DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Bo's quote on Owa's decision:

Pelini said he moves on fast from the ones that get away, but you could also tell the Husker coach felt strongly that Odighizuwa, the five-star defensive end from Portland, missed out by picking UCLA and not the Huskers.

“It’s his mistake,” Pelini said. “Honestly, I don’t get all caught up in all that. I don’t get all stressed out about whether they’re going to come. If it’s right, they’re going to come. You can drive yourself crazy over the whole thing. In the end it’s a crapshoot if he’s going to be as good as anyone says he was anyway. I thought he was a pretty good player. But in my mind, the kids that don’t choose to come here I don’t believe do themselves a service because I believe we’ll develop them better than the other guy. That’s just the confidence I have.”

• Fire 2

Unfortunate to see a guy of his promise waste it. UCLA doesn't have any good coaches, especially no good defensive coaches. It's unfortunate to see a guy like this waste his talent on a school that doesn't have the coaches he needs to make him the AA nebraska coaches would have.

I hope he takes the academics seriously because he now has a better chance to make more money in a career with his diploma than he will with football. I just don't know how he hasn't seen this with UCLA and Slick Rick and all his BS promises. Also, if he is truly a humble guy he doesn't pick UCLA and Los Angeles!! I'm sorry, but with Slick Rick and his crap staff he has a better chance to be bound for mediocrity than glory.

Anyway, I give Carnes much more props today than Owa. Why?? Because he decided to choose the "Hard Road." He didn't take the easy way out and go to a school where he could have started from day one and been the guy. But, he would have only been the guy at WKU and no one else would have ever heard of him. He decided to challenge himself and push himself to come to a school where he will have to compete and earn his spot. He also didn't give up on his dream, a dream of playing for a BCS MNC. This will be happening in the next few years, and he just might be the man leading us to it and throwing sweet fades to Cody Green in the endzone.

C N Red...have you just started watching college football today? UCLA doesn't have any good coaches huh? Norm Chow is one of the best offensive coaches in college football hands down. Chuck Bullough is a hell of a defensive coordinator with NFL coaching experience to boot. I really don't understand when people come on a message board and whine about a 17 year old kid who decides to pick a university other than Nebraska. I guess some need the reality check!

What has Chow really done? He was good at USC when they were winning championships but since then what has he proven except to jump around to different jobs? And Bullough has NFL experience?? Oh no, he MUST be great then, right? The problem is, what has UCLA done lately to prove to highly ranked recruits that they should come there because they are turning it around? Believe me, they are going there for L.A. and whatever BS Ricky told them, of which he will not hold his end up. I'm not so mad at Owa so much for choosing LA, as much as I am for him choosing UCLA. I don't believe he truly thinks he can be as good a football player there as he could at nebraska, or for that matter, florida, oklahoma, etc. I'm not whining about him, I am disappointed and feel sorry he may not live up to his potential as he could have at one of these other schools.

What I find funny is when people come on a message board and ridicule someone else's opinions. Fine, don't agree with me, because I apparently don't agree with you either, but I'm not calling you out on your opinions. What are message boards for if not to post opinions, thoughts, and feelings??????

• Fire 1

Pelini said he moves on fast from the ones that get away, but you could also tell the Husker coach felt strongly that Odighizuwa, the five-star defensive end from Portland, missed out by picking UCLA and not the Huskers.

“It’s his mistake,” Pelini said. “Honestly, I don’t get all caught up in all that. I don’t get all stressed out about whether they’re going to come. If it’s right, they’re going to come. You can drive yourself crazy over the whole thing. In the end it’s a crapshoot if he’s going to be as good as anyone says he was anyway. I thought he was a pretty good player. But in my mind, the kids that don’t choose to come here I don’t believe do themselves a service because I believe we’ll develop them better than the other guy. That’s just the confidence I have.”

Bo never lets me down. You can't be much more straightforward than he was with that statement. No wonder we Nebraskans like the guy so much. Btw, he's going to work wonders with the guys we got this year 'cause they have talent & THEY WANT TO BE HERE. Could a coach ask for anything more?

Bo never lets me down. You can't be much more straightforward than he was with that statement. No wonder we Nebraskans like the guy so much. Btw, he's going to work wonders with the guys we got this year 'cause they have talent & THEY WANT TO BE HERE. Could a coach ask for anything more?

Bo, did you just start watching football today?! What do you mean it's his mistake? Are you saying UCLA isn't a good football program and that Rick is slick? You mean you think he lied to recruits when he told them he'd be there for their entire careers because he is always looking for bigger and better? Oh, not that, you think they'll be in trouble and on double secret probation within 2 years because of Ricky. I understand.

I figured I just as well demean Bo's opinion since that seems like a popular thing today.

Whatever happens, we have a very solid class this year.

Solid, maybe. But if you want to compete for national titles, you have to do better than solid. Even TO had top 10 classes when he finally won his national titles. You need difference makers to win titles. Difference makers are the difference between 10-2 and 12-0. Think of our national title years and the amount of legitimate stars we had on that team. Tommie Frazier was not a 3-star Grand Island kid who TO coached to greatness. He was a huge prep star who everyone recognized as special coming out of high school. The best coach in the country cannot win a national title without those players. TO couldn't and neither can Bo. Owa is the type of difference maker we need. We will not win a national title with classes consistently ranked outside of the top 20. That's just how it is.

Not true at all.

