Recruiting 5-star players?????

I agree that we need to bring in some top talent in order to compete with top teams.

If you look back over the rivals 100 over the last 5 years, you see that there were pretty accurate with some of their top players, but not with others

2002:

1 - Vince Young

2 - Haloti Ngata - Oregon

3 - Lorenzo Booker - Florida State

4 - Ben Olsen - Never signed anywhere

5 - Reggie McNeal - Tex AM

#78-David Horne

1 - Ernie Sims LB Florida State

2 - Reggie Bush - USC

3 - Whitney Lewis - USC

4 - Andrew Caldwell - Florida

5 - Kyle Write - Miami

0 husker recruites in top 100

1- Adrian Peterson

2 - Teddy Ginn Jr

3 - Early Doucet

4 - Rhett Bomar

5 - Kieth Rivers

#42 - Lydon Murtha

#75 - Courtney Grixby

Derrick Williams

Patrick Turner

Eugene Monroe

Melvin Aleazae

Ray Mauluga

#13 - Marlon Lucky

#47 - Leon Jackson

#51 - Ndamukong Suh

#76 - Phillip Dillard

Percy Harvin

Andre Smith

Chis (beenie) wells

Sergio Kindle

Matthew Stafford

0 husker recruites in top 100

Jimmy Claussen

Joe Mcknight

Eric Berry

Ryan Mallet

Carlos Dunlap

#73 - Niles Paul

Terrel Prior

Dequan Bowers (DE Clemson)

Mike Adams

Julio Jones

Patrick Johnson

#8 - Baker Steinkuhler

Looking back over that list, I would definetely take some of those names, but there are others that I have never heard of before.

BUT if 40 % of all americans were 4 and 5 star players, yet only 5-10 % receive that award, then that shows how valuable they are and can be. I agree that we need to bring in that level of athlete, but i don't think our success hinges on it.

You can look at Utah. Also keep in mind that for every example against the importance of 4 and 5 stars, there are 5 examples that support the idea. bringing in those athletes usually leads to success on the field.

All I can say is Bo goes after players from competitive areas and championship caliber teams, and we have a number of those type of players in this class. Taylor Martinez is an example of that -- a proven winner as he led his team to a perfect 15 and 0 record. Cody Green made it to the finals and had a great game even though his team lost. Who knows if a guy like Blain Gabbert, who played for a crappy team, whether he will live up to expectations.

All I can say is Bo goes after players from competitive areas and championship caliber teams, and we have a number of those type of players in this class. Taylor Martinez is an example of that -- a proven winner as he led his team to a perfect 15 and 0 record. Cody Green made it to the finals and had a great game even though his team lost. Who knows if a guy like Blain Gabbert, who played for a crappy team, whether he will live up to expectations.

Very good point. Just like Josh Freeman, Blain Gabbert was a 5 star, and both of their hs teams were terrible. All they have is good measurables, but no big game experince at all. Where as Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing did not have the measurables, but were winners from big time Texas high school programs. I think Gabbert will really struggle on the big stage, because he has never been there before.

Can you imagine how we'd do with the 5 star players?!

Pellini did a great job with this group that was pretty much unchanged from under Cally. We were expected to get worse before we got better. Yet, we went bowling this year. Shows that good coaching can make a huge difference on a team.

Hmm...maybe we need to have a few more coaches clinics in Cali and in Texas like they did in Jacksonville. :)

Repeat after me: RECRUITING MATTERS!!!

The teams that do well in recruiting win the most, period. There is a correlation, and we can't ignore it.

So yes, our recruiting has to get better if we want to perennially compete for Big 12 and National championships...

No, I don't belive you at all. So I will not repeat those words. Now you repeat after me: Recruiting does not matter at all, and walk-ons from Nebraska is all we need to win the BCS Championship. And no insert sarcasam sign is needed at all either.

Repeat after me: RECRUITING MATTERS!!!

The teams that do well in recruiting win the most, period. There is a correlation, and we can't ignore it.

So yes, our recruiting has to get better if we want to perennially compete for Big 12 and National championships...

No, I don't belive you at all. So I will not repeat those words. Now you repeat after me: Recruiting does not matter at all, and walk-ons from Nebraska is all we need to win the BCS Championship. And no insert sarcasam sign is needed at all either.

Recruiting DOES matter.Yes,5 star players don't grow on trees.But I would like to see NU in on players on the Rivals top 100.2009 class,not so much.We still don't know if this staff can recruit.I'd say they probably can.The staff sure can coach.What would they do with Tejas' players?

Recruiting needs to get to the point where Rivals etc say Pelini is recruiting this kid,he must be a stud.{ala PCarroll}.You reap what you sough.Look at USC,Texas,Fla,OSU,OU.

Remember,OU battles and beats Texas alot of the time for big time recruits in the Longhorns own backyard.Lets get NU in the mix for the best players in Texas.

It's a new world.Recruiting is a huge part of the equation for Championships.

:bang

When will NU be able to realistically be in the mix for the 5 star players?

I love the Pelini hiring,but when you look at rivals 5 star and top 100 players,NU is absent.

Will the current staff be able to recruit these players to Nebraska?

I know star rankings are not everything,but when you look at who is winning MNC,its the guys with the best recruiting.{USC,Fla,LSU,Texas,Ohio State....}

Face it,recruiting is SO important to NU as the state talent pool is so thin.

NU will not win the Big 12 Title until the recruiting is top 10.

Your thoughts? chuckleshuffle

How many 5 stars did we have in the 88' recruiting class. 89'? 90'? 91'? Well, you get the point. How many of those classes ended up in the top 10 for recruiting classes? Even when we were winning 3 NC's in 4 years, the florida schools and other coastal schools were getting all the best recruits. I don't see a change in that pattern anytime soon. However, it doesn't mean we can't or won't win.

So how are we doing for 2010? We don't know. There are no 5 :star ranked players right now.

Considering I've been entering stats for 5 :star players Nebraska has offered for 2010, that was a pretty dumb statement. (I guess if I said Rivals doesn't have 5 :star players for 2010 it might have been correct.)

Anyway, the facts are of the ten 5 :star players on Scout, two have committed to Notre Dame (:wtf) and one to Miami. Nebraska has known offers to 2 of the remaining 7 uncommitted players:

WR Justin McCay Ht: 6-3 Wt: 197 Shawnee (KS) Bishop Miege :star :star :star :star :star/Rivals250 To Watch/ESPN150 Watch List

DE Jackson Jeffcoat Ht: 6-4 Wt: 233 40: 4.6 Plano (West), TX :star :star :star :star :star/Rivals250 To Watch/ESPN150 Watch List

Yes, all but arbitrary ranking systems provided by infallible recruiting services is the only way Nebraska will ever see success on the field. How else could it happen?

This quote should end this thread right now.

Star rankings are 100% overrated. At best, they give a "general" idea at how good a kid is, but they judge it off of high school ability. College is a whole different thing, as we all know. Osborne never had consistently Top 10 ranked recruiting classes, he often found his way into the lower 30's and 20's. He never promised kids playing time, and he never promised stardom, all he promised was that if they worked hard they would reap the benefits in the end. Bo Pelini said today in the Recruiting Press Conference that he didn't promise anything to the players other than a chance to play Nebraska football if they worked hard enough.

I would rather take Bo Pelini and his 3 and 4 star guys into battle rather than some guy like Callahan and his nationally ranked classes that underachieve all the way.

/edit: What happened to the last great 5 star player we recruited at a high profile position? All he had were moments of greatness, but he was never consistent and had terrible work ethic.