DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

I'll raise the odds from 1% to 5%. I still don't think there's a reasonable chance. This happens all the time. Big name recruit keeps Nebraska on the list until late because of great fans, tradition, etc. But those things almost never trump location and a manipulative (or good, whichever term you prefer) recruiter like Rick Neuheisel. I also don't think it's ever as simple as, "He wants to go to A, his mom/dad/uncle/coach wants him to go to B." I'm sure Owa loves a lot of things about Nebraska football-wise, but in the back of his mind he has never considered them the leader.

For me it goes all the way back to Carlyle Holiday. This was when the online recruiting services were just starting up and everyone was obsessing over Carlyle. He was the option quarterback to lead us back to the promised land. It was down to Notre Dame and us, and the story floating around the forums was that his mom (if I remember correctly) wanted him to go to ND, and he wanted to go to Nebraska. I never bought that it could be that simple. And although I continued to obsess over his recruitment, I always had the feeling that we just weren't really as in it as we all thought. Sure enough, he went to ND. And ever since then, the same type of story repeats itself over and over and over. When we are in the running for an elite recruit (I'm talking Rivals 100) going into the final week before NSD, we end up getting beat 99% of the time.

I know I'm being a bigtime Scrooge here, and I'll gladly eat the crow if he ends up a Husker, but I just don't see anyway to be optimistic here.

1951-xmas-humbug-scrooge.jpg

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Reggie Smith, Haloti Ngata, Travis Lewis, etc. with none of them picking the Huskers. I am cautiously optimistic about this situation. I don't expect him to sign here, but will be happy if he does choose the Big Red. I think Suh coming from Portland and having all the success here and becoming larger than life is a huge selling point. But it is hard to compete with sunshine and girls in shorts and skirts all year. We'll see, it's definitely been interesting.

Ya I agree that I feel pretty burned by the late recruiting pushes we have tried to make in the last handful of years. On top of the ones just mentioned guys like Devin Ross, Jonas Mouton, AJ Wallace, JB Walton, Perrish Cox, Shareece Wright, Charles Deas, Rulon Davis, David Ross and Chris Perry. With that said, I also stated in another post that Pelini has done a much better job at sealing the deal late in the process in just his two years than Callahan did in his four. In just the last two years Pelini has gotten PJ Smith, Dennard, Burkhead, Compton, Meredith, and Ankrah pretty late in the process. I think a lot of that is just his defensive background, but I also think that when he goes into the homes parents sense a realness about him and know that their son will be taken care of during his time here. I think when Cally got in front of them parents felt the complete opposite and maybe saw that he wasn't as genuine and didn't care a ton for them as a person. I do remain pretty optomistic that we will nab Owa.

FWIW, Jeremy Crabtree thinks it's between UCLA and Nebraska at this point.

When did he say that? I normally dont miss a word out of that guy's mouth when it comes to NU recruiting. I missed out on that one.

I heard he(Crabtree) is suppose to be on 1620(USC) after 4:00 pm CST today.

I wonder if him eliminating Oregon would increase someone's 5% chance that he comes here. :)

When did he say that? I normally dont miss a word out of that guy's mouth when it comes to NU recruiting. I missed out on that one.

I heard he(Crabtree) is suppose to be on 1620(USC) after 4:00 pm CST today.

I am very interested with what Crabtree has to say about Owa and Cooper tonight. Last week Crabby has some very positive remarks when it came to Owa and NU

It was in the national chat from earlier today.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2208&tid=138691572&mid=138691572&sid=880&style=2

He said he's gathering that from comments in San Antonio and from people who talk to him frequently.

It was in the national chat from earlier today.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2208&tid=138691572&mid=138691572&sid=880&style=2

He said he's gathering that from comments in San Antonio and from people who talk to him frequently.

READ MY WHOLE POST BEFORE GETTING EXCITED PEOPLE.

IF CRABTREE IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE and it really is between UCLA and Nebraska, then I fully expect Owamagbe Odighizuwa to be in red.

IF CRABTREE IS RIGHT that means his mom has completely changed her tune and told her son to do what is best for him. IF CRABTREE IS RIGHT that means it is completely up to Owa. It is no secret that he said it would be NU if it was completely up to him. IF CRABTREE IS RIGHT UCLA used up their visit with their HC and we are the only school left with our HC card still on the table and we will play that card and JP Carl and Bo will be doing their damnedest (I made up that word) to bring him N.

Take that FWIW, but IF CRABTREE IS RIGHT I really think that we are going to be tough to beat.

• Fire 2

Here's the direct quote from Crabtree's discussion of Owa this morning. This Q&A follows up on Crabtree's earlier statement that it is down to UCLA and Nebraska from what he's heard:

Q: "Jeremy do you care to explain any more on the Owa situation. I know there is no definate answer to anything but I believe most Husker and Oregon fans thought they were the 2 leaders. Thanks."

Crabtree: "All I keep hearing is that it's Nebraska and UCLA and that's what he was also telling people all over the place in San Antonio. Things change for sure, as if you asked me a month ago where I thought he was ending up at, I'd say Cal. He's having a hard time with this situation, and it's definitely a difficult choice, but those that talk to him on a daily basis firmly believe it's those two that lead, but has Owa come out and said that, no. Nor, do I expect him to since it's such a fluid situation."

Sounds like the last quote was from San Antonio which was 12 days ago and since then, he (Owa) has eliminated USC and OSU for sure. They other part seems to sound like he is just hearing a lot of chatter from UO and NU fans.

Here's the direct quote from Crabtree's discussion of Owa this morning. This Q&A follows up on Crabtree's earlier statement that it is down to UCLA and Nebraska from what he's heard:

Q: "Jeremy do you care to explain any more on the Owa situation. I know there is no definate answer to anything but I believe most Husker and Oregon fans thought they were the 2 leaders. Thanks."

Crabtree: "All I keep hearing is that it's Nebraska and UCLA and that's what he was also telling people all over the place in San Antonio. Things change for sure, as if you asked me a month ago where I thought he was ending up at, I'd say Cal. He's having a hard time with this situation, and it's definitely a difficult choice, but those that talk to him on a daily basis firmly believe it's those two that lead, but has Owa come out and said that, no. Nor, do I expect him to since it's such a fluid situation."

Sounds like the last quote was from San Antonio which was 12 days ago and since then, he (Owa) has eliminated USC and OSU for sure. They other part seems to sound like he is just hearing a lot of chatter from UO and NU fans.

Crabtree says he was telling everyone in San Antonio that it was UCLA or Nebrask but then says, "Has he come out and said that, no." Contradicting himself in the same post.

Crabtree says he was telling everyone in San Antonio that it was UCLA or Nebrask but then says, "Has he come out and said that, no." Contradicting himself in the same post.

I think Crabtree was saying that Owa was telling everyone off record at the AA game that it's down to UCLA and Nebraska. But Owa hasn't come out and said that publicly. Perhaps that's because he doesn't want to publicly shoot down the "hometown" team just yet? Who knows. But I really don't think Crabtree was contradicting himself here.