Niles Paul got a DUI??

Oh but we need him so bad.

Bad enough for him to kill a couple of teenagers, a mother with 4 kids in the car, a father, a brother, your mother.

You hope it gets dissmissed. For gods sake guys this is death you are talking about. Drinking and driving is one of the most dangersous things in the world. It destroys thousands of families every single year.

Kick his ass off the team. Set out a year and see if he learns his lesson.

He chose to do it, it is his responsiblity to clean it up. No special breaks.

If he ever plays another down at Nebraska means squat to me. We have far too many drunk driving, alcohol related problems with in this program it appears to me.

We have always had alcohol related issues at UNL! When I was a HS kid in Columbus coming to games in Lincoln there were many issues with a particular QB back in 1973! These kids are kids they make mistakes and yes DUI is serious and driving under suspension is serious but he has not been in trouble that we know of up to this point. I am one who says two strikes and your out not one strike!

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important.

Really sorry for your lose if you did lose someone to something senseless like that... BUT Niles didn't do it. That and I have made mistakes in my life that have taught me not to do it again. Fortunate for Niles, no one was hurt.

Learn your lesson young man. Become a better person from it.

Agreed completely. Everyone makes mistakes, it just depends if you learn from them or not.

(Don't get me wrong, my opinion has nothing to do with us "needing" him to start for us. We have plenty of depth and I'm not worried in the least about that)

I know he did not hurt anyone, but he could have, and most likley will if he gets by with a slap on the wrist.

This comment is ridiculous.

#1 IMO, even the smallest penalty for a 1st offense DUI is more than a slap on the wrist. #2 to say that most likely he will do it again is just asinine. This kid hasn't shown anything besides having one of the best characters on the team and one mistake and Boom lets thrown him under the bus... Just wow

I know he did not hurt anyone, but he could have, and most likley will if he gets by with a slap on the wrist.

#1 IMO, even the smallest penalty for a 1st offense DUI is more than a slap on the wrist. #2 to say that most likely he will do it again is just asinine. This kid hasn't shown anything besides having one of the best characters on the team and one mistake and Boom lets thrown him under the bus... Just wow

No. A mistake is when you think the answer is "A" when, in reality, the answer is "B."

Underage drinking is not a mistake. It is a crime. Driving while drunk is not a mistake. It is a crime. He chose to place people in the community at risk by drinking and driving. He chose to embarrass his team and his university. No these were issues far, far more serious than "mistakes" --- they were premeditated crimes. And they were numerous in number, not just once (suspended license means he had earlier "mistake" that were likely crimes too)

If he is one of those with the best "character" on the team then we are near anarchy on the team. Lets hope that this is not the case.

An, by the way, Niles Paul threw himself under the bus. It is not irretrievable --- he can crawl back out and change, mature and make amends --- this I hope he does --- that said, he needs to do this not as a part of the NU football team. He should be gone.

No. A mistake is when you think the answer is "A" when, in reality, the answer is "B."

Underage drinking is not a mistake. It is a crime. Driving while drunk is not a mistake. It is a crime. He chose to place people in the community at risk by drinking and driving. He chose to embarrass his team and his university. No these were issues far, far more serious than "mistakes" --- they were premeditated crimes. And they were numerous in number, not just once (suspended license means he had earlier "mistake" that were likely crimes too)

If he is one of those with the best "character" on the team then we are near anarchy on the team. Lets hope that this is not the case.

An, by the way, Niles Paul threw himself under the bus. It is not irretrievable --- he can crawl back out and change, mature and make amends --- this I hope he does --- that said, he needs to do this not as a part of the NU football team. He should be gone.

Well sh#t, I guess you have never happen to have a few beers and then driven home? I suppose you are little Mr Perfect then? We have no idea why his license was suspended before, we have no idea what he blew. Yes, it was a misjudgment on his part to drink underage but it happens, sadly the majority of kids do it. Quit acting like you are so much better than everyone else.

Oh but we need him so bad.

Bad enough for him to kill a couple of teenagers, a mother with 4 kids in the car, a father, a brother, your mother.

You hope it gets dissmissed. For gods sake guys this is death you are talking about. Drinking and driving is one of the most dangersous things in the world. It destroys thousands of families every single year.

Kick his ass off the team. Set out a year and see if he learns his lesson.

He chose to do it, it is his responsiblity to clean it up. No special breaks.

If he ever plays another down at Nebraska means squat to me. We have far too many drunk driving, alcohol related problems with in this program it appears to me.

We have always had alcohol related issues at UNL! When I was a HS kid in Columbus coming to games in Lincoln there were many issues with a particular QB back in 1973! These kids are kids they make mistakes and yes DUI is serious and driving under suspension is serious but he has not been in trouble that we know of up to this point. I am one who says two strikes and your out not one strike!

