Patrick Witt

Interesting comments from the Dallasnews. Read the reader remarks.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/ar...s-nebraska.html

WOW...they torch him pretty bad.

Wow, if even only part of what has been said about Witt is true, I doubt he will ever be a good starting QB. The folks down in Texas are quick to point out he is NOT from there. Beware for any team that takes him in, because the last QB we had transfer in who didn't want to compete after losing the job in spring was Keller....and despite the hype he can't lift Joey's jock! :box

Wow, if even only part of what has been said about Witt is true, I doubt he will ever be a good starting QB. The folks down in Texas are quick to point out he is NOT from there. Beware for any team that takes him in, because the last QB we had transfer in who didn't want to compete after losing the job in spring was Keller....and despite the hype he can't lift Joey's jock! :box

Has anybody else noticed that the last few quarterbacks to leave the program after committing/being here for 1-2 seasons has resulted in that quarterback having a poor career? Beck and Freeman (although Freeman is going to the NFL) are two names that pop into my head.

Reading that site and the LJS site, pretty much gives me a good insight on the problem. Father and son both need to find a school and see "if" Patrick can be the star they are trying to make him into. IMO

GBR!!!

Sounds about right, in fact in sounds to me like his dad is the real problem here.

Dear dad: Three highschools transfers- are you shttn me Pyle? Who's life is it anyway? As far as trying to force Bo's hand in the spring - assuming the report is true - again, what are you thinking? Did you actually think Bo was going to cave in to some whinny dad of a Callahan recruit? Gimme a break. Your son, or more likely you, asked to be released from a full ride scholarship from unranked Nebraska (I know, I know, but for the time being it's true), because you were worried the coaching staff might not give him a fair look for the starting QB job. NEWS FLASH...NU doesn't HAVE a starting QB yet! I'm assuming by 'fair look' you meant; name my son as the starter now and have a competition to see who his number 2 will be...doesn't work that way pal. Good riddance.. you see - it's not about what you want, it's about what's best for the program that was willing to give him a free college education wants.

And Patrick, despite what dad tells you NOTHING worthwhile is given to you, or guaranteed. You have to work for everything you get in life. If you wanted to be the starter at Nebraska, fine, work harder than the other guys who want to be the starter at Nebraska, and earn it. Simple as that.

Has anybody else noticed that the last few quarterbacks to leave the program after committing/being here for 1-2 seasons has resulted in that quarterback having a poor career? Beck and Freeman (although Freeman is going to the NFL) are two names that pop into my head.

Yeah, it's a product of the hype machine where they don't realize that the QB position is heavily affected by intangibles, such as the ability to lead, and lead by example. That's why Joey is miles better as a QB (IMO) than Keller. Keller has the "physical" tools but couldn't lead a fish to water.

And Zac Lee is the complete opposite of Witt...a real good guy. I had him in a management info systems course and he was always will to participate, and talk to everyone in the class. So it seems as if he would have the respect of his teammates.

I didn't want to mention it earlier, but after seeing it on the Dallas paper comments, I too heard Witt was a bit of a racist and that the teammates didn't like him.

Good for Bo...we don't need a players parents trying to run the program. We also don't need to give any player guarentees. If that Witt needed to play, then I have to wonder if he was ever going to give 100% to Nebraska, or anyone else.

Good Riddance!! Now we have a scholarship to give to someone that wants to be at Nebraska and is willing to put forth the effort needed to play, not just expect that he is going to be named a starter - and if he isn't, going to pout or take his toys and go home to mommy and daddy...sounds like they have been controlling his life to this point anyway.

And Zac Lee is the complete opposite of Witt...a real good guy. I had him in a management info systems course and he was always will to participate, and talk to everyone in the class. So it seems as if he would have the respect of his teammates.

I didn't want to mention it earlier, but after seeing it on the Dallas paper comments, I too heard Witt was a bit of a racist and that the teammates didn't like him.

<_< I really believe we need to leave any racism hear-say out of this...unless you heard comments directly from Witt? Just not good taste to be accusing someone of that on rumors - especially from a source out of state.

<_< I really believe we need to leave any racism hear-say out of this...unless you heard comments directly from Witt? Just not good taste to be accusing someone of that on rumors - especially from a source out of state.

Oh its not just out of state, it was some of his teammates...hence why I didn't want to bring it up. He lived with Mendoza his freshman year, which is why I was surprised when i heard about this from some people on the team. And I lived on Schramm 2 with Witt...so i know him well enough to say he probably just said some comments here and there that his teammates misconstrued.

FWIW, Freeman didn't fare very well at the combine last weekend.

:yeah

Regarding the questioning of Witt's character, here's my take from personal experience. I lived a couple doors down from Witt and roomed with a former player when he enrolled early in 06. He was a nice guy and his heart's in the right place, the trouble came in the way he went about things. My roomate and other teammates of his were constantly complaining about Patrick from day 1 because he came in with the attitude that he was entitled to everything. He would constantly call them and remind them about practice and workouts and essentially acted as if he was one of their coaches. This would be no problem if Patt was a Junior or Senior but he was an early-enroll freshman talking this way to juniors and seniors who already knew the routine. All the players I talked to disliked him not because he was a bad guy, but because he really just didn't fit in well with his teammates. He tried to run things and give orders without first earning the trust of his teammates and paying his dues.

So I think this has been buiding up over the past 3 years and I can only imagine that his ego is much higher now than when I knew him. Once again, he wasn't a bad guy and I wish him the best but its a positive not a negative that Patt is leaving this team from my experience.

To be honest I don't see the downside in this situation. It seems that Witt had his ideas and Bo had other ideas. When it doubt, Bo is right. It isn't Witt's team. Even in the moments he got on the field, it wasn't as though a shiver ran through the stadium because we could see the superstar ready to explode. With the way the staff is going about the offense (and this goes all the way back to Tom Osborne's comments when he hired Bo to begin with), they want a mobile quarterback, and that will from this point on be a point of expectation for the position.

If Witt thought he could bluff Bo into naming him the starter out of fear of losing him, he apparently found out he was mistaken. Now we may have Lee for a couple of years, then Green after him. Maybe we get Green from the getgo--anything is possible. Either way, the reports all seem to indicate that Witt has some character issues and a me-first attitude about this thing. If he's not ready to fight to win the most prestigious position on the football field, it's probably better we don't give a position of leadership to someone like that. It sets a bad example.

In the end, though, many reports indicate Witt wasn't the best QB at the position anyway, so this whole thing is probably moot. We may have only just let a career backup walk out the door. Hard to say for sure, but as far as character goes, we might have just saved ourselves some real heartache down the road.