Biggest need in the 2010 class?

L/B 8 offers but only "3" showing interest, that worries me.

Don't let it worry you. Those numbers for interests are inaccurate or rather don't mean much*. The Rivals list of LBs with offers, interest in, or interest from Nebraska numbers 20 or so. (For comparison the WR count is also about 20, QB is a few more than that.)

* I was basing my count on what had been entered into the forum, but we are generally only creating topics for guys who have had offers. Guys who we think might get offers or guys that there is lots of interest in like Ron Coleman have also sometimes been entered. Thus the discrepancy.

• 4 weeks later...

LINES,LINES,LINES football teams live and die in the trenchs. This is an area we need constant quality depth.

We also need an Impact receiver, we certainly don't need to waste schollies on a half dozen 4th and 5th receivers like we have been for oh say 5 years.

Agreed. Football teams are built from the lines back. Great lines allow you so much flexibility - on offense you can be balanced or concentrate on a team's defensive weak spots. On defense, you can generate a pass rush with just four players. When you can do those things, you can get by with less than stellar talent at just about any position. And when you add that stellar talent to other postions, you create a teams that's almost impossible to beat.

Anyone else wondering why we apparently have only 5 current offers for DT? And have only offered 7 total (2 committed to Texas).

Probably because there are only about 18 scholarships to give in the 2010 class, and we'll have 6 scholarship DT's this fall and only Suh will graduate. So we're probably only taking 1 DT in this class. Plus it's still really early in the recruiting process. The staff will put out more offers over the course of the spring and summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Sherman is on fire. I can't believe how many commits A&M has got the past few days...will be interesting to see if it actually translates into on field success

Mike Sherman is probably selling the same vacuous dream that our former coach did-playing in the NFL.

To the point of the thread...the biggest "need" for the 2010 class is, hands down DT and CB.

All other positions the Huskers will be adequate with signing one at each position.

QB...Lee, Spano, ?Martinez?, Ebke = stocked.

RB...Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, Burkhead = stocked.

WR...Paul, Holt, Bell, Cooper, Gilleylen, Osborne = stocked.

TE...McNeill, Young, Cotton, Reed = stocked.

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

DB...pretty much stocked.

Coach Sherman is on fire. I can't believe how many commits A&M has got the past few days...will be interesting to see if it actually translates into on field success

Mike Sherman is probably selling the same vacuous dream that our former coach did-playing in the NFL.

To the point of the thread...the biggest "need" for the 2010 class is, hands down DT and CB.

All other positions the Huskers will be adequate with signing one at each position.

QB...Lee, Spano, ?Martinez?, Ebke = stocked.

RB...Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, Burkhead = stocked.

WR...Paul, Holt, Bell, Cooper, Gilleylen, Osborne = stocked.

TE...McNeill, Young, Cotton, Reed = stocked.

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

DB...pretty much stocked.

Agree with the mistress on this, IMO with Antonio Bell emerging, kyler Reed Khiry Cooper and Martinez NU is loaded. We need maybe two of the Freshman to be good enough to contribute, Burkhead is ready and could be put in the slot position and the 09 team will be nearly impossible to stop. the biggest surprise we could get is B Qvale is ready for prime time, its been a while since an Olineman emerged in his first fall, but you should try and remember the impact Will Shields had, we just need one great surprise on offense and defense that can add depth early and play into a starting role by year end, Qvale might be the guy. Same would be true on D line

the TX Dline man who was player of the year may be the other guy who can contribute in the fall as a rotational player that is good enough, but not necessary, to take starts by year end. I see Crick and Baker as huge question marks, if one or the other makes Suhs double teams non productive, we'll go far. Line backer speed is headed up, saftey tackling and recognition must go up several notches, way too many plays got away from safeties last year.

In watsons offense, we can run whatever the opponents weakness are. If Watson sees Lester as a Chris Brown look out, big 12 defenses are not re tooled to stop the power option game, as everyone has spent the last few years adding speed to stop the wide recvr sets, and offenses have focused on the recvrs and timing game. You bring power into this league at this time and i think you hurt everyone else. our depth at TE will enable the power game, and where its not needed will be upgraded with repect to offensive production as well, Reed is a dimnesional rule breaker at the position......He can get on a block faster, and has great hands while in recv mode. Combined the potential is sky high for this team, and skys the limit, if just a few more surpises arrive in the fall.

Speaking of DE...I think this is still the most concerning position to me. If Williams or Meredith don't develop, we could have some issues there.

Last year we brought in a stud in Ankrah (who I really hope qualifies)...but missing out on Kevin Young seemed to really hurt our depth.