Biggest need in the 2010 class?

Speaking of DE...I think this is still the most concerning position to me. If Williams or Meredith don't develop, we could have some issues there.

Last year we brought in a stud in Ankrah (who I really hope qualifies)...but missing out on Kevin Young seemed to really hurt our depth.

I honestly think you're needlessly worrying here.

1. Josh Williams and Cameron Meredith are developing just fine and are really pushing Pierre Allen and Barry Turner for playing time. Remember that Meredith played as a true freshman after Turner was hurt last year.

2. I haven't heard anything about Jason Ankrah not qualifying.

3. Kevin Young. From what I saw of him on film last year, be glad this kid went to Kansas because he's really not that good:

* He's kinda slow

* He doesn't really explode of the line

* He has trouble shedding blocks

* He some times plays with a high pad level

* He's inconsistent

* He's been known, at least from what I've heard through the grapevine, to take plays off

(Although I can't honestly say, with 100% accuracy, if the last * is true. Although I tend to believe that from the film I watched last year. )

I'm not really TOO worried, but I am MORE worried about DE than DT.

Bo moved Quentin Toailoa from defensive tackle to the offensive line and DT David Harvey back to DE...so it appears that he is satisfied with the depth that we have there.

I know DT is one of the hardest positions to recruit and we definitely always want more quality players for the program, but DE I feel is a bigger ????

--- "1. Josh Williams and Cameron Meredith are developing just fine and are really pushing Pierre Allen and Barry Turner for playing time. Remember that Meredith played as a true freshman after Turner was hurt last year."

Meredith played for a game and recorded no stats. Its nice that the coaches believed in him last year, but was that do to the lack of depth that we have that we were almost forced to play a true freshman.

As for Williams....he's a good prospect that people were excited about when he was recruited. He is apparently filling out...now around ~245 lbs, but the problem is that he hasn't played a down!

Next there is sophomore Will Yancy and, coming back to DE from DT, David Harvey.

After that there are a lot of walk on players we know little about.

I just feel that last year we added one difference maker, Jason Ankrah (and I believe there was a lot of talk about him potentially not qualifying) and then nobody else.

I'm not sure I wanted someone like Kevin Young on the team...but it would have helped for depth.

As for your comments on his film...well, those are the type of things I am hoping the coaching staff can work with once a player gets on campus.

He was taking plays off in his highlight film, or you were watching whole game film?

So there's no misunderstanding here...

With regards to Kevin Young: I've heard through the grapevine, he tends to take plays off during a game.

Although I can't honestly say, with 100% accuracy, if this is true or not.

However, based on the film I did see of him last year, all these points are valid.

* He's kinda slow

* He's inconsistent

Kevin Young is a developmental project who, even at Kansas, probably won't even see the field, barring a severe run of injuries along the DL until his redshirt junior year-if ever.

Now could I be wrong about this kid? Sure. But from what I saw he was nothing special and I think he'll be nothing more than a career back-up. JMO.

Edit: Here's Kevin Young's highlight film...

At the 1:10 and 1:50 marks are really good examples, I think, about not maintaining proper pad level. If he stands up like that in college he'll get pancaked.

And for the record Young is a little better than what I thought. I actually had him confused with another DE prospect...sorry.

As far as his speed goes though he looks like he lumbers.

My opinion is conditional: IF one of the receivers we have now doesn't become a consistent threat (or at least an occasional deep threat), I think the only thing NU's offense will be missing is a true dynamo at receiver. We need a guy who makes everyone in the stadium suck some wind and hold it every time Lee takes a snap. That said, we did very well with possession receivers last year, and with an improved defense the need for this might be less than it was. Even still, that's probably 1 or 2 on my wish list.

All other positions the Huskers will be adequate with signing one at each position.

QB...Lee, Spano, ?Martinez?, Ebke = stocked.

RB...Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, Burkhead = stocked.

WR...Paul, Holt, Bell, Cooper, Gilleylen, Osborne = stocked.

TE...McNeill, Young, Cotton, Reed = stocked.

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

DB...pretty much stocked.

We need about 3-4 OL in this years class. Also, some depth on DL would be nice as would a few WR's.

All other positions the Huskers will be adequate with signing one at each position.

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

We need about 3-4 OL in this years class. Also, some depth on DL would be nice as would a few WR's.

I second that, need to remember that recruiting for O-Line projects 2 years down the line not for next year since almost all O-Linemen need a RS year to physically develop for college ball. The O-Line does look solid for 2010, but looking at the numbers they don't have enough scholarship players to fill a 2 deep in 2011. Even allowing for 1 maybe 2 walk ons still doesn't get them the 10 players since you have to account for attrition, either due to injury, lack of development, or transfers. I think they need at least 3 O-Linemen, but I would prefer to see 4 or maybe even 5. Add DL and WR to that list and those are the areas I think we could see multiple signings.

