Helu up to 222!

actually he was listed at 207 at the end of last season and 198 at the beginning of last season.

you can easily gain weight and increase speed. you cant get chubby and gain speed, but if you have the proper diet and weight training you will put on the right kind of weight (muscle) and you should become faster. considering he is an iback i would assume that he does a lot more work on his legs than anything and it is very easy to pack an extra 10 lbs of muscle onto your legs. i personally know this because when i was in HS i went from being 180 lbs to 210 lbs in a matter of a year and a half and became much quicker when running track.....it can be done and im sure he had better trainers than did i....

up to 222 lbs after starting last season in august at 198! says he is faster and much stronger! if he keeps this up we might not even need Q any more...

We definitely not only will need Q next year, but we want him. He is a great back and we don't want to be with out him.

I am assuming, though, that you comment was meant in praise of Helu, not negatively toward Castille.

up to 222 lbs after starting last season in august at 198! says he is faster and much stronger! if he keeps this up we might not even need Q any more...

We definitely not only will need Q next year, but we want him. He is a great back and we don't want to be with out him.

I am assuming, though, that you comment was meant in praise of Helu, not negatively toward Castille.

guess i should have put in a :sarcasm ?

it was merely meant as a joke because Helu is getting bigger and Q is considered the bruiser back but at this rate Helu is gonna be bigger than Q....

Is that healthy to add that much in that little of time on that size frame? How can someone be 24 lbs heavier and be faster?

Newton's 2nd law doesn't agree with this "bigger and faster" thing. If Force=Mass X Acceleration, and Mass goes up, Acceleration must go down!

Unless of course the added Mass leades to added Acceleration.

In which, we now have more Mass, more Acceleration.

And more Force!

And oh yeah...more touchdowns, brocken tackles, YAC, wins, etc.

HELU!

Did you read your post?? If Mass goes up it doesn't mean Acceleration will go down because Force may go up. Your solution works if you keep Force constant. Anyways, just couldn't let that go.

Is that healthy to add that much in that little of time on that size frame? How can someone be 24 lbs heavier and be faster?

Newton's 2nd law doesn't agree with this "bigger and faster" thing. If Force=Mass X Acceleration, and Mass goes up, Acceleration must go down!

Unless of course the added Mass leades to added Acceleration.

In which, we now have more Mass, more Acceleration.

And more Force!

And oh yeah...more touchdowns, brocken tackles, YAC, wins, etc.

HELU!

Did you read your post?? If Mass goes up it doesn't mean Acceleration will go down because Force may go up. Your solution works if you keep Force constant. Anyways, just couldn't let that go.

Damn, now we're a bunch of armchair Isaac Newtons eh? Let's all stick with pretending to know our football. Cause physics, I'm sure, is not this boards strong suit.

but we are STILL lacking that big play, take-it-to-the-house-back. quick and shifty is good for decent runs, but we don't have that shifty, speed burner who can go all the way. we need that threat at running back.

I would agree for the most part, because we had a few good runs this past year that went to house from 25+ yards, but definitely not enough of them. If you notice, our backs have an easy time of making it into the secondary but then get caught by the corners and safeties. Helu said in the spring practice conference that he has gotten faster, and I'm sure Q has as well, so hopefully we will have that threat for the upcoming year.

Time to get us another Heisman running back :clap

but we are STILL lacking that big play, take-it-to-the-house-back. quick and shifty is good for decent runs, but we don't have that shifty, speed burner who can go all the way. we need that threat at running back.

I would agree for the most part, because we had a few good runs this past year that went to house from 25+ yards, but definitely not enough of them. If you notice, our backs have an easy time of making it into the secondary but then get caught by the corners and safeties. Helu said in the spring practice conference that he has gotten faster, and I'm sure Q has as well, so hopefully we will have that threat for the upcoming year.

I agree. We haven't seen a home run back in awhile. Helu and Castille are both good at getting the intermediate yards (Helu with a quick cut and Castille with train wreck contact), but the guy who can simply outrun everyone on defense is missing. Maybe Burkhead is that guy. Mendoza has the speed to take it all the way, but now he plays a different position. Maybe we'll get lucky and the downfield blocking on the edges will improve so much that there just won't be anyone there, giving Helu/Q a head start. :)

I agree. We haven't seen a home run back in awhile. Helu and Castille are both good at getting the intermediate yards (Helu with a quick cut and Castille with train wreck contact), but the guy who can simply outrun everyone on defense is missing. Maybe Burkhead is that guy. Mendoza has the speed to take it all the way, but now he plays a different position. Maybe we'll get lucky and the downfield blocking on the edges will improve so much that there just won't be anyone there, giving Helu/Q a head start. :)

Actually, both Castille and Helu can break big runs --- sure, neither is a burner, but both are able to hit the home run occasionally. I understand that Okafor is quite fast and that he is the fastest back (now that Mendoza has moved). As for Burkhead, who knows?

Overall though, our backs are pretty good. No complaints here.

Pelini doesn't think it's slowed him down any:

Pelini: Helu's looked tremendous

A guy gains a little weight and it’s all the talk. So it goes for Roy Helu, who showed up to spring football looking more Hulkish, toting 222 pounds, 15 more than he had at the end of last season.

For any Husker backers worried the extra bulk might slow the running back and take the hurdling out of his game, the words of Bo Pelini after Saturday’s practice should ease concern.

The Husker head coach was heavy on praise for Helu, saying he has looked tremendous through three spring practices.

“He’s really picked up where he left off,” Pelini said. “I think he’s bigger, he’s faster. I think he’s feeling good. He looks like he’s smaller and he’s actually carrying more weight. Obviously the strength staff did a tremendous job and you got to give credit to Roy. He worked his tail off and it’s paying off for him.”

Coming off a team-best 803 rushing yards as a sophomore last year, Helu recently ran the fastest sprint time he’s had at NU.

“He looks pretty special,” Pelini said.

Pelini seems to like the 1-2 punch he has developing with Helu and fellow junior Quentin Castille, coming off a career-high 125 yards in Nebraska’s Gator Bowl win.

“Quentin looks good, he looks fast,” Pelini said. “I like our backs.”