Niles Paul got a DUI??

Sorry for your losses, but every case is not the same. Paul didn't hurt anyone and we don't even know how much alcohol was in his system. He wasn't being very smart, of course, given all the circumstances. But let's wait until the BAC is released before scheduling the crucifixion.

KICK NILES OFF THE TEAM.

I dont agree. Respect your opinion though.

:yeah

The University has a program in place where a student can call and get a free taxi ride back to the dorms (not sure if Paul lives in the dorms), just by calling 475-RIDE.

What a shame, hopefully he learns from it and does the best he can to rebound.

Happy Cop says: If you get pulled over going 62 mph in a 60 mph zone, you should be arrested, forced to lose your job and made an example out of for the community. Speed kills and it's against the law....statistically, it's a factor in nearly all fatal motor vehicle accidents.

But luckily I don't have to worry about that with you fine folks, because since you were teenagers, you've respected the law and haven't made any mistakes at all.

Thank goodness!

:cop:

:laughpound:laughpound

Awesome comment.

So wait, just because he was lucky enough not to kill someone, it isn't a big deal? KICK NILES OFF THE TEAM.

You can NOT suspend him for the season or kick him off the team. You can’t because Bo would lose a lot of credibility if he did that because of the way he handled the other player situations from the previous year. When did anyone say it wasn’t a big deal?

On top of all of that their would certainly be media backlash because you just suspended an african american player for 2 games to a season just a year after you suspended a white player for only 1 game!

Christensen suspended but not released from Scholarship, Teafatiller one game, Ben Cotton NOTHING, Mike Smith/Ben Martin/Nick Covey nothing, Glenn got the boot but not for getting arrested, Kevin Dixon got the boot but not for getting arrested. Now if the hammer throwers had their way Paul would be the first player that was actually charged with a crime to get booted off the team by Pelini. Why just to prove a point? That doesn’t fly when the people before that got in trouble for alcohol related crimes got either a slap on the wrist or a suspension.

Like I have said before and will continue to say it, punish Niles Paul accordingly using the standard set before, which would mean the rest of Spring and game #1 next year. You can’t punish him for “what could have happened”, you can’t. If we did that we would all be in major trouble.

I wonder if it was a walk on from Cozad that never has a chance of playing, what the bleeding hearts would be saying. I doubt more than 10 posts as it filtered its way to the bottom.

If you ask me if this was a walk on from Cozad that didn’t have a chance to play it wouldn’t be in the news and saying people only care because it is Nile Paul is a little skewed and could be used by both sides of this argument. The “kick him off now” crowd wouldn’t be beating their drums as loud if it was some unknown walk on either.

Why do these kids continue to do this crap?! I shouldn't be surprised to hear this about once or twice a year, but I always am. :wacko:

Look at the word I bolded and put into blue and there's your answer.

Again, DWI is a big deal but last time I looked we dont judge others so unmercifully! He screwed up and yes he threw himself under the bus! Thank God nothing bad happened and he deserves to be punished!

As a professional who works with this kind of thing, I recommend Bo doing what he is doing plus taking some other avenues (assessment, therapy if necessary, and abstinence).

If he messed up again he should be gone!

Exactly. Let him redshirt and if he makes the right moves, he plays next year. If not too bad.

Bo may have made a mistake last year with Teaf, but after the bar ban last year I expect a tougher road to Hoe for Mr. Paul. That obviously did not get the point accross. Christenson is a whole new deal that will be considered is my guess.

Trust me guys if this was happening at Colorado, Missouri or KState your ideas would be different.

I have sent a letter to Coach Osborne and Coach Pelini, to ask for fair treatment of Niles. But I want to see fair treatment for the University. Our drinking problem series is cause for alarm to the outsider and causes more problems down the road.

I got an email from my boss this morning. Looks like Nebraska is on the rise, they are getting their criminals back in the ranks. I know he is just yanking my chain, but those feelings will be out there if this is not handled correctly.