I see where skersfan is coming from, because this definitely could have been a tragedy and he could have definitely killed somebody. It a scary thing to think about.

My take is that this kid is getting an all expenses paid trip to earn a college degree and play football. I don't care if this is his first time, the fact that he's still young, or the fact that he is a potentially great wide receiver; when college is getting paid for you better not be screwing around at all, because you are extremely lucky compared to millions of people in the U.S. who will never be able to afford college. There is zero tolerance for this, as Bo even stated. I say punish the whole team so an example is made of him i.e. make them do a lot of extra physical work and/or something they don't want to do.

im sorry but to say that he should be kicked off of the team or even suspended for more than 1 game is just wrong and selfish on some peoples part.

i know people that have been affected by drunk driving and in fact i saw drunk driving on a daily basis back home in Nebraska and guess what? i still see it where i currently live on a daily basis.

i saw a statistic in the Iowa State Daily a while back that said that 1/3 of the students at ISU have gotten a DUI, and ISU is not the only school with that stat in fact im sure most have that much or more. Do you think that 1/3 of the football team has had a DUI? NO!

Some of you are saying that he should be kicked off of the team for getting it because he is on scholarship from the University of Nebraska. if that was the case then you will have set precedent for kicking all scholarship students be it athletic or academic out of their scholarship because they made a mistake.

i would be willing to bet that there is not a single soul on this board (lets say ages 17-.....) that has not had a beer or two and went to drive his/her car afterwards.

i understand that some of you (like myself) have been affected by drunk drivers, but Niles Paul is not the drunk driver that you were affected by. and typically when a person gets off the hook for DUI homicide it is because the person that they harmed was also doing something illegal, ie: walking in the middle of the street or jay walking....its not always the drunk drivers complete fault.

I really hate to here this about Niles. I hope they don't kick him off the team, but DUI and all the other stuff he got stuck with is alot. Hopefully he can learn from this, and maybe just suspend the guy for the non-conference slate. I don't know though. That's tough. Good thing it happend now, rather than half way through the year.

im sorry but to say that he should be kicked off of the team or even suspended for more than 1 game is just wrong and selfish on some peoples part.

i know people that have been affected by drunk driving and in fact i saw drunk driving on a daily basis back home in Nebraska and guess what? i still see it where i currently live on a daily basis.

i saw a statistic in the Iowa State Daily a while back that said that 1/3 of the students at ISU have gotten a DUI, and ISU is not the only school with that stat in fact im sure most have that much or more. Do you think that 1/3 of the football team has had a DUI? NO!

Some of you are saying that he should be kicked off of the team for getting it because he is on scholarship from the University of Nebraska. if that was the case then you will have set precedent for kicking all scholarship students be it athletic or academic out of their scholarship because they made a mistake.

i would be willing to bet that there is not a single soul on this board (lets say ages 17-.....) that has not had a beer or two and went to drive his/her car afterwards.

i understand that some of you (like myself) have been affected by drunk drivers, but Niles Paul is not the drunk driver that you were affected by. and typically when a person gets off the hook for DUI homicide it is because the person that they harmed was also doing something illegal, ie: walking in the middle of the street or jay walking....its not always the drunk drivers complete fault.

I get what you're saying Husker B Rent, but with that said-Bo has to set an example so things like this don't happen in the future. Now, I don't think he should be kicked off the team. It sounds like this is his first offense, and I believe in giving people second chances....especially kids his age. I think suspending him for the non-conference slate sends the message to the team that this will not be tolerated in the future. And if he screws up again, he's gone.

Same situation with KU right now. Joaques Crawford is in trouble again and will likely be kicked off the team. He was expected to contribute alot to KU's special teams and as our second tailback. But this isn't the first time this kid has screwed up, so I expect (and hope) that Mangino gives him the boot. Discipline is extremely important in CFB. You have to be strict with these guys. No question.

You ever lost a family member to a drunk driver?

Try it, you will not like it.

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong. Its just drinking. He did not mean to hurt anyone. Just kids.

That is easy for you to say until you see a whole family laying dead in the street and the damned drunk normally walks away.

He has branded himself. I didn't, but just because he plays a frippne game for Nebraska he is a saint.

There is a drinking problem with in this program. It needs to stop. There is only one way for it to stop. Bo has to come down hard on it, no matter the talent level.

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important. He needs help, there are obviously problems.

No one is saying that Paul didn't do something wrong and shouldn't be punished. However, the punishment should fit the crime. And getting kicked off the team for a 1st offense, especially considering the facts/circumstances of the offense, isn't punishment-it's overkill.

