. It is banned in nfl and ncaa....announced on August 20, 2008 that ncaa banned it. Thanks for the clarification.

Someone should let the officials know. I watched a lot of football this weekend, saw plenty of horse collar tackles, and nary a flag.

What Ganz had was not a horse collar. A horse collar involves tackling a ball carrier from behind with a hand in the shoulderpads behind the neck. Ganz got tackled by his head, and as we all know, any head contact is off limits on a QB.

I think I heard or read somewhere that if you got the neck of the shirt (hand inside the shirt) it was considered a horse collar also...

If I recall, the guy more or less had Ganz by the NECK, not his shirt.

:sarcasm Aren't choke holds illegal...along with eye gouging and hair pulling?? Would still pay someone to put a sleeper hold on Booger...

I was at the game and as much as I hate saying it the Ganz no call was the appropriate call. HE didn't lead head to head or grab Joe's face mask, just the way Joe twisted to try to avoid the hit made the whole tackle appear a lot worse than it was. If the roles were reversed and it was say Suh sacking Hawkins and the same thing happened and the refs did throw a flag all would be screaming holy hell about it. Just like the Potter hit on Freeman. So I am OK with that no call.

The Paul shot was a bad miss. This was my fifth home game attended and I believe I can count the number of holds called on one hand. Holding goes on every play and more often than not pretty obvious. Not saying that we haven't been guilty cause we have but I think the officiating at home has sucked. And in general it has sucked in the BIG XII period.

They did let the players play for the most part this year, but they missed too many obvious calls.

The hit on Paul at the end of the first half was blaten and by definition a penalty. Now for the hit on Ganz. It is a penalty to hit a QB anywhere in the head, facemask included. I played Defense and really don't mind a good solid shot even if it is a little questionable. But these rules are set up for saftey. That I agree with. The first one should have been a rejection for the game. IMO The Ganz hit.... should have been unessecary roughness at the least.

So, to answer the other question about the refs over all??? Down right disgracefull like they have been all year.

We've had quite a bit of calls ignored this year that I have noticed. It seems that some of the officiating squads turn a blind eye against us and don't call them. It's quite irritating watching it on TV and seeing the missed call but it could be worse, we could be OU playing OU(Oregon) and they miss and obvious call not once but 3 times.

I've yelled plenty of times at the tv but it does nothing so i've learned to accept it hoping the people in charge of them fix so it doesn't happen again.

Well, I just witnessed a Steeler db hit Wes Welker exactly like the guy hit Paul and the Steeler guy drew the 15 yarder. Ball had passed by and wasn't even really in the area.

That was a nasty hit. Ball was tipped, far from the area, Steeler DB launched himself at Welker (defenseless) anyway. Welker never went back in. Lucky for us Paul wasn't hurt bad (was he?)

Well, I just witnessed a Steeler db hit Wes Welker exactly like the guy hit Paul and the Steeler guy drew the 15 yarder. Ball had passed by and wasn't even really in the area.

That was a nasty hit. Ball was tipped, far from the area, Steeler DB launched himself at Welker (defenseless) anyway. Welker never went back in. Lucky for us Paul wasn't hurt bad (was he?)

4 realz.

I think Paul had his bell rung for a bit, but is ok as far as I know.

Wow, I'm impressed. Everyone seems to be pissed about no calls on two different occasions. No one is even talking about the biggest screw up of the game. The fake field goal that CU took in for 6 should have been spotted down where the placeholders knee was because the kicker took off too soon and was out of the kicker's box therefore making him a receiver. The placeholder was then considered the QB, but he had his knee on the ground which means he should have been down and CU take over on downs where his knee was down.