bogus 40 times

The NFL combine has released seom of the 40 times for NFL wannabe's.......this is why I always call bullsh#t on recruiting services. The top RB 40 time was 4.46.............Marlon Lucky ran a 4.59 and he was in the top 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think coming out of high school he was running a 4.4 according to the recruiting services. Boy all that running, lifting and expert advice coming from some of the nations top strength and conditioning coaches can really slow a guy down. :dumdum:boxosoap

The highest was a 4.46????

This is a slow class.

actually the WR class was the fastest ever according to one scout that he saw

The RBs that ran were apparently slowish (Lucky ran the same time as Beanie but some TEs put up better numbers). WRs fast:

As was blogged earlier Sunday, wide receivers put up some blazing times in the 40-yard dash.

Now the official results are in.

Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey posted the fastest official time Sunday at 4.30 seconds. His time is tied for the second-fastest mark among receivers since 2000, trailing only the 4.28 posted by Hampton’s Jerome Mathis in 2005. Kansas State’s Yamon Figurs also had a 4.30 run in 2007.

Five receivers posted sub-4.40 marks Sunday. Impressive.

Mississippi’s Mike Wallace had the second-fastest time at 4.33, followed closely by Abilene Christian’s Johnny Knox (4.34). Penn State’s Deon Butler (4.38) and Arizona’s Mike Thomas (4.40) rounded out the top five.

So have the Bears wasted their pick on Heyward-Bey yet?

I wonder if the beating players take in college football wears them down eventually and slows down their times.

The point I'm tryting to make is that players and recruiting sites lie about the 40 times.

As I think Big Willie has said, you can generally knock an inch or so off the heights, 20 or so pounds off the weight, and probably a tenth of a second (at least) off the 40 times. Not always the case, of course, and you would think that the height and weight would be accurate, but it's like college basketball - it's amazing to see an alleged 6'9" guy in college being accurately measured in the pros as 6'6" and the like.

Lucky ran a 4.55 his second time around. That was the time that got him into 10th place out of rb's.

40-times do to tend to be inconsistent affairs. You often don't know what conditions they ran under or whether there may have been a bit of timer error.

Surface can also play a large role. Field turf is significantly slower than a track surface.

Very good point. I tell you what, when I was watching it, they looked like they were smoking fast. The turf added a a tenth of a second for sure.

It does not explain why the receivers would be faster, but many of the faster times from high school were probably recorded with a stop watch. I remember running something like a 4.7 in high school according to the stop watch, but one time coach hooked up the electronic timer and I turned in like a 5.0! It definelty takes getting used to to record a fast time.

Lucky ran a 4.55 his second time around. That was the time that got him into 10th place out of rb's.

40-times do to tend to be inconsistent affairs. You often don't know what conditions they ran under or whether there may have been a bit of timer error.

Surface can also play a large role. Field turf is significantly slower than a track surface.

I would include surface under conditions but ya. I'd bet a fair amount of 4.4's seen on recruiting-sites were recorded on tracks with trackshoes and tights.