Niles Paul got a DUI??

While I don't condone the action, I think it has to be dealt with responsibly also. I don't take DUI lightly, but it isn't a capital offense either. I know that was not the intention of other users and they probably should have used the :sarcasm.

I think Bo will deal with this issue, with Osborne watching...therefore I am sure it will be dealt with in an appropriate manner. I also know that the legal system will deal with it, and that may be the harshest of punishments, as who ever the judge is will probably set out to make an example of him, as well as educate him of his wrong doing.

I would think he will probably be put on some sort of probation with the team, where as if he gets in anymore trouble after this, he could be kicked off the team.

Before we jump at conclusions let's let the legal system do it's thing, and the University do theirs. Then we can comment with some knowledge here about the situation.

If you've lost someone to a drunk driver then I'm really sorry. But the fact is that you can drive with alcohol in your system and still be a perfectly safe driver. I know that's not popular opinion, but it's true. Most alcohol-related accidents happen when the offender is completely hammered and has no business being behind the wheel. Since we have no idea how much alcohol was in Paul's system, we should refrain from making any bold statements at this point.

We can all agree that for him to be doing any of this was not smart for his sake, and he should have arranged his night to have a sober driver or take a cab. But let's not immediately group him in with wreckless drunks who kill people.

I have lost two family members to drunk drivers.

My brother at 19, it killed him his fiancee and basically my mother from depression a year later.

My grandmother ran over in the street.

Both by 19 and 20 year old kids. Neither hurt, or barely, no jail time, no criminal action. Just too bad.

Things are changing. There is outrage at the action now.

To defend it is stupidity.

We have had several instances of this within this program, under BC and Bo. Some one needs to take a closer look I think. We as a society need to take a closer look. This is like taking a loaded shotgun into a department store and shooting it when you are drunk. The only difference is the size of the projectal.

I have a very close friend, a Doctor in Temecula that lost everything due to his wife driving drunk. You guys are pretty sheltered in Nebraska, but death from drunk driving is on display in California on a daily basis it seems. No matter the population the end does not justify the means. Someone somehow has to get to these kids, not just our football players, and make them understand the consequences.

He did the crime, he knew it was wrong. Pay for it, and pay for it with blood (passion/football)

I know that there have been many things that players have done that really make you wonder but this is really as incomprehensible thing that I have seen in a while.

:yeah

Lots of bad judgment here. You choose to drive with a suspended license. You choose to drink and then drive. You choose to speed. And anyone know how old he is?

And once your license gets suspended, don't you find someone to drive your ass around? Or just f'ing walk.

I know that there have been many things that players have done that really make you wonder but this is really as incomprehensible thing that I have seen in a while.

Lots of bad judgment here. You choose to drive with a suspended license. You choose to drink and then drive. You choose to speed. And anyone know how old he is?

And once your license gets suspended, don't you find someone to drive your ass around? Or just f'ing walk.

19 yrs old

Sorry for your losses, but every case is not the same. Paul didn't hurt anyone and we don't even know how much alcohol was in his system. He wasn't being very smart, of course, given all the circumstances. But let's wait until the BAC is released before scheduling the crucifixion.

I think the worst hurt is the thought that it was just an accident, nothing meant by it. It is just swept under the rug, the kid goes on with little problems from it. The families endure it their life time. My brother died on January 13 1969, and I can remember every second of it like it was this morning.

It is not an accident. It is like putting bullets into a gun and shooting it randomly. It is murder with a larger projectal.

If you operated a gun like you operate a vehicle what would the action be?

Really not much difference.

I know he did not hurt anyone, but he could have, and most likley will if he gets by with a slap on the wrist.

These are serious allegations. It shows a complete lack of respect for law, team and the University. Things that I am sure he would not have done had had he not been under the influence.

But to say it is not important is so far from right it is sickening.

This is very serious but I bet he comes back. If he had killed someone, hit someone, or even endangered someones life it would be much different. But none of that happen so I bet he comes back. I think Bo is doing the right thing keeping him out of the spring and talking to him. But 53 on a 45?! That cop must have been really bored to pull him over or like lilred said he must have been swerving.

