WR recuiting under Cally-UGH

TMul

Did Cally/Gilmore know how to evaluate WR prospects?? I say no. He had a legitimate chance at Maclin and offered him a grey shirt/same HS as McNeil.

Then in the 2007 class NU had a legitimate chance with Dez Bryant and Desmond Briscoe. We turned them both down. Briscoe was at the same HS as Anthony Blue at Cedar Hill. These 3 WRs are arguably 3 of the top 4 WRs in this league along with Crabtree. What was the guy thinking and Gilmore?? I see no current WR on NU's team that comes close athletically speaking to these 3.

Just some things to think about during a slow time of the year.

i've been more than pleased with the wr's this year, and looking back on the cally yrs, they were also always one of the brighter parts of the seasons imo.

in retrospect it's a shame we didn't recruit the previously mentioned wr's harder, but cally/staff recruited what they thought would work best for the team/their system..... recruiting is just hit and miss sometimes(all the time).

Why are you complaining? How about these guys?

Todd Peterson. Nate Swift. Meno Holt. Niles Paul. Terrence Nunn. Mo Purify.

Nate Swift is my all-time favorite Husker, so I'm going to choose my words very carefully.

Our offense, besides Roy Helu, has absolutely no playmakers that can stretch the field. Our WR's don't really scare anybody. They are great possesion guys, but they do not deserve to be in the same breath as a Dez Bryant, Mike Crabtree, Jeramy Maclin, or Desmond Briscoe. I am worried about how we are recruiting WR's. I'd like to see us recruit more dangerous WR's who can stretch the field at any given time, and stop recruiting big bodied, possesion WR's.

Nate Swift is my all-time favorite Husker, so I'm going to choose my words very carefully.

Our offense, besides Roy Helu, has absolutely no playmakers that can stretch the field. Our WR's don't really scare anybody. They are great possesion guys, but they do not deserve to be in the same breath as a Dez Bryant, Mike Crabtree, Jeramy Maclin, or Desmond Briscoe. I am worried about how we are recruiting WR's. I'd like to see us recruit more dangerous WR's who can stretch the field at any given time, and stop recruiting big bodied, possesion WR's.

I think that our staff would love to get a true deep-threat, but these type of guys, for whatever reason, rarely even consider Nebraska. I can't think of a WR we have had since Fryar that possessed game-breaking speed.

I think that our staff would love to get a true deep-threat, but these type of guys, for whatever reason, rarely even consider Nebraska. I can't think of a WR we have had since Fryar that possessed game-breaking speed.

Maybe Brandon Kinnie could give us that game changing speed that we need.

Maybe Brandon Kinnie could give us that game changing speed that we need.

Everything I have heard about him suggests Gillyen has the top tier speed you speak of....... i believe he has had some problems in the hands department though :dunno

Cally came in with a passing, WCO offense and recruited option based/blocking WRs.

For those getting on NU recruiting some of the KU players, I think that's a good thing. Mangino is a very, very good talent evaluator.

Hopefully some of the kids that redshirted this season have more wheels on them, because as I see it right now this team still has possesion WR's on the current squad. IF Paul and Holt are starting at NU next year, I can see Holt taking over the T. Pederson role well, but I think we downgrade a lot with Paul taking over for Swift. Paul is just too, too slow. He's just not a fluid athlete and would be a great blocking WR in NU's old option attack.

I think having our defense go up against in practice 1-2 players tops (Helu/Swift) that have the ability to make people miss is a factor in why the D is so bad. NU still needs many more play makers on both sides of the ball.

Well when the WR position coach and current recruiting coordinator can't sell ice in the desert is a little reason why. He can't recruit worth a lick. He didn't at CU either. Pelini would've been much better off bringing Drayton along with him and keeping Watson as the only staff holdover from last year. Last years class imploded anyways and Gilmore was supposedly kept to keep the remaining recruits.

BC did suck at recruiting wr's. Two of his three best guys were Solich recruits.

Gillelyn needs to get his act together so we can use his athleticism to stretch the field or bust a big screen play. They won't play you if they can't trust you hold onto the rock. Hopefully he steps-up this offseason.

I look forward to seeing Cooper in '09. Maybe he'll give us some big play ability.

I'd think Kinnie would jump to be here. This is a golden opportunity for a JUCO to come in and impact right away. I know he was trying to get his parents up here for a visit but couldn't get it done. Hopefully he isn't just waiting in hopes of a dream offer.