Next Commits?

This recruiting season is starting to feel like the 2004 Texas Tech game.

I'm not worried one iota. I have a feeling, and it's based purely on intutition, that we, as Nebraska fans, are going to be REALLY happy about this class once it's all said and done.

Now of course I realize that it could very well go south as well, but I prefer to remain optimistic, trust the coaches and just wait and see how everything pans out. Now if it's the middle of December and we're still sitting at four commits...then yes...that's probably the time to at least begin reaching for the panic button.

i am sorry, there are just too many good names slipping through the cracks right now, come Dec. only the top few guys are likely to remain and i would guess we would have to get half of them to fill our want list.

i am sure this staff is aware there is a fundamental problem in their approach or pitch...my angst is over the fact that it appears they aren't changing tactics, i.e. not picking up any recruits during this critical time.

i would really like to know what the strategy is, but absent that, the results will tell the tale and i for one am nervous as hell!

i am sorry, there are just too many good names slipping through the cracks right now, come Dec. only the top few guys are likely to remain and i would guess we would have to get half of them to fill our want list.

i am sure this staff is aware there is a fundamental problem in their approach or pitch...my angst is over the fact that it appears they aren't changing tactics, i.e. not picking up any recruits during this critical time.

i would really like to know what the strategy is, but absent that, the results will tell the tale and i for one am nervous as hell!

I agree. Right now things look really bleak --- just go to the rivals or the scout sites and cruise the list of people NU offered to --- you'll find that 80% have already committed elsewhere. It looks like what is on those lists were the "A" guys NU wanted --- and almost all are off the board. So.... how do we do with the "B" guys? Can we fill a class at this rate --- at least fill a class with guys others are also recruiting?

This is the type of stuff that makes me worry a little.......

Of the 41 offers we have out to defensive linemen, a HIGH priority for this class, only 18 remain undecided. Of the 18 that are still undecided, 7 of them are highly rated and we have a very small chance of getting any of them (guys like Jeffcoat, Powell, Ego, Uko, etc).

Of the 11 left, I only see 7 that we have a decent chance at getting. These include Vestal, Beau Allen, Damon Williams, Walker Ashburn, Chance Carter, Tobi, and Donovan Johnson. I could add in an 8th with Odighizuwa b/c we made the cut for a visit but I still see him as a long shot.

Of the final 7, Vestal (arguably) is leaning towards KU, Carter seems to want to go to ND (if they let him), and Tobi wants to go to ND (if they offer, he's gone).

This leaves only Walker Ashburn, Beau Allen, Donovan Johnson, and Damon Williams. Damon only has offers to NU, Houston, and Tulsa (not a great list) and Walker Ashburn has a bunch of offers but only Stanford and Okie State are decent programs.

So the only players left are Allen and Johnson that any other decent programs want. That is 2 players and I've heard we want to take up to 4 d-linemen this year.

We have lost a lot of battles this year and I've only gone through the d-line. I'd do the rest but it would put me in a bad mood.

I wonder if the staff has told kids to wait to commit b/c we have limited scholarships to offer this year and the staff wants to see if they can get a player higher on their board first. If this is the case, it has back fired. If we are waiting for "O-face" (as some have dubbed Odighizuwa), it's not good.

IMO, the d-line should be in this staff's wheelhouse especially this year with a guy like Suh being projected by many as the number 1 overall pic in the NFL draft.

I'm not saying the sky is falling but it just puts this recruiting year into perspective. <_<

Of the 41 offers we have out to defensive linemen, a HIGH priority for this class, only 18 remain undecided. Of the 18 that are still undecided, 7 of them are highly rated and we have a very small chance of getting any of them (guys like Jeffcoat, Powell, Ego, Uko, etc).

Of the 11 left, I only see 7 that we have a decent chance at getting. These include Vestal, Beau Allen, Damon Williams, Walker Ashburn, Chance Carter, Tobi, and Donovan Johnson. I could add in an 8th with Odighizuwa b/c we made the cut for a visit but I still see him as a long shot.

Of the final 7, Vestal (arguably) is leaning towards KU, Carter seems to want to go to ND (if they let him), and Tobi wants to go to ND (if they offer, he's gone).

This leaves only Walker Ashburn, Beau Allen, Donovan Johnson, and Damon Williams. Damon only has offers to NU, Houston, and Tulsa (not a great list) and Walker Ashburn has a bunch of offers but only Stanford and Okie State are decent programs.

So the only players left are Allen and Johnson that any other decent programs want. That is 2 players and I've heard we want to take up to 4 d-linemen this year.

We have lost a lot of battles this year and I've only gone through the d-line. I'd do the rest but it would put me in a bad mood.

I wonder if the staff has told kids to wait to commit b/c we have limited scholarships to offer this year and the staff wants to see if they can get a player higher on their board first. If this is the case, it has back fired. If we are waiting for "O-face" (as some have dubbed Odighizuwa), it's not good.

IMO, the d-line should be in this staff's wheelhouse especially this year with a guy like Suh being projected by many as the number 1 overall pic in the NFL draft.

I'm not saying the sky is falling but it just puts this recruiting year into perspective. <_<

Very good points.

Good post.

What about Jay Guy? Also I am pretty sure Vestal is really high on the Huskers and only medium on KU, unless the sites have it wrong. I would say Vestal and Chance Carter are good bets. Who knows on Odighizuwa but a good season by Suh would certainly help there. I don't like the early returns, but I don't think it is as dark as you are saying.

All we have for lists of offers is what Scout and Rivals have compiled. Do you think the coaches are letting the services know who we have offered? Of course not. The recruiting sites are relying on information from recruits, their high school coaches, and their families. I would guess that many recruits' offer lists are neither comprehensive nor accurate. Believe it or not, not every kid likes talking to Jeremy Crabtree on a weekly basis to let him know what they are thinking.

So many posters seem to think that our coaches' recruiting board is static, that if recruit A received an offer before recruit B that recruit A is obviously higher on the board. New tape, new evaluations, and their senior seasons (which haven't even started yet) will result in a lots of movement on the board. Some player that we haven't even offered yet may be at the top of the board by the end of October, and not just because others have gone elsewhere but because he is absolutely blowing up. It happens every year. Players emerge out of nowhere during their senior seasons and others who looked like great prospects in the summer fade away. Really, I doubt that anyone here has a list of every recruit on our coaches recruiting board or the order of preference. All we have are speculation and assumptions.

My suggestion is to relax. Let things play out and see how our class looks in February. Or, if you really want to let things play out, see how the class looks in 2012 or 2013 when the players have actually had a chance to make an impact. I think our 40th ranked 2002 class has had more impact players than any class since (at this point). Our 2004 class which was basically thrown together formed a decent sized-chunk of our offense over the past several years. Either our coaches recruiting strategy will work, they will adapt, or they will be replaced. Simple as that.