Biggest need in the 2010 class?

Basing this on the early offers and interest (which could mean the kid is hearing from the school or he just wants to go here), is probably pretty inexact, but here is a breakdown of the current list of known offers and what I think it might mean as far as recruiting numbers. (And given that the coaches don't even know what the final positional tally will be, this is probably wildly inaccurate.):

QB: 10+ offers, 5 others hearing from Nebraska -- Given the unknowns surrounding the position, Nebraska needs to get a top-tier QB in every class. Expect the first guy to commit to be the one for this class.

WR: 12+ offers, 8 interests -- It looks like WR is the main focus of the 2010 class. Nebraska has to be really hoping to add at least 1 or 2 top-of-the-line WRs this year and will probably take 3 in all depending on how things shake out at other positions. Since Bell was added to last years class, WR depth might not be in the dire shape it would have been without him.

TE: 0 offers, 2 interests -- Obviously not a focus this year so far, the coaches must like the current depth. Or maybe haven't seen enough film to offer anyone.

OL: 5 offers, 1 interest -- Despite the large number signed last year, Nebraska needs to bring in OL talent every year. Further offers may be waiting on how certain prospects perform in camp, but based on this early number, it looks like Nebraska will be content with 2 OL this year though 3 would also make sense.

RB: 3 offers, 6 interests -- Nebraska is swinging for the fences with its early offers and is certainly not going to waste a slot on a subpar RB this year. With the small number of offers, it would almost appear Nebraska wouldn't mind taking 0 RBs this year if they can't find the right guy and hit the jackpot at another position (or perhaps offer a local kid late if they miss out on a 4 or 5 :star guy)

FB: 1 offer -- Nebraska is not likely to take a FB this year. The one offered FB committed to Washington and was probably offered as RB.

DB: 4+ offers, 1 interest -- After filling up on DBs last year, this is another position that Nebraska will focus on quality instead of quantity. I'm guessing 2 DBs and maybe another ATH type who could end up on either side of the ball

LB: 8 offers, 3 interest -- Nebraska needs to take 2 or 3 LBs most years and I don't think this year will be any different. While this position lacked depth last year (4 LBs graduated the year before and several incoming players red-shirted) and at least 3 LBs who contributed graduate this year, the 2 incoming LBs puts Nebraska at 8 scholarship LBs for 2010 pending possible scholarship awards to walk-ons and attrition.

DE: 7 offers, 7 interests -- Based on the current known offers, a surprising area of interest. It would appear that 2 or 3 DEs are possible for this class

DT: 4 offers, 3 interests -- Based on the current known offers, a surprisingly small number of offers. It seems like either the staff is waiting until camp to make more offers or they are only planning on taking 1 DT in this class. I still think 2 is a good guess for this position.

Of course these guesstimates are limited by the small class size of some where around 15-18 (13 seniors + other attrition) so if Nebraska takes 3 DEs, they might take only 1 DT or only 2 LBs.

DE will be a huge position for next year. We have allen (JR) next year, Turner (SR), Yancy (unkown what this kid is capable of) Meridith (rFR) Williams (rFR) and Ankray (FR). That means after next year, we will not have enough guys to fill 3 deep at the position on both sides. I bet we will take 2-3 DEs and 1-2 guys who could play DE/DT.

Basing this on the early offers and interest (which could mean the kid is hearing from the school or he just wants to go here), is probably pretty inexact, but here is a breakdown of the current list of known offers and what I think it might mean as far as recruiting numbers. (And given that the coaches don't even know what the final positional tally will be, this is probably wildly inaccurate.):

QB: 10+ offers, 5 others hearing from Nebraska -- Given the unknowns surrounding the position, Nebraska needs to get a top-tier QB in every class. Expect the first guy to commit to be the one for this class.

WR: 12+ offers, 8 interests -- It looks like WR is the main focus of the 2010 class. Nebraska has to be really hoping to add at least 1 or 2 top-of-the-line WRs this year and will probably take 3 in all depending on how things shake out at other positions. Since Bell was added to last years class, WR depth might not be in the dire shape it would have been without him.

TE: 0 offers, 2 interests -- Obviously not a focus this year so far, the coaches must like the current depth. Or maybe haven't seen enough film to offer anyone.

OL: 5 offers, 1 interest -- Despite the large number signed last year, Nebraska needs to bring in OL talent every year. Further offers may be waiting on how certain prospects perform in camp, but based on this early number, it looks like Nebraska will be content with 2 OL this year though 3 would also make sense.

RB: 3 offers, 6 interests -- Nebraska is swinging for the fences with its early offers and is certainly not going to waste a slot on a subpar RB this year. With the small number of offers, it would almost appear Nebraska wouldn't mind taking 0 RBs this year if they can't find the right guy and hit the jackpot at another position (or perhaps offer a local kid late if they miss out on a 4 or 5 :star guy)

FB: 1 offer -- Nebraska is not likely to take a FB this year. The one offered FB committed to Washington and was probably offered as RB.

DB: 4+ offers, 1 interest -- After filling up on DBs last year, this is another position that Nebraska will focus on quality instead of quantity. I'm guessing 2 DBs and maybe another ATH type who could end up on either side of the ball

LB: 8 offers, 3 interest -- Nebraska needs to take 2 or 3 LBs most years and I don't think this year will be any different. While this position lacked depth last year (4 LBs graduated the year before and several incoming players red-shirted) and at least 3 LBs who contributed graduate this year, the 2 incoming LBs puts Nebraska at 8 scholarship LBs for 2010 pending possible scholarship awards to walk-ons and attrition.

DE: 7 offers, 7 interests -- Based on the current known offers, a surprising area of interest. It would appear that 2 or 3 DEs are possible for this class

DT: 4 offers, 3 interests -- Based on the current known offers, a surprisingly small number of offers. It seems like either the staff is waiting until camp to make more offers or they are only planning on taking 1 DT in this class. I still think 2 is a good guess for this position.

Of course these guesstimates are limited by the small class size of some where around 15-18 (13 seniors + other attrition) so if Nebraska takes 3 DEs, they might take only 1 DT or only 2 LBs.

L/B 8 offers but only "3" showing interest, that worries me. Why so little interest on a position that Bo seems to make a focal point in his play calling. You would think, recruits would be jumping at the chance to learn under maybe the best defensive coach in college football.

W/R is still the position I would like to see them shore up right away. To much unproven talent there, to take a wait and lets see. Flood that position over the next couple of years, bound to get a couple of great ones sooner or later.

GBR!!!