Why does everyone want Green to start?

carlfense

What I want to see: the starting QB to be the one that gives us the best chance of winning. What I don't want to see: a rotating QB because none of them get it or have that "it" factor. No matter who starts or plays in 09', we know relatively nothing about them in terms of whether or not they can make the Huskers winners.

I seem to remember very little hype around Ganz. Everyone raise their hand who would like him back for one more year... Did he need to ride the pine for so many years to be as good as he was? Maybe. I would like to see a qb be a starter for more than one year. If Green is good enough to start next year - he will. I would be shocked if he is the best we have given he's still learning the playbook. I think Spano will earn the job for next year. I also think it will be difficult for anyone to take it away from him no matter the hype.

I want him to start because that would mean he is that good of a player.

I think this basically sums up a lot of peoples desires as far as Green goes.

I think the people that want him to start, want him to start because that would mean he is as good as we all hope he is. A true Freshman starter means we have bagged a guy that is going to take us places (in our current QB situation of course). But in all honesty, I think we are being too optimistic. I'm sure he'll be a heck of a football player, just not yet.

my .02

I want him to start because

A. I hope he is good enough

B. I'm sick of not having a QB for more than 2 years, I want a 4 year starter, thus I hope he is good enough to start this year.

Ultimately I want the Best QB to play regardless of what year he is, I just want Green to be the guy and hopefully it isn't because Lee isn't good.... Or spano.....

I want him to start because that would mean he is that good of a player. But that could go for Martinez as well or any other QB on the roster...it just means more when they are freshman. If they can start coming in it just means they are REALLY good (or our other guys are really bad, which I don't think is the case). Not sure if it makes sense or not. I want the best player starting whether it is Green or Lee, but IMO if Green is the better player it just means he is that special of a player which is what I am hoping for which is why I would want him to start.

:yeah

Yes, I agree that it would be great to find another player like Tommie Frazier that could lead the team for the next four years. Would be nice to have a QB that had more starting experience then 3 games the year before.

Though if Nebraska could find a Godowski or McCant that only had a year to play and could accomplish what they did that would be fine with me :)

I think it's more a matter of people wanting Green to be good enough to deserve a starting spot rather than just wanting him to start regardless of where he stacks up compared to the other quarterbacks.

The reason I would like to see him be good enough to start is because that means he is FREAKING GOOD. We haven't had much to talk about for years about a player on our team that was just a complete freak on the football field, and people are hoping Cody Green is that person.

It's kind of sad actually. We've been a bit neglected in terms of insane athletes that we have started pretending that the athletes we do have are freaks. :P

He can still be a 4 year starter if they redshirt him, and would definately be more productive, with a full year and a half of studying the play book working with Waston, Dobson, and all the recievers. At least that's how my logic see's it.

I do agree it would be nice to have a four year starter, who knows maybe it will be Spano. But if not and Lee starts the next 2 years we will be looking at another 2 year or 3 year starter depending on who takes the reins from Lee. That's still some pretty good stability. Better than we've had in a while and by then assuming nobody transfers we should have some really good depth. Not a bad situation at all.

GBR

this is what i like to see....

CCSF 34, Frenso City College 31

San Francisco Chronicle, Sunday, September 17, 2006.

"City College (3-0) Spotted Fresno a 21-0 lead in the second quarter, but mounted a furious comeback led by quarterback, Zach Ledd. Lee was 31 for 48 passing for 465 yards and four touchdown. He also ran for a touchdown. Durell Clark-James intercepted a Fresno pass with 33 seconds left to seal the win."

That sounds close to the stats Ganz put up, on his only start at the Junior college he was at. Hmmmm

GBR!!!

Mr. Black and White here!

1. If you RS him you'll get a better player no matter how good he is now!

2. We have to stop thinking about instant gratification and go with proven steps!

3. Red shirting would also help deture big head syndrome to a point!

And If they have to pull his RS to keep us at a level to keep Bo and Company happy I'll back em! I would really like to bring him in 2010 and share playing time! Of course thats if Spano doesn't step up and kick some!

Mr. Black and White here!

1. If you RS him you'll get a better player no matter how good he is now!

2. We have to stop thinking about instant gratification and go with proven steps!

3. Red shirting would also help deture big head syndrome to a point!

And If they have to pull his RS to keep us at a level to keep Bo and Company happy I'll back em! I would really like to bring him in 2010 and share playing time! Of course thats if Spano doesn't step up and kick some!

As fans we can be pretty unrealistic AND unfair.

For many of us, the latest hot kid on the team should immediately rise to the top and supplant anyone above him. Why? Cuz he has killer talent, killer measurables, killer stats. This really makes little sense when you have players in front of him who, while untested, were LAST year's hot recruit with all those same killer attributes.

Zac and Kody have had more time in the system than Cody. Both have very good measureables. If we had no one who could take up the position, then I would feel differently. But we do.

My question. What if next year by some fluke we land the country's BESt dual threat QB who is bigger, stronger, faster, more accurate and has better stats than Cody Green? How many will be calling for him to start?

With apologies to those who remember Woodstock.....all I am saying-----is give the pieces a chance.

:boxosoap