Embarassing to say the least.

i disagree, because it has happened and is happening at other schools you just do now know or hear about it because you do not follow those schools. I am not biting these players from other schools heads off so why should we bite Niles Pauls head off?

http://www.dui.com/dui-library/georgia/new...ith-georgia-dui

1 Game suspension

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/02...dui-arrest.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_co...-bartender.html

http://www.sportsbreakingnews.com/college-...aces-dui-2.html

those are just the first 4 that i have seen in the last month or so. in fact Iowa has had something like 10 alcohol related arrests so far this year (2009).

Using Niles as a way to show everyone else what can happen would not be fair to Niles. You do that by raising the punishment for a second offense from 1 game to a first offense is 2 games to a season and you will have lost the respect of your players. any person that runs a successful business would be able to tell you that! On top of all of that their would certainly be media backlash because you just suspended an african american player for 2 games to a season just a year after you suspended a white player for only 1 game! Wow, that makes recruits wanna come play for Nebraska!

Give me a break! if he were to get kicked off of the team or suspended longer than what is precedent then every person that gets a DUI should be suspended from their job! You cant have it both ways, just because he is an athlete (that is not paid--tuition can be gotten for free many other ways) it does not mean that he should have to suffer more than the average man or woman. A DUI already comes with a hefty price to pay and most people do not commit the crime again after they already have before.

Im sorry for your losses but you are being WAY too harsh on the guy before you even give him a chance to see if it is going to be recognized in court and this happens way more often than what you think, UNL is not special to the beer drinking game!

How do you equate playing football in college to a Job? Makes no sense.

As a football player at NU (or elsewhere) you are not working, you are a student standing in representation of your school and your state --- a highly visible (at least when you screw up) ambassador for a group with group rules of conduct. You equating Paul being reprimanded in his role as a player to a reprimand from an employer is not valid.

There are two different lines of thought running through here...and I agree with both.

1) Niles really messed up. Big time. DUI is serious stuff.

2) Niles doesn't deserve to be kicked off the team.

The punishment will fit the crime. Bo should be tough, but he also needs to follow protocol and not - as someone said - go overboard and give unprecedentedly bad punishment. I agree that it should be tough though, but it is a situation where all we know is he got a DUI, and what the punishment ultimately is is a very case-by-case, person-by-person thing. Is it not?

The University has a program in place where a student can call and get a free taxi ride back to the dorms (not sure if Paul lives in the dorms), just by calling 475-RIDE.

What a shame, hopefully he learns from it and does the best he can to rebound.

It doesn't matter whether you live on campus or not. As long as you are going to your registered residence they will take you home.

Exactly. Let him redshirt and if he makes the right moves, he plays next year. If not too bad.

Bo may have made a mistake last year with Teaf, but after the bar ban last year I expect a tougher road to Hoe for Mr. Paul. That obviously did not get the point accross. Christenson is a whole new deal that will be considered is my guess.

Trust me guys if this was happening at Colorado, Missouri or KState your ideas would be different.

I have sent a letter to Coach Osborne and Coach Pelini, to ask for fair treatment of Niles. But I want to see fair treatment for the University. Our drinking problem series is cause for alarm to the outsider and causes more problems down the road.

I got an email from my boss this morning. Looks like Nebraska is on the rise, they are getting their criminals back in the ranks. I know he is just yanking my chain, but those feelings will be out there if this is not handled correctly.

Embarassing to say the least.

i disagree, because it has happened and is happening at other schools you just do now know or hear about it because you do not follow those schools. I am not biting these players from other schools heads off so why should we bite Niles Pauls head off?

http://www.dui.com/dui-library/georgia/new...ith-georgia-dui

1 Game suspension

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/02...dui-arrest.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_co...-bartender.html

http://www.sportsbreakingnews.com/college-...aces-dui-2.html

those are just the first 4 that i have seen in the last month or so. in fact Iowa has had something like 10 alcohol related arrests so far this year (2009).

