Ekeler under fire for recruiting violation

Last week, Tom Osborne left his third-floor office and took one flight of stairs down to the football floor. Nebraska’s athletic director had asked Bo Pelini, the Huskers’ head coach, for some time to address his staff.

Osborne went into the room carrying the look of a man with a serious message, and he delivered it in his usual calm, measured manner.

He said that another Big 12 school had written the NCAA about Nebraska’s apparent violation of a rather obscure rule involving extra recruiting enticements.

“The allegation involves Mike Ekeler wearing a tattoo to entice Will Compton to come to Nebraska,” Osborne said, “and, unfortunately, because of that tattoo on his arm, it looks like we will have NCAA sanctions against us when the investigation is complete. The way I understand it, it looks like Mike will be off the road for a year recruiting, and it looks like Will is going to be ineligible to play this year.”

Osborne took no pleasure in making that announcement. There was concern in his face and compassion in his voice. The room went quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Ekeler finally said, breaking the ice.

The room went even more silent. Then, Ron Brown, Nebraska’s veteran receivers coach, went over to Ekeler, the Huskers’ rookie linebackers coach, and put his arm around him.

“I’ve been through this before,” Brown told Ekeler, patting his back. “I think you’re going to be okay.”

Then Brown smiled. Then Osborne smiled. Then together, they released the healthy chuckles that had been hiding behind their grim faces. When the chuckles turned to laughter, the whole room full of coaches knew they’d been had.

There's plenty more here: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...;ATCLID=3716925

I loved that article...one of the best I have seen in a long time. This is the kind of comic relief we need - instead of hearing about a group of players at a party doing something stupid like wearing women's volleyball uniforms or something like that while they are drunk and shooting off their mouth about how great they are.