Fox Sports says Big 12 expansion

They should get rid of Baylor and replace with TCU. Also get rid of Iowa St. and put in Colorado St. This is all fantasy but if a change had to be made thats what I would do.

Ditto on TCU. Baylor should never have made it in to the Big12. As for Colo. St. I just don't think the univ. is big enough, or their teams good enough to hang with a Big12 schedule. I would rather see the conference pilfer Iowa from the Big 11. They have a spare team anyway. If not them, then Utah would be a good pickup. Hell, they should be Nat. Champs in football this year!

I don't know why people are always so quick to dump Baylor. Baylor is not good at football but have good histories in basketball (both mens and womens), baseball, track, tennis, soccer and cross country. TCU also has good histories in many sports and would be ok to bring in but people are too quick to judge Baylor solely based on football. For Instance Colorado, who's only main achievement is in skiing where only they compete is a MUCH weaker candidtate than Baylor in the competition categories. Their football program is mediocre, they have a horrible basketball program (nearly as bad as us) and have NO baseball team at all.

Yeah Baylor is going to be good so the Big 12 should keep them. Add TCU and and kick Colorado or Iowa state out :dumdum . But I don't know about adding Housten. Then there would be 6 Texas schools in the big 12

1620 had a conversation a while ago saying that most likely, it would be TCU or Arkansas. I dont know, I think it eventually will be east and west to even out the conference divisions

both are legacy SWC schools, so that makes sense. i'm surprised no-one has mentioned SMU. great tradition, though it's been a generation since they've really done anything noteworthy.

and to be fair, that's they're own fault: if there was ever a team that deserved to get nuked by the NCAA, SMU was it after all the stunts they pulled in recruiting. it was a classic case of too many alumni with too much money and way too little common sense when it came to dealing with players.

if they were ever brought into the big xii, they'd have to be watched like a hawk.

bottom line, it seem like any scenario that we generate come back to the same thing: the return of the Big 8 and smaller Southwestern conference. for all intents and purposes, there would be guaranteed games against legacy rivals with rotating yearly games between different northern/southern schools and a championship game.

would this diminish the north even further? probably. but is it fun to speculate on a potential super-conference? definitely!

Ain't gonna happen... Why would we? No reason...

the only school in the north that would 'gain' from any of this would be oklahoma. they would go back to being the default lords of the north.

they're closest to texas and have a history of being able to pull recuits out of state. additionally, it minimizes their chances of a national championship being spoiled by one of the texas schools.

and the 'red river rivalry'? i suspect they'd kill that in a heartbeat just like they walked away from yearly nebraska games in the late 90s when the big xii was formed. if i'm not mistaken, nebraska floated the idea of preserving the yearly november game just as michigan and ohio state have done.

okalahoma said to the cornhuskers what basically amounted to, "we just aren't that into you" and opted for a yearly game with texas. back then, nebraska was the 800lbs gorilla of the conference and the sooners just weren't that good.

now that they have the established pipeline to texas and nebraska no-where NEAR being the beast programs that it once was, i suspect that oklahoma would get all nostalgic over the prospect of playing the cornhuskers yearly as they'd have the advantage now.

executive summary: sooners are weasels.

housten?

...executive summary: sooners are weasels.

hack!, don't discourage the sooners! Weaseling out of things is important to learn.

It's what separates us from the animals!

Except the weasel. -- Homer Simpson

The SEC has 14 teams don't they?

SEC:

12...but they do seem to recruit for at least 14... <_<

Alabama red soap

Arkansas pigs

Auburn Tiggers

Florida crocs

Georgia Bullfighters

Kentucky mildcats

LSU Tiggers

Mississippi old misses

Mississippi State Bullfrogs

South Carolina c&#036;%ks

Tennessee Volunteeeers

Vanderbilt (Brick HOUUUSE) Commodores

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Thanks I needed that..

I think it's getting to be important to learn new languages and words...Or at least be able to make up new forien words if you lack the proper education..

but housten? :clap

We have a spellin' problem.

Houston_20We_20have_20a_20Problem...._small.jpg

I think I remember reading that the Big 12 Conference already had the copyright to the phrase Big 14. Adding OU and Okie State to the North sounds good to me.

With all the rage to get faster/leaner...Why not do away with the "Big" and go with "Sweet 16"..Give us room to grow...

Ain't gonna happen... Why would we? No reason...

the only school in the north that would 'gain' from any of this would be oklahoma. they would go back to being the default lords of the north.

they're closest to texas and have a history of being able to pull recuits out of state. additionally, it minimizes their chances of a national championship being spoiled by one of the texas schools.

and the 'red river rivalry'? i suspect they'd kill that in a heartbeat just like they walked away from yearly nebraska games in the late 90s when the big xii was formed. if i'm not mistaken, nebraska floated the idea of preserving the yearly november game just as michigan and ohio state have done.

okalahoma said to the cornhuskers what basically amounted to, "we just aren't that into you" and opted for a yearly game with texas. back then, nebraska was the 800lbs gorilla of the conference and the sooners just weren't that good.

now that they have the established pipeline to texas and nebraska no-where NEAR being the beast programs that it once was, i suspect that oklahoma would get all nostalgic over the prospect of playing the cornhuskers yearly as they'd have the advantage now.

executive summary: sooners are weasels.

I don't think we're nowhere near. We ain't that bad :nanalama

Sooners are weasels.

/signed

The SEC has 14 teams don't they?

Actually, I think the biggest conference right now is the MAC at 13. I could be wrong.

The problem with expansion is that the conference need more northern power. The only teams that seem to fit the Big 12 profile (size, tradition, geography) in the north are IMO.

Colorado State (not a strong add)

Wyoming (see above)

Arkansas (probaly an excellent fit but more likely a southern conf team)

Norte Dame (I always thought they would be a good fit but the fighting anacronisms would never yeild their special place as the de facto kings of college football)

To me it would seem like anyone else would be a big stretch.

So......if they are to expand, it would only seem logical it would have to be with southern (read as Texas) teams hopefully with a realignment of the Oklahoma schools to the north. Which would largely solve the underlying problem of a weak north division and probably help the big boys of the south by easeing their in division schedule.

having said all that...............NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the Big 12 needs to do is think outside the box. Here's my proposal....

Instead of having this silly North/South thing (which is stupid anyway) they change it to East/West. All the teams located to the West of the Missouri River would be in the Western Conference and all the teams located to the East of the Missouri River would be in the Eastern Conference...then at the end of the year, the champion from the Western Conference...who would be beat all to holy hell from playing each other...would play Iowa State (the automatic, and well-rested, champion from the Eastern Conference) for the Conference Championship...Simple!

Or...just do away with this conference crap altogether and have all 12 teams play head-to-head with one bye week instead of scheduling all those weakling, stat-padding MAC and WAC teams to pummel every year in order to become "bowl eligible" (a phrase that needs to be shoved sideways up someone's nether regions by the way...I almost puke everytime I hear it).

"Oooh...we beat Cupcake State, Northern Hawaii Girl School, Parapleagic University and the Glenwood State Hospital School...all we have to do is win two more games and then we're Bowl Eligible!!!"... <_<

The more likely scenario to me would be that either Missouri leaves (via Big 10), or Colorado (to the Pac 10, as they seem to think their not part of the midwest/plains anyway) neccessitating the addition of a team to fill the vaid which could also lead to realignment.