Using Niles as a way to show everyone else what can happen would not be fair to Niles. You do that by raising the punishment for a second offense from 1 game to a first offense is 2 games to a season and you will have lost the respect of your players. any person that runs a successful business would be able to tell you that! On top of all of that their would certainly be media backlash because you just suspended an african american player for 2 games to a season just a year after you suspended a white player for only 1 game! Wow, that makes recruits wanna come play for Nebraska!

Give me a break! if he were to get kicked off of the team or suspended longer than what is precedent then every person that gets a DUI should be suspended from their job! You cant have it both ways, just because he is an athlete (that is not paid--tuition can be gotten for free many other ways) it does not mean that he should have to suffer more than the average man or woman. A DUI already comes with a hefty price to pay and most people do not commit the crime again after they already have before.

Im sorry for your losses but you are being WAY too harsh on the guy before you even give him a chance to see if it is going to be recognized in court and this happens way more often than what you think, UNL is not special to the beer drinking game!

How do you equate playing football in college to a Job? Makes no sense.

As a football player at NU (or elsewhere) you are not working, you are a student standing in representation of your school and your state --- a highly visible (at least when you screw up) ambassador for a group with group rules of conduct. You equating Paul being reprimanded in his role as a player to a reprimand from an employer is not valid.

actaully yes it does make sense.

as a football player you are representing a University and you could say they represent the state but that is simply false. they represent a university. nothing more nothing less.

as an employee you represent your company. nothing more nothing less.

most corporate employees are punished when they are convicted of a DUI just as most athletes are.

So wait, just because he was lucky enough not to kill someone, it isn't a big deal? KICK NILES OFF THE TEAM.

You can NOT suspend him for the season or kick him off the team. You can’t because Bo would lose a lot of credibility if he did that because of the way he handled the other player situations from the previous year. When did anyone say it wasn’t a big deal?

On top of all of that their would certainly be media backlash because you just suspended an african american player for 2 games to a season just a year after you suspended a white player for only 1 game!

Christensen suspended but not released from Scholarship, Teafatiller one game, Ben Cotton NOTHING, Mike Smith/Ben Martin/Nick Covey nothing, Glenn got the boot but not for getting arrested, Kevin Dixon got the boot but not for getting arrested. Now if the hammer throwers had their way Paul would be the first player that was actually charged with a crime to get booted off the team by Pelini. Why just to prove a point? That doesn’t fly when the people before that got in trouble for alcohol related crimes got either a slap on the wrist or a suspension.

Like I have said before and will continue to say it, punish Niles Paul accordingly using the standard set before, which would mean the rest of Spring and game #1 next year. You can’t punish him for “what could have happened”, you can’t. If we did that we would all be in major trouble.

I wonder if it was a walk on from Cozad that never has a chance of playing, what the bleeding hearts would be saying. I doubt more than 10 posts as it filtered its way to the bottom.

If you ask me if this was a walk on from Cozad that didn’t have a chance to play it wouldn’t be in the news and saying people only care because it is Nile Paul is a little skewed and could be used by both sides of this argument. The “kick him off now” crowd wouldn’t be beating their drums as loud if it was some unknown walk on either.

could not have said it better myself sir.

i hope that some of these people never get into trouble because if they do then i expect to see swift action to fire them from their job.

I know someone close to the situation, said that Paul ran a stop sign and didn't pay the fine and didn't show up for court. His license was revoked for that, he has an attitude of "I'm Ahman Green's cousin and I play for NU, what are you going to do to me?"

Think maybe him having the best character on the team maybe the opinion of people that have no idea what his character is?

There's something I don't understand here. If perfect angels can fly, what's the point of riding on those high horses?

dedhoarse

Seriously though....Niles is from an area where it usually takes more effort to stay out of trouble than it does to get in it. This kid has probably spent a majority of his life dodging his surroundings in order to hang on to a future. Some of you are sending the message that in comparison to one bad decision, 19 years of good ones means absolutely nothing.

