Marlon Lucky's career

What history will say of his Husker carrer? A five star player who came after AP left Oklahoma. Big pressure by fans who thought the Husker might have a AP in Lucky. Well the Huskers didn't get an AP but a Roger Craig. A running back who could run and catch the ball. Lucky just wasn't a first and second down running back. He could play all 4 downs. As time went on his pass protection became better. Top five in several school records. Lucky might not have lived up to the hype, but he was no bust either. A- carrer. Good Luck to Marlon as a third down back in the NFL. He should be able to make the NFL.

I don't think you can acurately judge any player who played under Callahan's system for three years. If Marlon had played under a coach like Pelini his entire college carreer I think he'd a had a chance to re-write some record books at Nebraska. As it is he was far, far, from being a bust. I wish nothing but the best for Marlon as he moves on and am thankful he played here.

Some folks will call him a bust :bang because of the hype put on him by recruiting sites which if you ask me is complete crap. If people don’t pay attention to the hype and look at his body of work, he had a pretty good career.

I sure wish they would have redshirted him that first year instead of wasting it on Kickoff returns but what can you do. That is the way of college football look at Dennard this year.

Lucky can thank BC for his career going no where. He had great possibilities that just never came around. It didn't help that the O-line got as bad as it was either.

He did have one hell of a JR season under Callahan, so I would not not throw it all on Callahans shoulders, Lucky was a great team player, a very unselfish individual, wish him nothing but the best!

I think he ended up just about where he belongs. I never felt he had the talent of an AP or even one our past top backs. To me he always lacked the heart to be a great Nebraska player.

I think he did a good job for Nebraska. I think he gave it all he was capable of doing. I do not blame his lack of star quality on the coaching. He played in a very small uncompetitive league in High School. Some how he got a lot of hype, that he never really showed in actual play in high school.

It seems to me he did enough to be respected for what he accomplished. He actually ended up better than I thought he would. He seems to be a good person, he willl graduate, he did not leave early. He did everything that was asked of him. Because he may not have lived up to some expectations he seems to be the target for a lot of hatred. He is far from a bust. He deserves our respect for the whole body of work.

Without Callahan bringing in the WCO, Lucky doesn't get to set any records as a receiver, and he wasn't going to set records as a rusher, either, though as mentioned he had a good year with Callahan as a multi-faceted feature back, and that is the only reason he will get consideration in the NFL.

Lucky did play under Pelini, and even respecting his injuries it appeared that Pelini considered Marlon no better than a valued role player in a running back platoon. Pelini and Callahan were both right.

If Lucky played under Tom Osborne, he would not have started a single game.

Marlon Lucky did everything asked of him during some troubled times and did it without whining. I wish him the best.

I think he ended up just about where he belongs. I never felt he had the talent of an AP or even one our past top backs. To me he always lacked the heart to be a great Nebraska player.

I couldn't agree more. I remember hearing something early in the season about the coaches having to push him to work harder because he wasn't showing up that well in practice. He seemed like the type of guy who just expected to be great, and didn't think he needed to work for it.

I don't agree with the assumption that "a career under Pelini would have made him a Husker great". As far as the offense is concerned, we have no idea how great some of our players may become. We can expect some defense trophy award winners, but the offense still needs to prove itself.

As far as I'm concerned, he was an over-hyped kid who didn't work hard enough to really make himself as explosive as a Reggie Bush. It's sad, but he made his choices and injuries really nailed him this year. I wish him the best of course, but I don't think he played to his potential.

I guess I don't understand what people expect out of some these kids. If anyone thought Lucky was the next coming of Reggie Bush, then you are shooting for the stars. Hype is all it is, and so what if it followed Lucky here, he had strong competition at RB all 4 years he was here and did what he did and left it on the field. Lucky had good career here and so what if he is not compared to the greats, he deserved to be on the field and I am glad he came to Nebraska to play.

On paper marlon looks great, good size, good speed. During the season i almost wish we would have utilizied him at slot or something like that because he's got some pretty good hands also. IMO he could be a real surprise in the NFL if he's utilized right. Thanks for the hard work and the memories Marlon and best of luck with the future.