He was taking plays off in his highlight film, or you were watching whole game film?

So there's no misunderstanding here...

With regards to Kevin Young: I've heard through the grapevine, he tends to take plays off during a game.

Although I can't honestly say, with 100% accuracy, if this is true or not.

However, based on the film I did see of him last year, all these points are valid.

* He's kinda slow

* He's inconsistent

Kevin Young is a developmental project who, even at Kansas, probably won't even see the field, barring a severe run of injuries along the DL until his redshirt junior year-if ever.

Now could I be wrong about this kid? Sure. But from what I saw he was nothing special and I think he'll be nothing more than a career back-up. JMO.

Edit: Here's Kevin Young's highlight film...

At the 1:10 and 1:50 marks are really good examples, I think, about not maintaining proper pad level. If he stands up like that in college he'll get pancaked.

And for the record Young is a little better than what I thought. I actually had him confused with another DE prospect...sorry.

As far as his speed goes though he looks like he lumbers.

All I know about Young, besides the decommit issues, is that he camped at NU last summer and Bo and Co absolutely LOVED this kid. That is why they stayed on him so hard through out. I am not sure how he will turn out at KU, but I do know that our coaches felt they lost a good player.

Here are, in my opinion, the biggest needs.

1) Quarterbacks. Now, obviously we have Lee for two years and Cody to follow, but other than that Spano is really the only other viable option at this point as Washington is going to need awhile to learn the playbook/get back into the quarterback groove. We need a recruit that can help challenge, compete, and provide nice depth to the position. If somebody goes down, we need a viable back up.

2) Wide Receivers. We have quite a few who could make a showing, but we are still lacking that big body guy. We don't have one until Kinnie comes in next fall, but we need other like him and Paul. We also need to start building some depth there since it is a very inexperienced part of the offense. Interesting stat here: not including tight ends, we only have 2 touchdown grabs total out of the returning receivers we have.

3) Offensive Tackle. We need some more depth and experience there, as many of the guy playing at the tackle position this year will be graduating in a year or two and we don't have many reasonable back ups quite yet.

4) I could keep going, but I think i'll finish up with Defensive Tackle. We have some depth there now, but once Suh leaves we have some big shoes to fill and not many to fill them with. The D-line is the heart of the defense and I feel that it needs to be the deepest and most experienced part. After all, the defense is a trickle down effect. If the line doesn't get it done it is up to the line backers, and if the line backers don't get it done it is up to the DB's. The better experienced the line, the better our defense will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I preach, LINES,LINES,LINES. I think Pellini is limiting the schollie offers on DT because he doesn't want depth guys so much as impact guys. That is 1-2 real standouts VS 6 so-so guys.

1-2 more quality O lineman should do it for this class.

Definately need 2-3 propects at DE and 2-3 at LB.

As to wide out, I think we need to swing for the fences on this one. I would hate to see us with 14 wide outs that suck (IE Callly era). Also, I would like to see how Burkhead would fit in at the slot/ Split End spot.

QB (preferrably one who is impervious to injury). We might have to build depth here which could mean opportunity for eager recruits.

Let me redo this. Previously I said...

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

And I wasn't even drunk when I posted that... :laughpound

Biggest needs for the 2010 class are DT and WR.

Given the fact that the Huskers will probably only be able to take 15-17 players for the 2010 class here's the way I think it could fall:

3 WR -- Definitely a pressing need especially since the Huskers run a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets.

3 DT -- Probably the single most difficult position to find quality players.

4 OL -- As previously stated need to keep the OL stocked.

1 QB -- There's kind of a crunch here right now but the situation isn't drastic or dire.

1 DE -- Would like to take more but the numbers, compared to other needs don't really allow it.

1 LB -- Same as with the DE spot.

2 DB -- Should probably take more because of all the spread offenses in the Big 12.

RB or TE -- These are two spots that really aren't needed in the 2010 class unless, again as previously stated, Bo and company can hit a grand slam home run.

Let me redo this. Previously I said...

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

And I wasn't even drunk when I posted that... :laughpound

Biggest needs for the 2010 class are DT and WR.

Given the fact that the Huskers will probably only be able to take 15-17 players for the 2010 class here's the way I think it could fall:

3 WR -- Definitely a pressing need especially since the Huskers run a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets.

3 DT -- Probably the single most difficult position to find quality players.

4 OL -- As previously stated need to keep the OL stocked.

1 QB -- There's kind of a crunch here right now but the situation isn't drastic or dire.

1 DE -- Would like to take more but the numbers, compared to other needs don't really allow it.

1 LB -- Same as with the DE spot.

2 DB -- Should probably take more because of all the spread offenses in the Big 12.

RB or TE -- These are two spots that really aren't needed in the 2010 class unless, again as previously stated, Bo and company can hit a grand slam home run.

I could live with that. I think though that we will get maybe 2 DT and the extra spot goes to a DE getting 2 and 2 for this class.