Well sh#t, I guess you have never happen to have a few beers and then driven home? I suppose you are little Mr Perfect then? We have no idea why his license was suspended before, we have no idea what he blew. Yes, it was a misjudgment on his part to drink underage but it happens, sadly the majority of kids do it. Quit acting like you are so much better than everyone else.

Well.... OK then. I am no mr. perfect, no one is --- but this is not a comparison between people. This is not about me. Or you. Or anyone other than Niles Paul. He committed an array of crimes (two, at least). It is in his best interests, and that of society at large (you know the people who might get hit by drunk drivers) to pay a major, major penalty so as to convey that such behavior is not tolerated in hopes that they never do this again (and that others contemplating doing so would not go that way recognizing that the costs are too high).

Many here seem to assume that driving drunk is routine behavior that many engage in. Man.... I hope that is not the case. Actually, I doubt that is the case. That said, this has been an interesting thread to read --- not so encouraging, but interesting.

When I got my DUI many moons ago all of the other charges I faced were dropped when I pled guilty to DUI. I would assume that this would be the case here. So that being said going off of what Bo did to Hunter for his 2nd DUI, I would bet that Paul sits out the Spring Game and maybe Game #1 next year and that is it. If you ask me that and the fine, community service, and whatever else the court appoints is enough punishment.

The fact is he didn’t hurt anyone (could have but didn’t) so bringing that into play is moot if you ask me. I may be alone in thinking that though.

Also for the people that want to bring down the hammer on him I would like to know what your views were when Frankie got his a couple years ago. Or what they thought when Farley got his first one and TO gave him a second chance. Paul messed up will pay for it and will be allowed to continue his time at NU

You ever lost a family member to a drunk driver?

Try it, you will not like it.

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong. Its just drinking. He did not mean to hurt anyone. Just kids.

That is easy for you to say until you see a whole family laying dead in the street and the damned drunk normally walks away.

He has branded himself. I didn't, but just because he plays a frippne game for Nebraska he is a saint.

There is a drinking problem with in this program. It needs to stop. There is only one way for it to stop. Bo has to come down hard on it, no matter the talent level.

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important. He needs help, there are obviously problems.

Drinking and driving is wrong. Everyone hears and knows about it. But, it still happens. The only problem I have with your take is it's harshness. I understand having a family member get killed by a drunk driver. But, as I grew up Christian forgiveness is near the top of my list. Forgive people, maybe even if they don't deserve it or want it. It sure lightens the load off your shoulders.

Anyways, Niles made a mistake. He's not the first and he won't be the last. Punish him, but taking away his possible future is not a just punishment, just cruel. If you didn't give those who did wrong other chances to make themselves better and learn from mistakes why are any of us here. For those of you who haven't ever done wrong, feel free to cast the first stone. Something tells me I won't be seeing any broken glass.

0 tolerance by the state, 0 tolerance by the football team.

Where does it say it is okay if you might start for Nebraska that those rules do not apply. I wonder if it was a walk on from Cozad that never has a chance of playing, what the bleeding hearts would be saying. I doubt more than 10 posts as it filtered its way to the bottom.

The way you correct problems is by taking direct action. I do not care who breaks the rules.

As stated the kid has been a good kid up until this time. But this is a major issue with this program that needs to be addressed. Let him set the year to think about it and the rest on the team to understand what it will get them. His actions, even thought they didn't could have cost him his life or someone elses. Time to think about and correct his actions. High level players being sat for rules violations will make a mark. A mark that is needed at this time. Just too many problems over the last few years.

Do not take that as a hit against Bo. I would like to see all college coaches take an oath to stop this on their teams. Dismiss, set, suspend any and all violators. No exceptions. Set rules for set crimes.

When I got my DUI many moons ago all of the other charges I faced were dropped when I pled guilty to DUI. I would assume that this would be the case here. So that being said going off of what Bo did to Hunter for his 2nd DUI, I would bet that Paul sits out the Spring Game and maybe Game #1 next year and that is it. If you ask me that and the fine, community service, and whatever else the court appoints is enough punishment.

The fact is he didn’t hurt anyone (could have but didn’t) so bringing that into play is moot if you ask me. I may be alone in thinking that though.

Also for the people that want to bring down the hammer on him I would like to know what your views were when Frankie got his a couple years ago. Or what they thought when Farley got his first one and TO gave him a second chance. Paul messed up will pay for it and will be allowed to continue his time at NU

I agree with the law punishment being enough. The lowest penalty you can have for a DUI first offense non aggravated is 6 months probation, 90 days no license, $400ish fine and then add all of the fees on top of that for all the other stuff and you are paying a hefty amount for a mistake. No need to punish this kid more than he already is. Now if he does it again, then thats another story.