I hope he doesn't have to deal with people like this in prison person.

There's something I don't understand here. If perfect angels can fly, what's the point of riding on those high horses?

dedhoarse

Seriously though....Niles is from an area where it usually takes more effort to stay out of trouble than it does to get in it. This kid has probably spent a majority of his life dodging his surroundings in order to hang on to a future. Some of you are sending the message that in comparison to one bad decision, 19 years of good ones means absolutely nothing.

I hope he doesn't have to deal with people like this in prison person.

He grew up in North Omaha about 20 minutes away from where I lived for the first 18 years of my life. Let me tell you guys, North Omaha is no place to joke around. The fact that he was able to dodge trouble and make it to division one football is very respectable. I'm not saying "it's ok" for what he did but give the kid a break. His life shouldn't over for one mistake, unless he had actually hurt someone.

I know he did not hurt anyone, but he could have, and most likley will if he gets by with a slap on the wrist.

This comment is ridiculous.

#1 IMO, even the smallest penalty for a 1st offense DUI is more than a slap on the wrist. #2 to say that most likely he will do it again is just asinine. This kid hasn't shown anything besides having one of the best characters on the team and one mistake and Boom lets thrown him under the bus... Just wow

No. A mistake is when you think the answer is "A" when, in reality, the answer is "B."

Underage drinking is not a mistake. It is a crime. Driving while drunk is not a mistake. It is a crime. He chose to place people in the community at risk by drinking and driving. He chose to embarrass his team and his university. No these were issues far, far more serious than "mistakes" --- they were premeditated crimes. And they were numerous in number, not just once (suspended license means he had earlier "mistake" that were likely crimes too)

If he is one of those with the best "character" on the team then we are near anarchy on the team. Lets hope that this is not the case.

An, by the way, Niles Paul threw himself under the bus. It is not irretrievable --- he can crawl back out and change, mature and make amends --- this I hope he does --- that said, he needs to do this not as a part of the NU football team. He should be gone.

Well sh#t, I guess you have never happen to have a few beers and then driven home? I suppose you are little Mr Perfect then? We have no idea why his license was suspended before, we have no idea what he blew. Yes, it was a misjudgment on his part to drink underage but it happens, sadly the majority of kids do it. Quit acting like you are so much better than everyone else.

Well.... OK then. I am no mr. perfect, no one is --- but this is not a comparison between people. This is not about me. Or you. Or anyone other than Niles Paul. He committed an array of crimes (two, at least). It is in his best interests, and that of society at large (you know the people who might get hit by drunk drivers) to pay a major, major penalty so as to convey that such behavior is not tolerated in hopes that they never do this again (and that others contemplating doing so would not go that way recognizing that the costs are too high).

Many here seem to assume that driving drunk is routine behavior that many engage in. Man.... I hope that is not the case. Actually, I doubt that is the case. That said, this has been an interesting thread to read --- not so encouraging, but interesting.

So if the judicial system finishes up with giving him probation or community service, you think Bo should go above and beyond that and take away his scholarship, education, and everything else just to send a message to the rest of the team/state/country?

Saying that a university or state has a zero tolerance policy is very touchy. For instance, if a school has a zero tolerance policy for weapons...this includes guns and knives (obviously), but also includes a wide range of items that can be considered a weapon and a 1st grader brings in something like a finger nail clipper, should they be expelled from the district because of the zero tolerance policy? I know we are talking about two complete different instances, but a zero tolerance policy is a zero tolerance policy. Niles has not committed any other crimes (to my knowledge) and people want to have a public hanging to "make a statement". Not sure that is the best idea!

I would not advocate taking away his scholarship. But, suspend him from football --- to teach him (and others) that the cost for committing crimes is high --- and, by the way, Niles has committed two crimes that we know of --- both underage drinking and driving while drunk are crimes. He was on a suspended license and that probably was the result of a crime too.