DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

I'll raise the odds from 1% to 5%. I still don't think there's a reasonable chance. This happens all the time. Big name recruit keeps Nebraska on the list until late because of great fans, tradition, etc. But those things almost never trump location and a manipulative (or good, whichever term you prefer) recruiter like Rick Neuheisel. I also don't think it's ever as simple as, "He wants to go to A, his mom/dad/uncle/coach wants him to go to B." I'm sure Owa loves a lot of things about Nebraska football-wise, but in the back of his mind he has never considered them the leader.

For me it goes all the way back to Carlyle Holiday. This was when the online recruiting services were just starting up and everyone was obsessing over Carlyle. He was the option quarterback to lead us back to the promised land. It was down to Notre Dame and us, and the story floating around the forums was that his mom (if I remember correctly) wanted him to go to ND, and he wanted to go to Nebraska. I never bought that it could be that simple. And although I continued to obsess over his recruitment, I always had the feeling that we just weren't really as in it as we all thought. Sure enough, he went to ND. And ever since then, the same type of story repeats itself over and over and over. When we are in the running for an elite recruit (I'm talking Rivals 100) going into the final week before NSD, we end up getting beat 99% of the time.

I know I'm being a bigtime Scrooge here, and I'll gladly eat the crow if he ends up a Husker, but I just don't see anyway to be optimistic here.

1951-xmas-humbug-scrooge.jpg

There is a reason to be optimistic. Owa wouldnt have put us back on his list if it was really between UCLA and Oregon. In all actuality it is between us and Oregon from the things that I have read. We have plenty to offer. When Bo goes into a defensive recruits house and talks to them about Nebraska, they listen.

I'll raise the odds from 1% to 5%. I still don't think there's a reasonable chance. This happens all the time. Big name recruit keeps Nebraska on the list until late because of great fans, tradition, etc. But those things almost never trump location and a manipulative (or good, whichever term you prefer) recruiter like Rick Neuheisel. I also don't think it's ever as simple as, "He wants to go to A, his mom/dad/uncle/coach wants him to go to B." I'm sure Owa loves a lot of things about Nebraska football-wise, but in the back of his mind he has never considered them the leader.

For me it goes all the way back to Carlyle Holiday. This was when the online recruiting services were just starting up and everyone was obsessing over Carlyle. He was the option quarterback to lead us back to the promised land. It was down to Notre Dame and us, and the story floating around the forums was that his mom (if I remember correctly) wanted him to go to ND, and he wanted to go to Nebraska. I never bought that it could be that simple. And although I continued to obsess over his recruitment, I always had the feeling that we just weren't really as in it as we all thought. Sure enough, he went to ND. And ever since then, the same type of story repeats itself over and over and over. When we are in the running for an elite recruit (I'm talking Rivals 100) going into the final week before NSD, we end up getting beat 99% of the time.

I know I'm being a bigtime Scrooge here, and I'll gladly eat the crow if he ends up a Husker, but I just don't see anyway to be optimistic here.

I can certainly understand your frustration over the years, but dude, 5%??? You can't be serious. And remember that the rise of the online recruiting services has coincided with a historically bad period for Nebraska football. So let's wait to see how things play out over the next few years with Bo bringing NU back to national prominence before we give up all hope on big time recruits. Notice that this staff is doing an unbelievable job with the elite 2011 recruits already.

I hate to mention this, but BC won a lot of recruiting battles. If we are just talking about the battle for high school stars he did a pretty decent job. I know what you mean though with the fact that it is very hard to not get emotionally attached in recruiting, especially in long drawn out battles like this one has been. I'm also an Illinois basketball fan and we had a huge battle with FL and KU over Bradley Beal recently and we lost. It hurts. Owa will pry sting even more cause this kid is soooo awesome! I'm going to stay positive though. EZ-E and the rest of the recruiting fanatics are keeping my hopes way high on this one.

Rivals has a short article about Owa's in-home visit with Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

The rest of that is premium info wacko.gif

Summary of the article,

Owa's mom met Kelly for the first time on the in home, likes UCLA's academics and Nebraska's defense. What we already knew was his mom will play a big role in the decision, it will come down to which school feels like the best fit.

The other thing I found interesting in the article was that Neuheisel won't take part in Owa's in-home visit. UCLA is sending secondary coach Tim Hundley and defensive line coach Todd Howard, but no Neuheisel. That's really surprising, and probably a big mistake on UCLA's part. Maybe Slick Rick doesn't think they have a real shot. But still you'd expect a coach to jump at one last opportunity to sit in an elite recruit's living room with his mom and try to change his/their mind.

EZ-E and the rest of the recruiting fanatics are keeping my hopes way high on this one.

Dont let anyone fool you here. We have a great chance at him. The in home visit with Bo Pelini could be a huge turning point either way.

I have a feeling that any human being is going to like Bo Pelini better than Rick Neuhisel or however you spell that idiot's name.

EZ-E and the rest of the recruiting fanatics are keeping my hopes way high on this one.

Dont let anyone fool you here. We have a great chance at him. The in home visit with Bo Pelini could be a huge turning point either way.

I have a feeling that any human being is going to like Bo Pelini better than Rick Neuhisel or however you spell that idiot's name.

As HuskerBruin already stated, Neuheisel won't be there tonight. He's sending his assistants instead.

As HuskerBruin already stated, Neuheisel won't be there tonight. He's sending his assistants instead.

We posted at the same time. Was going to go back and edit mine but I was too lazy to do it at the moment.

Interesting that they are not sending Rick.

wow shows how bad this guy wants him.........

We posted at the same time. Was going to go back and edit mine but I was too lazy to do it at the moment.

Interesting that they are not sending Rick.

No excuses. Get with the program EZ-E. :sarcasm

Rivals has a short article about Owa's in-home visit with Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

Summary of the article,

Owa's mom met Kelly for the first time on the in home, likes UCLA's academics and Nebraska's defense. What we already knew was his mom will play a big role in the decision, it will come down to which school feels like the best fit.

The other thing I found interesting in the article was that Neuheisel won't take part in Owa's in-home visit. UCLA is sending secondary coach Tim Hundley and defensive line coach Todd Howard, but no Neuheisel. That's really surprising, and probably a big mistake on UCLA's part. Maybe Slick Rick doesn't think they have a real shot. But still you'd expect a coach to jump at one last opportunity to sit in an elite recruit's living room with his mom and try to change his/their mind.

I just think it is hilarious that even the Bruin fans call him that.

Summary of the article,

Well I grew up a Husker fan in Lincoln, so I'll never be able to forget his Buffs years. But my college buddies from UCLA now call him that too. :cheers

Summary of the article,

Well I grew up a Husker fan in Lincoln, so I'll never be able to forget his Buffs years. But my college buddies from UCLA now call him that too. :cheers

That there is some quality work Bruin!

Summary of the article,

Neuheisal used his 1 in home for Owa back before Christmas, that's why he's not a part of this one.

Summary of the article,

Neuheisal used his 1 in home for Owa back before Christmas, that's why he's not a part of this one.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.