DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Whatever happens, we have a very solid class this year.

Solid, maybe. But if you want to compete for national titles, you have to do better than solid. Even TO had top 10 classes when he finally won his national titles. You need difference makers to win titles. Difference makers are the difference between 10-2 and 12-0. Think of our national title years and the amount of legitimate stars we had on that team. Tommie Frazier was not a 3-star Grand Island kid who TO coached to greatness. He was a huge prep star who everyone recognized as special coming out of high school. The best coach in the country cannot win a national title without those players. TO couldn't and neither can Bo. Owa is the type of difference maker we need. We will not win a national title with classes consistently ranked outside of the top 20. That's just how it is.

Not true at all.

I can't find the link anymore, but another forum had gone back and found national team rankings for pre-Rivals years. The idea that Osborne never had good recruiting classes is just a myth. The classes that contributed to our national titles were mostly highly ranked. But the main point is, difference makers are necessary. Top 100 type players are necessary to make the jump from a very good, 10-2 type team to a national title contender. Guys like Grant Wistrom (HS all-american by just about every publication) are needed, and Owa seems to be one of those guys.

Kevin Kugler just said on 1620 that Nebraska fans are posting horrible things on Owa's facebook page right now. I hate it when idiot "Husker fans" make the other 99% of us look bad by doing these kind of things or talking trash on other schools' message boards. Hopefully no 2011 recruits take a gander of Owa's FB page. Too bad we can't ban these bad apples from Husker Nation.

• Fire 3

Kevin Kugler just said on 1620 that Nebraska fans are posting horrible things on Owa's facebook page right now. I hate it when idiot "Husker fans" make the other 99% of us look bad by doing these kind of things or talking trash on other schools' message boards. Hopefully no 2011 recruits take a gander of Owa's FB page. Too bad we can't ban these bad apples from Husker Nation.

+ freakin' 1.

Shame on them. I hope Kugler called them out and ripped them a new one, as well as offered Owa an apology on behalf of Husker nation.

:yeah That kind of stuff just really pisses me off. They represent the 1% of so called Husker fans that should be kicked out of the state. just ahhhhhhh.....this kid did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment. :rant

The worst thing in the world is unrealized expectations, no matter how unrealistic those expectations might be. People who get themselves worked up into such a lather over these kids leave themselves open to huge mood swings when they commit elsewhere. If they lack the ability to self-censor, you get nonsense like this.

It's really too bad people are behaving that way. Everything I've seen about Owa says he's a really good kid.

Solid, maybe. But if you want to compete for national titles, you have to do better than solid. Even TO had top 10 classes when he finally won his national titles. You need difference makers to win titles. Difference makers are the difference between 10-2 and 12-0. Think of our national title years and the amount of legitimate stars we had on that team. Tommie Frazier was not a 3-star Grand Island kid who TO coached to greatness. He was a huge prep star who everyone recognized as special coming out of high school. The best coach in the country cannot win a national title without those players. TO couldn't and neither can Bo. Owa is the type of difference maker we need. We will not win a national title with classes consistently ranked outside of the top 20. That's just how it is.

Not true at all.

I can't find the link anymore, but another forum had gone back and found national team rankings for pre-Rivals years. The idea that Osborne never had good recruiting classes is just a myth. The classes that contributed to our national titles were mostly highly ranked. But the main point is, difference makers are necessary. Top 100 type players are necessary to make the jump from a very good, 10-2 type team to a national title contender. Guys like Grant Wistrom (HS all-american by just about every publication) are needed, and Owa seems to be one of those guys.

I agree that TO recruited much better than many fans would have you believe, but he wasn't an elite recruiter by the standards that the recruitnics go by. Here is the link you are referring to I think: HuskerPedia - Historical Recruiting Rankings. They only found the SuperPrep rankings, which became Scout.Com in 2002, but if you look at the 5 year averages for the championship years I think you will be surprised. The 5 year recruiting ranking average for 1994 was 18, the 4 year average was 20. The 5 year average for 1995 was 17.6, the four year average was 15. The 5 year average for 1997 was 14.2, the four year average was 13.25. The highest ranking TO had from 1987 to 1997 was 6, that was in 1996.

+ freakin' 1.

Shame on them. I hope Kugler called them out and ripped them a new one, as well as offered Owa an apology on behalf of Husker nation.

Hopefully Owa realizes that the majority of people making up fbook demographic are college students beginning the weekend alittle early :cheers and the majority of husker nation wish him good luck..

However, he should either fire the person that wrote his speech or look into taking a speech class while at UCLA.

What a day for UCLA

Owa- 5* #8 National

Josh Shirley- 4* #137 National

Anthony Jefferson- 4* #170 National

Jordan Zumwalt- 4* #205 National

You can add Dietrich Riley ( :star :star :star :star ,S, 110 National) to that list. Man, they cleaned up today!

Not just UCLA, the whole pac10 had a great day! :facepalm:

Not true at all.

I agree that TO recruited much better than many fans would have you believe, but he wasn't an elite recruiter by the standards that the recruitnics go by. Here is the link you are referring to I think: HuskerPedia - Historical Recruiting Rankings. They only found the SuperPrep rankings, which became Scout.Com in 2002, but if you look at the 5 year averages for the championship years I think you will be surprised. The 5 year recruiting ranking average for 1994 was 18, the 4 year average was 20. The 5 year average for 1995 was 17.6, the four year average was 15. The 5 year average for 1997 was 14.2, the four year average was 13.25. The highest ranking TO had from 1987 to 1997 was 6, that was in 1996.

Thanks for the link. I understand TO was not elite, but even the worst numbers you posted there are considerably higher than Bo's average thus far, which is around 26. More importantly though is that the real difference makers are the ones that win championships. We had great coaches in the 90s, but we still needed a handful of prep all-americans to make us elite. Bo could win the North 90% of the time and still not be quite to national title contender level if he isn't able to get 1-3 elite recruits every season.

What a day for UCLA

Owa- 5* #8 National

Josh Shirley- 4* #137 National

Anthony Jefferson- 4* #170 National

Jordan Zumwalt- 4* #205 National

You can add Dietrich Riley ( :star :star :star :star ,S, 110 National) to that list. Man, they cleaned up today!

Not just UCLA, the whole pac10 had a great day! :facepalm:

The conference may have had a great day but with Carroll gone which coaches do you think are good in the Pac-10? I still believe it is a conference with great athletes but very soft and I do not see anything that happened today changing that.