Recruiting 5-star players?????

:bang

When will NU be able to realistically be in the mix for the 5 star players?

I love the Pelini hiring,but when you look at rivals 5 star and top 100 players,NU is absent.

Will the current staff be able to recruit these players to Nebraska?

I know star rankings are not everything,but when you look at who is winning MNC,its the guys with the best recruiting.{USC,Fla,LSU,Texas,Ohio State....}

Face it,recruiting is SO important to NU as the state talent pool is so thin.

NU will not win the Big 12 Title until the recruiting is top 10.

Your thoughts? chuckleshuffle

I don't think we have to be in the top 10 in recruiting to win the Big 12. With a coach like Bo developing the talent we have, we will not only win the Big 12, but we will be in the BCS title hunt very soon. This class we have this year is very good. I really like the fact that we got guys from some of the best high school programs in the country. Top 25 class this year, top 15 next year, and we are ready to roll baby.

I love the Pelini hiring,but when you look at rivals 5 star and top 100 players,NU is absent.

I know star rankings are not everything,but when you look at who is winning MNC,its the guys with the best recruiting.{USC,Fla,LSU,Texas,Ohio State....}

Yes recruiting is important and NU fans should want every class to be in the top 10, but at least for a couple years I am done with worrying about the overall ranking. To me, it seems like a player is rated as a 5* only AFTER he is offered by one of the schools you list above, and if this process wasn't just a way to sell subscriptions to an internet site it would be the other way around.

Now before people get into a hissy fit, I know that NU had top 10 classes under Osborne. All I ask is that you remember that we were one of those "Major" schools back them and definitely reaped the benefits.

That said, I am very excited about the class Pelini is bringing in, NU can & WILL win a Big 12 title even without a top 10 recruiting class, and I am certain that highly ranked classes are in NU's future.

Rant over...goodnight!

I don't think we have to be in the top 10 in recruiting to win the Big 12. With a coach like Bo developing the talent we have, we will not only win the Big 12, but we will be in the BCS title hunt very soon. This class we have this year is very good. I really like the fact that we got guys from some of the best high school programs in the country. Top 25 class this year, top 15 next year, and we are ready to roll baby.

Yes,Our class is Top 25,and depending on the coaching,we could move up in the Top 25 rankings during the season.The one unknown is still if Bo and staff can pull in the big time recruit.Hopefully they will,but right now we don't know.

That said,Cody Green was a huge get.Hope he becomes great.

But we still need to surround him{or Zac Lee} with impact players,and the roster,right now,looks bereft of them.

Recruiting rankings are like the chicken and the egg. Do the stars come because of the offers, or do the offers come because of the stars.

Fact #1 Most of the ones in the top 10 all the time, OU, UT, LSU, OSU, USC have most of their classes filled with junior commits, and long before any sort of final star rankings are done. To a large degree the services will look at it as "Oh, Pete Carroll wanted that guy, he MUST be good, 4 star min." And by the same token, if those 'elite' schools didnt offer, well then the player cant be that good. But when you look at the All-American teams, there are usually as many 2 stars on it as 5 star.

Bill Callahan had a reputation as a guy who could spot talent. And thus his classes were highly ranked. How did that work out? ND is the same, top ranked class, finishing just over .500 with a schedule that Baylor would make a bowl game with.

Pelini and his staff are a bunch of unknowns, or lightly regarded recruiters. Until they get a few years under them and the players they bring in show up as being very solid, or great players, this staff wont have the reputation, and the stars that go with it.

Fact #2 Most of the highest ranked teams are in major media markets, or are ND. And yourself, if you are selling a product, how do you market it?

Although I would love to get highly ranked players I think Pelini and his staff are going to have better results once the recruits actually get on campus than Callahan did. That might have more to do with the fact that Pelini is more of a teacher but to me the only class that Callahan had that will end up doing things is the 07' class and that is more bc Pelini is here. If you look at the 08' and 09' classes there are around 35 players that I think are going to be very good players and some of them excellent. I think overall people will be more pleased with Pelinis end result than Callahans for player development.

Just so you know.

We are ranked #30 in recruiting so far. And probably will end up.

Billy C's lowest class was ranked #29 which so far, gave contributors from Anthony West, Piere Allen, Ricky Thenarse, Ricky Henry and Menelik Holt. That's not counting the Juco's like Mo Purify, Andre Jones, and Kenny Wilson

Here's another just so you know:

Solich's 2002 class was ranked 40th in the nation. It produced two national award semi-finalists, three all Big-XII 1st teamers, two first round draft picks, and nearly 1/3 of the class received at least 2nd team all-conference recognition by either the coaches or the AP.

don't pay too much attention to the stars.... don't get me wrong, a 5 star recruit is always nice but until we start winning more they're more likely to choose the latest and the greatest( usc ,texas , florida , ou, etc.)....the key thing we need to focus on is speed and athletism.....there's plenty of 3 or 4 star players out there that fit that criteria.....for the last 5years or so it has been so frustrating seeing how unathletic nu has become...todays game is all about speed....can't tackle 'em if you can't cathh 'em.....i think BO's got nu going in the right direction with the type of players he's bringing in, especially on defense ( LBs , DEs and DTs are smaller and quicker)....we don't need a 285lb DE...what we need is speed and that means going smaller just like in the 90s blackshirts...

Just so you know.

We are ranked #30 in recruiting so far. And probably will end up.

Billy C's lowest class was ranked #29 which so far, gave contributors from Anthony West, Piere Allen, Ricky Thenarse, Ricky Henry and Menelik Holt. That's not counting the Juco's like Mo Purify, Andre Jones, and Kenny Wilson

Not that it matters much, but rivals has us at #25.

5 :star 's don't exactly grow on trees. There are only 33 Rivals 5 :star players. Only ~15 teams managed to get one and only 7 teams got more than one. Now of those 33, I would guess just more than half were actually in play. By "in play", I mean someone who wasn't really already locked up before Nebraska had a chance. The kids from Alabama probably weren't going to leave the state or the SEC, and a guy like Sheldon Richardson had already committed (6/07) before Bo was even hired. However, it would have been nice to see Nebraska in on a few more of those guys that were in play.

So how are we doing for 2010? We don't know. There are no 5 :star ranked players right now. So we are going to have to trust the coaches. And they might not offer a 5 :star prospect that we think they should, but maybe there is more to it than we know. For instance, Texas didn't even offer one of the in-state 5 :star players, Christine Michael. Now we think, how can they not take the #22 player in the Rivals100? Well he wasn't that highly rated until August because he didn't show Rivals what they needed to see until then. Presumably the Texas coaches hadn't seen what they needed to see, and they weren't going to bump a 4 :star player just because of Michael's performance at a camp.

Even if the coaches have offered a 5 :star player and get a commitment from one, there is no guarantee he'd remain one. For instance Cody Green was a 5 :star on Scout for most of the year until the final ratings. Another guy Nebraska was recruiting, Jamarkus McFarland, was a 5 :star all year up until the final ratings. Now, he is still the #6 DT in the class of 2009 and #36 player overall (Rivals) so I'm pretty sure Nebraska would still be happy to have him.

The way I see it....

You can have the best ingredients from the store; but, if you have a bad chef, your meal can still end up tasting bad. But a Great Chef can make ordinary ingredients into a Great meal!

Keep the faith that Bo and Crew are getting the right pieces that fit into their system. These kids fit the Husker mentality. The way I see it...they all have ability, but they were coached and matured into 5 stars.

So, our recruits may be considered 3 or 2 stars now, but with the coaching staff...they're on their way to becoming 5 stars in the college ranks.