WR recuiting under Cally-UGH

TMul

Did Cally/Gilmore know how to evaluate WR prospects?? I say no. He had a legitimate chance at Maclin and offered him a grey shirt/same HS as McNeil.

I'm not sure the WR position merits being pulled out in particular. I think other than OL (and K?), recruiting has turned out to be somewhat disappointing under Cally at many other positions. This may have more to do with guys not measuring up to their star ratings, but I don't know that WR is the first position I think of when criticizing Cally recruiting.

OTOH a little early to judge the full body of work.

Why are you complaining? How about these guys?

Todd Peterson. Nate Swift. Meno Holt. Niles Paul. Terrence Nunn. Mo Purify.

Nate Swift is my all-time favorite Husker, so I'm going to choose my words very carefully.

Our offense, besides Roy Helu, has absolutely no playmakers that can stretch the field. Our WR's don't really scare anybody. They are great possesion guys, but they do not deserve to be in the same breath as a Dez Bryant, Mike Crabtree, Jeramy Maclin, or Desmond Briscoe. I am worried about how we are recruiting WR's. I'd like to see us recruit more dangerous WR's who can stretch the field at any given time, and stop recruiting big bodied, possesion WR's.

is it a lack of WR that can stretch the field or a QB that can throw the deep ball? its not like paul or some of the other young guys cant stretch the field

Nate Swift is my all-time favorite Husker, so I'm going to choose my words very carefully.

Our offense, besides Roy Helu, has absolutely no playmakers that can stretch the field. Our WR's don't really scare anybody. They are great possesion guys, but they do not deserve to be in the same breath as a Dez Bryant, Mike Crabtree, Jeramy Maclin, or Desmond Briscoe. I am worried about how we are recruiting WR's. I'd like to see us recruit more dangerous WR's who can stretch the field at any given time, and stop recruiting big bodied, possesion WR's.

is it a lack of WR that can stretch the field or a QB that can throw the deep ball? its not like paul or some of the other young guys cant stretch the field

I for one agree that paul and the others can and should strech the field. I also believe that we will be able to do that next year or the year after when we get Cody Green on the field. Look at what Pryor did for the Buckeyes. Green will do that for us next year if we let him.

I think that our staff would love to get a true deep-threat, but these type of guys, for whatever reason, rarely even consider Nebraska. I can't think of a WR we have had since Fryar that possessed game-breaking speed.

Reggial Baul had some blazing speed for a WR. The guy could flat ass out run defenders when he got the ball. Back then they were called split ends.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010629115341r...95/7513bg8.html

I know it pains me to say it because he's an Omaha boy and Ahman's nephew or cousin, but Niles is too, too slow. His running style is broken, for a lack of a better term. For instance Swift is a fluid running athlete, Lucky is, Helu is, Niles is not. What I mean by fluid is the player running smoothly. The main reason he took that kick back against San Jose was all because of the blocking. Then Dennard was still out running him. Paul weighs in at 210, maybe he should drop 10-15 lbs. may help him. But you can't really change your running style/athleticm. I think he's peeked out his potential, HS All American or not.

P. Bates, while I watched him play receiver at ISU, actually looked to potentially be the better athlete/receiver then Paul. Much smoother player and he shouldn't have transferred from ISU and stuck it out at WR-imo. In hind sight, wish MacCartney didn't pull the wool over the kids eye and Bates signed with NU instead of ISU.

Hopefully Gillian has a huge spring ball as he's greatly needed to stretch the field. N. Paul and Holt are possession receivers. That or hopefully somebody else steps up????

I know it pains me to say it because he's an Omaha boy and Ahman's nephew or cousin, but Niles is too, too slow. His running style is broken, for a lack of a better term. For instance Swift is a fluid running athlete, Lucky is, Helu is, Niles is not. What I mean by fluid is the player running smoothly. The main reason he took that kick back against San Jose was all because of the blocking. Then Dennard was still out running him. Paul weighs in at 210, maybe he should drop 10-15 lbs. may help him. But you can't really change your running style/athleticm. I think he's peeked out his potential, HS All American or not.

P. Bates, while I watched him play receiver at ISU, actually looked to potentially be the better athlete/receiver then Paul. Much smoother player and he shouldn't have transferred from ISU and stuck it out at WR-imo. In hind sight, wish MacCartney didn't pull the wool over the kids eye and Bates signed with NU instead of ISU.

Hopefully Gillian has a huge spring ball as he's greatly needed to stretch the field. N. Paul and Holt are possession receivers. That or hopefully somebody else steps up????

i think we are all forgettting about Khiry Cooper.... he is going to be something special... and we did the right thing by red shirting him... i know this was caused mainly by his baseball ability but he is flat out fast... we will get a glimps of him in action this year on the baseball diamond... and that my folks is one of the few deep threats we will have next year

i think we are all forgettting about Khiry Cooper.... he is going to be something special... and we did the right thing by red shirting him... i know this was caused mainly by his baseball ability but he is flat out fast... we will get a glimps of him in action this year on the baseball diamond... and that my folks is one of the few deep threats we will have next year

He's mentioned in posts 4 and 9 of this thread. ;)

He's mentioned in posts 4 and 9 of this thread. ;)

guess i need to work on my research... lol... he is going to be a beast

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if he plays baseball doesn't he lose a year of eligibility? I thought that if you played any sport in a year, you lost that year of eligibility, whether you were on scholarship for that sport or not.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if he plays baseball doesn't he lose a year of eligibility? I thought that if you played any sport in a year, you lost that year of eligibility, whether you were on scholarship for that sport or not.

Actually it is a great question. I didnt think of that. I took the time to read on wikipedia about redshirts. here is the link for it. i didnt see anything that said if he played another sport it would take that year away. help solve this if ya can

Actually it is a great question. I didnt think of that. I took the time to read on wikipedia about redshirts. here is the link for it. i didnt see anything that said if he played another sport it would take that year away. help solve this if ya can

That would have hurt Erstad if that were the case.

Pretty sure they are handled separately:

Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Not sure it matters. He could go pro baseball after his Junior season and will likely go after his 4th year so I think he won't be in school for 5 years even if he could.