Classes begin next week

Green is apparently officially enrolled. Has Young enrolled? Gomes is N for sure since he signed an LOI. Anyone else besides Byrd for Spring semester?

Is Byrd going to make it? Thought he hasn't qualified yet?

Grades come out Thursday apparently. If he qualifies he'll be a Spring Semester guy for this class.

Edit: umm Bell not Byrd. My bad.

Green is apparently officially enrolled. Has Young enrolled? Gomes is N for sure since he signed an LOI. Anyone else besides Byrd for Spring semester?

Is Byrd going to make it? Thought he hasn't qualified yet?

Grades come out Thursday apparently. If he qualifies he'll be a Spring Semester guy for this class.

Nevermind. I of course meant Bell.

2008 Recruit Antonio Bell passed the class he needed to get into Nebraska, and will in Lincoln in a few days.

Thanks for the update blackshirt...............that explains to me the Omigie commit to Kansas then. From all reports looks like Bo was keeping his end of the bargain to Bell and denied Omigie. For our sake, and playing against KU, hopefully the kid doesn't turn into another D. Briscoe. Cally whiffed bad on that one.

Thanks for the update blackshirt...............that explains to me the Omigie commit to Kansas then. From all reports looks like Bo was keeping his end of the bargain to Bell and denied Omigie. For our sake, and playing against KU, hopefully the kid doesn't turn into another D. Briscoe. Cally whiffed bad on that one.

Not sure they wouldn't have taken Omigie anyway, but if they knew Bell was going to pass, it explains the apparent lack of other offers after losing Omigie. Two WRs in this class works just fine for me.

Not sure they wouldn't have taken Omigie anyway, but if they knew Bell was going to pass, it explains the apparent lack of other offers after losing Omigie. Two WRs in this class works just fine for me.

me too

Green here, Bell soon, Young proves wisdom not wasted on the young:

Green preparing for classes while Young reverts back to KU

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 - 08:59:52 pm CST

As highly regarded quarterback commit Cody Green began to settle into Lincoln, the Huskers were getting mixed news elsewhere on the recruiting front on Friday — losing a defensive end to Kansas but gaining a feel-good moment from a Florida wide receiver.

First, the good news for the Huskers: Green is in town and prepared to start spring classes at the university on Monday, a pleasant thing to know for Nebraska fans who have been jilted in recent years by other heralded signal-caller recruits Josh Freeman and Blaine Gabbert.

But Green is here, less than three weeks removed from guiding his Dayton High School team in the Texas Class 4A state championship game.

And if all goes as planned, he’ll soon be joined in town by wide receiver Antonio Bell, a member of the 2008 recruiting class who wasn’t academically qualified this past fall but now seems to have the necessary marks.

A jubilant Bell said Friday afternoon that he passed the online course needed to be eligible and is just waiting to get official approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse on his transcripts. The product of Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland said he expects to be in Lincoln by the end of next week at the latest.

“By the grace of God,” Bell told the Journal Star. “I’m very excited. Without the grace of God, I wouldn’t be here right now.“

Bell said there were times he doubted if it would work out.

“Almost every day,” he said. “But the times I felt that, I’d talk to the coaches and they told me to keep my head up, it will work out. I talked to my parents. I prayed about it. I pushed harder.“

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Bell called wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore to deliver the news on Friday. Bell has kept close tabs on Nebraska this fall, coming to Lincoln for the Kansas game and attending the Gator Bowl, which was just about an hour from his home.

Certainly Nebraska can use another body for competition at the receiver spot, as the Huskers begin to adjust to life without Nate Swift and Todd Peterson. The current class has just one wide receiver commitment — juco recruit Brandon Kinnie of Fort Scott Community College.

Bell’s news supplied the good for the Huskers.

Here’s the bad: Defensive end Kevin Young, who initially committed to his homestate Kansas then de-committed from there in favor of Nebraska, has had another change of mind and is back with Kansas, according to Scout.com.

“I just didn’t feel right with Nebraska,” Young told Scout. “I started to think about where I would be able to succeed the most and everything in my heart told me Kansas.

“I just started feeling like this. I felt like I was told one thing and other things were occurring. They were still recruiting (defensive ends) and playing time seemed an issue. I just feel like I will be better off at Kansas.“

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Young is a product of Olathe North High School in Kansas and was highly sought-after by the Jayhawks.

His de-commitment puts Nebraska at 21 known commits for this class. It also appears that Euless (Texas) Trinity linebacker Earnest Norman won’t be on board in this recruiting class due to academic issues.

It’s believed the Huskers would want about 23 recruits when signing day rolls around on Feb. 4.