I can't find the link anymore, but another forum had gone back and found national team rankings for pre-Rivals years. The idea that Osborne never had good recruiting classes is just a myth. The classes that contributed to our national titles were mostly highly ranked. But the main point is, difference makers are necessary. Top 100 type players are necessary to make the jump from a very good, 10-2 type team to a national title contender. Guys like Grant Wistrom (HS all-american by just about every publication) are needed, and Owa seems to be one of those guys.

I agree that TO recruited much better than many fans would have you believe, but he wasn't an elite recruiter by the standards that the recruitnics go by. Here is the link you are referring to I think: HuskerPedia - Historical Recruiting Rankings. They only found the SuperPrep rankings, which became Scout.Com in 2002, but if you look at the 5 year averages for the championship years I think you will be surprised. The 5 year recruiting ranking average for 1994 was 18, the 4 year average was 20. The 5 year average for 1995 was 17.6, the four year average was 15. The 5 year average for 1997 was 14.2, the four year average was 13.25. The highest ranking TO had from 1987 to 1997 was 6, that was in 1996.

Thanks for the link. I understand TO was not elite, but even the worst numbers you posted there are considerably higher than Bo's average thus far, which is around 26. More importantly though is that the real difference makers are the ones that win championships. We had great coaches in the 90s, but we still needed a handful of prep all-americans to make us elite. Bo could win the North 90% of the time and still not be quite to national title contender level if he isn't able to get 1-3 elite recruits every season.

What is your definition of an elite recruit? Top 250, 100, 10? Bo got a few in the Top 250 this year and a Top 100 RB.

i'd feel better losing to Oregon State. I don't trust that it came down to our school vs their school. I hope all of UCLA's recruiting was on the up and up. How you can send your son to Ricky as a role model over Bo........... :rollin

Oh the recruiting was on the up and up. The UCLA staff is REALLY good and everyone wants to play for those guys, or so another poster on here told me a few posts back.

Really, everything may have been on the up and up, but I have to say I'm very surprised Mama O would let her son go to fake and plastic L.A. and play for a slime ball like Ricky. It just really surprised me. I could see OSU being close to home, but if he was gonna go any distance at all out of state I thought NU would be more appealing with our midwest lifestyle and values.

In 2006, UCLA ranked 9th nationally in rush defense and 27th in total defense. In 2007, UCLA ranked 14th in rush defense and 29th in total defense. In 2008, Rick the prick's first year, UCLA ranked 81st in total defense. In 2009, UCLA ranked 33rd. These are almost Cosgrove like numbers. I'm not exactly sure where we're getting that Bullough's is a hell of a D coordinator.

In 2006, UCLA ranked 9th nationally in rush defense and 27th in total defense. In 2007, UCLA ranked 14th in rush defense and 29th in total defense. In 2008, Rick the prick's first year, UCLA ranked 81st in total defense. In 2009, UCLA ranked 33rd. These are almost Cosgrove like numbers. I'm not exactly sure where we're getting that Bullough's is a hell of a D coordinator.

I can understand. I lived near L.A. for 2 years. It is a great place to live. It's fall or summer weather year round. The beaches are great and the drive up the PCH is unreal. The Bruins are a solid team. The school is solid academically. He'll be good there.

But he could a been Suh type of special under the Pelini's. Boy oh boy...what coulda been.

Well, now on to the Aaron Green thread for 11. heh heh

A lot of fUCLA talk going on here. I better retire from this thread before the natives turn on me. Peace.

Come on now Bruin...we wouldn't do that to you. Just say you love the Huskers more then the Bruins and do the wild cob for us :corndance and you are golden. But seriously no hate needs to go to UCLA whatsoever. I really hope Owa is great, makes it to the NFL, and provides for his family...he deserves it IMO. If I was Owa...let me tell you it would be tough to turn down going to UCLA. They have some good lookin ladies there.

No doubt about that. My UCLA friends (and my wife, who was a UCLA athlete!) hate it when I say it, but I root for Nebraska if/when they ever play each other. GBR!

You didn't put in the dancing corn guy, so I can't believe anything you say now. Haha just messin man...I bet you aren't looking forward to the Neb/UCLA matchup then. You are probably going to get so much crap from all your friends before the game in 2012.

Its his mistake, Pelini said. Honestly, I dont get all caught up in all that. I dont get all stressed out about whether theyre going to come. If its right, theyre going to come. You can drive yourself crazy over the whole thing. In the end its a crapshoot if hes going to be as good as anyone says he was anyway. I thought he was a pretty good player. But in my mind, the kids that dont choose to come here I dont believe do themselves a service because I believe well develop them better than the other guy. Thats just the confidence I have.

Bo, did you just start watching football today?! What do you mean it's his mistake? Are you saying UCLA isn't a good football program and that Rick is slick? You mean you think he lied to recruits when he told them he'd be there for their entire careers because he is always looking for bigger and better? Oh, not that, you think they'll be in trouble and on double secret probation within 2 years because of Ricky. I understand.

I figured I just as well demean Bo's opinion since that seems like a popular thing today.

[/quote}

Yes it was his mistake, He could of went to play for a Head Coach that is a Defensive Genius that took a almost last place Defense to number One in two years. Let me ask you. How good do you have to be to do that and who else could do it. Instead he choses a program with a weak defenses. I like Bo's attitude. It fits me just fine.

• Fire 1

Wah, wah, wha. Nobody likes me so I think I'll go out in the garden and eat worms. So some kid from Portland went to UCLA big deal.

UCLA has great weather, glitz, and coeds that don't wear parkas and Ugh boots. We have Lincoln in January. We will always be a step behind the good weather schools when it comes to recruiting, thats just how it is. As far as taking a shot at Bo P. its not something I care to do, obviously you don't feel that way.

T_O_B

:bonez