Sorry for your losses though skersfan

Thanks Jen,

A friend of mine lost his wife and three children about six months ago to a drunk driver, 35 years old, driving on suspended lifetime license. His second fatality accident. No one can ever begin to fathom the loss, and I have to deal with every single time I see him. He is not recovering in any way. He just lost his job because he can not work through it. This is one of the most devastating things that happens every single day in our country. We have to stop overlooking it.

The cop saw reason. Maybe no lights, maybe swerving, but you totally miss the point.

He did wrong. He is not a saint. If he was at KState you would have him in jail or worse.

Far too many kids that know him for him to walk away from it unscathed. Bo will have to make him the center of this. He is going to have make a point of his actions and the ramifications of them.

It would not surprise me to see him set this year. I honestly would not have a problem with it. Actually would encourage it. There are things far more important than Nebraska winning football games. Learning this lesson is one.

It seems we have far more of this going on than any other major program. But I am not on their forums so who knows it may be rampant everywhere. I follow SC pretty closely and hardly ever hear of problems, not saying there are not, but they are pretty much the center of the Universe after basketball season here. If they are screwing up the news would be covering it I am sure.

Trying to go beyond the disciplinary structure of the law and the team to make an example out of Niles Paul (as far as I know, a first time offender and a good student) is wrong. To date, outside of a little punt return fumblitis, you can't say anything bad about this kid. Now all of the sudden he needs to be publicly stoned to set an example for the university? That's not his job.

If the leniency surrounding drunk driving laws is the problem, let's keep that the problem. Let's not make Niles Paul the poster boy for Hunter Teafatillering drunken driving. I'm certainly sympathetic to the losses mentioned, as I've experienced more of it throughout my young life than I care to discuss....but vilifying this kid as a form of prevention, is simply not fair. Many of us know better, but still end up making bad choices periodically. Some of those choices can be more destructive than others, but the law deals with outcome and intent...not possibilities.

The punishment should fit the crime. The crime was underage drinking and driving...and 8 mph over the posted speed limit. Niles will have to deal with his state/county officials, as well as his team's officials. Why should he be punished beyond what rules are already set in place for this offense?

For the record, if he was at K-State....he should be in jail anyway. :koolaid2:

Trying to go beyond the disciplinary structure of the law and the team to make an example out of Niles Paul (as far as I know, a first time offender and a good student) is wrong. To date, outside of a little punt return fumblitis, you can't say anything bad about this kid. Now all of the sudden he needs to be publicly stoned to set an example for the university? That's not his job.

If the leniency surrounding drunk driving laws is the problem, let's keep that the problem. Let's not make Niles Paul the poster boy for Hunter Teafatillering drunken driving. I'm certainly sympathetic to the losses mentioned, as I've experienced more of it throughout my young life than I care to discuss....but vilifying this kid as a form of prevention, is simply not fair. Many of us know better, but still end up making bad choices periodically. Some of those choices can be more destructive than others, but the law deals with outcome and intent...not possibilities.

The punishment should fit the crime. The crime was underage drinking and driving...and 8 mph over the posted speed limit. Niles will have to deal with his state/county officials, as well as his team's officials. Why should he be punished beyond what rules are already set in place for this offense?

For the record, if he was at K-State....he should be in jail anyway. :koolaid2:

Our list of this goes back for quite awhile.

Teat was one, Purify another , Rigoni if I remember correctly. Christensen last year. Too many for it be overlooked. We recruited a kid that had the same problem, I do not remember if he got the scholly or not.

He has been warned since day one by this staff that it would not be tolerated. He has ignored the warnings and that in itself calls for stricter punishment. He or anyone else should be made an example of, they need to know where they are headed.

I trust Bo will do the right thing. But hopes are it is a lot more devasting than missing the spring game or two mean nothing games. He has hurt the team, he needs to hurt for it. In so doing may hurt the team more, but that is what team is about. Doing the best you can do for your team at all times, not just on the field. He has failed miserably off the field it appears.