DE-2

LB-2

DB-3

QB-1

RB-1

WR-3

OL-3

TE-1

I can see us passing on a TE or RB and taking another O/D lineman or maybe another DB.

We were left shot on d-line and wr last class, gotta consider that a priority.

I'd say, based on a class of 18:

DT-2

DE-2

LB-2

DB-3

QB-1

RB-1

WR-3

OL-3

TE-1

I can see us passing on a TE or RB and taking another O/D lineman or maybe another DB.

So assuming the current numbers are right and they can't take more than 15-16, what would you cut?

DT-2

DE-2

LB-2

DB-3

QB-1

RB-1

WR-3

OL-3

TE-1

So assuming the current numbers are right and they can't take more than 15-16, what would you cut?

Based on what Danimal said, if I had to cut three-to get to 15, I'd cut...

The RB and the TE because with the depth currently there at those two positions there's really no need to take one this year.

Okay so there's two gone, so we have to find one more to cut...

Cut 1 DE because it's really the only position right now that actually can be cut and still fill the existing needs.

JMO.

DT-2

DE-2

LB-2

DB-3

QB-1

RB-1

WR-3

OL-3

TE-1

Based on what Danimal said, if I had to cut three-to get to 15, I'd cut...

The RB and the TE because with the depth currently there at those two positions there's really no need to take one this year.

Okay so there's two gone, so we have to find one more to cut...

Cut 1 DE because it's really the only position right now that actually can be cut and still fill the existing needs.

JMO.

That is the rub isn't it? The scholly crunch makes it tough. I would agree with you on TE and RB, but instead of cutting DE I would cut a LB instead. We have 18 LB's on the roster (includes Martin and Williams), 11 are Freshmen or Redshirt Frosh. 3 more are Sophomores. Only 3 possible major contributors are not one of those 14 freshmen and sophomores, those 3 are Dillard, Koehler, and Lawrence. Koehler and Dillard both play the MIKE and you have Compton, Williams and Martin that could fill that spot, oh and also May. Lawrence plays WILL where you have May, Whaley and Holt that will play there. I just think there is less depth at DE right now.

• 5 months later...

So based on the some of the recent departures, more slots should be available for 2010. What positions do you all think will see increased over previous estimates?

DT-2

DE-2

LB-2

DB-3

QB-1

RB-1

WR-3

OL-3

TE-1

Anyone else wondering why we apparently have only 5 current offers for DT? And have only offered 7 total (2 committed to Texas).

Probably because there are only about 18 scholarships to give in the 2010 class, and we'll have 6 scholarship DT's this fall and only Suh will graduate. So we're probably only taking 1 DT in this class. Plus it's still really early in the recruiting process. The staff will put out more offers over the course of the spring and summer.

We better take more than 1 DT

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Sherman is on fire. I can't believe how many commits A&M has got the past few days...will be interesting to see if it actually translates into on field success

Mike Sherman is probably selling the same vacuous dream that our former coach did-playing in the NFL.

To the point of the thread...the biggest "need" for the 2010 class is, hands down DT and CB.

All other positions the Huskers will be adequate with signing one at each position.

QB...Lee, Spano, ?Martinez?, Ebke = stocked.

RB...Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, Burkhead = stocked.

WR...Paul, Holt, Bell, Cooper, Gilleylen, Osborne = stocked.

TE...McNeill, Young, Cotton, Reed = stocked.

OL...stocked

DE...stocked.

LB...stocked.

DB...pretty much stocked.

Agree with the mistress on this, IMO with Antonio Bell emerging, kyler Reed Khiry Cooper and Martinez NU is loaded. We need maybe two of the Freshman to be good enough to contribute, Burkhead is ready and could be put in the slot position and the 09 team will be nearly impossible to stop. the biggest surprise we could get is B Qvale is ready for prime time, its been a while since an Olineman emerged in his first fall, but you should try and remember the impact Will Shields had, we just need one great surprise on offense and defense that can add depth early and play into a starting role by year end, Qvale might be the guy. Same would be true on D line

the TX Dline man who was player of the year may be the other guy who can contribute in the fall as a rotational player that is good enough, but not necessary, to take starts by year end. I see Crick and Baker as huge question marks, if one or the other makes Suhs double teams non productive, we'll go far. Line backer speed is headed up, saftey tackling and recognition must go up several notches, way too many plays got away from safeties last year.

In watsons offense, we can run whatever the opponents weakness are. If Watson sees Lester as a Chris Brown look out, big 12 defenses are not re tooled to stop the power option game, as everyone has spent the last few years adding speed to stop the wide recvr sets, and offenses have focused on the recvrs and timing game. You bring power into this league at this time and i think you hurt everyone else. our depth at TE will enable the power game, and where its not needed will be upgraded with repect to offensive production as well, Reed is a dimnesional rule breaker at the position......He can get on a block faster, and has great hands while in recv mode. Combined the potential is sky high for this team, and skys the limit, if just a few more surpises arrive in the fall.

wow...what a great post.

I 100% agree that big 12 or SEC defenses are not recruited or developed to stop smashmouth option football. That is why I desperately love Bo (after 4 years of Callahan, who wouldn't??) but I would gladly sell my soul to give Watson away to "anybody" and bring in a Paul Johnson/T.O. clone for the OC.

I firmly believe that barring a biblical miracle, the only way for NU to dominate again in cfb is to return to power football. Fluffball just isn't going to hack it for us....

• 3 weeks later...

FYI today Cotton said this:

On recruiting offensive linemen: NU plans to take three of four every year and wants four in this year's class.

Of course, Cotton is also an idiot.

I just noticed we only have 5 offers to uncommitted lineman of which 2 have no interest, and I didn't notice any of them on the visits list. Are we actually content to take just 2 this year? In the Scout article on Calhoun, he says we are no longer recruiting him. It's probably the same for the other guys. I'm thinking the staff likes what it has seen out of the freshman and with some of the injuries is going to have those guys another year. That, the promising start to 2011, and need/success (WR/DE) at other positions may have sealed it. What you guys think?

From reports the last class is damn good. Coffey and Qvale would be playing if not for injury and Sirles practices with the 2's , they just don't want to burn his shirt at this juncture. Next class we already have two elite o-line committed. We shouldn't make stretches to fill this class.

DE is still a need this class. Rome won't end-up there. Word is that Ashburn and/or Vestal may not either. Evidently Vestal has started eating and lifting like he should, which has really had him putting on size. Could end-up a DT or O-lineman.

We really need a fast pass-rusher, hopefully we land Mobley and/or OO.