Ganz rockin it Redskin Style!

Found this on a Redskins Blog off their offical site. Pics at the bottom that shine some light on this 'Madden' drill.

Far and away the most interesting part of today, though, was the first 2009 appearance of the Quarterback Dodgeball Drill.

"We hammered them today, didn't we," Coach Zorn said afterward. The drill, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, is similar to the Madden football QB training mode. One quarterback takes the football and has to evade large inflated exercise balls being thrown by the other four QBs and/or Coach Zorn. "It's pocket movement that makes such a difference," Zorn explained.

By my unofficial tally, Jason Campbell had far and away the strongest performance, made all the more impressive because he's the biggest QB on the roster. Offensive assistant coach Chris Meidt agreed. "Jason was our most improved dodgeball player out there," he said afterward. "Colt [brennan] is the most valuable dodgeball thrower, with the possible exception of Coach Zorn." This was also undeniably true; Brennan was winging those dodgeballs like it was his mission in life. Of the two rookies, Joe Ganz probably fared better than Chase Daniel right off the bat, but Daniel improved quickly.

am-practice-023.jpg

am-practice-048.jpg

found this from there washington blog.

I watched a bit more of the quarterbacks this afternoon, so that I could offer an analysis that was a bit more cogent than "Chase Daniels isn't as tall as I thought." In the drill pictured above, which involved the quarterbacks dropping back, sometimes rolling out, and then trying to hit whichever square Coach Zorn called out, Jason Campbell probably looked the most impressive, at least by an unofficial count of "footballs into correct square". Second most accurate by my count was, somewhat surprisingly, Joe Ganz out of Nebraska, in on a tryout.

Has anyone heard if Joe actually got a contract. I know the brought him in just for last weekend. I also know he said that if the Redskins were going to sign him that it would happen by Tuesday. I know as of this morning that he has not signed. Anybody know if he has heard from them or if he has other tryouts this weekend??

Has anyone heard if Joe actually got a contract. I know the brought him in just for last weekend. I also know he said that if the Redskins were going to sign him that it would happen by Tuesday. I know as of this morning that he has not signed. Anybody know if he has heard from them or if he has other tryouts this weekend??

I'm kind of interested in knowing as well.

LOL if you guys look at the three magnified photos of Joe, you can see in the two photos that he is actually throwing the ball that his tongue is sticking out of his mouth between his lips. He always does that.. :clap

i would say that one of them will make practice squad. daniel probably has the better shot as he already has a contract and from what i have heard the washington owner likes big name qbs.....which ganz is not.

so imo ganz will have to demolish daniel if he wants to get the practice squad spot..

i would say that one of them will make practice squad. daniel probably has the better shot as he already has a contract and from what i have heard the washington owner likes big name qbs.....which ganz is not.

so imo ganz will have to demolish daniel if he wants to get the practice squad spot..

From a straight middle of the road opinion, the practice reports generally say better things about Ganz then they do about Daniel. (at least in the few I have read, but that has only been a few)

Hopefully the owner isn't that 'big' on big name guys, because there have been plenty of quarterbacks that aren't 'big' name and have done well for themselves (Matt Cassel is a prime example that comes to my mind).

I heard Ganz more than made up for it during a spirited game of Red Rover, Red Rover.

He also dominated during the round of Duck, Duck, Goose. :dumdum

To the point about Ganz versus Daniel and making the roster: Chase already has a contract and Joe doesn't. This means in order to make the Redskins roster he would have to out-perform Daniel by a considerable margin. Based on what I've read on the two respective QB's thus far it sounds like Joe Ganz is the better of the two. However, given the nature of the NFL and the often times numbers game I have to say I think it will be almost impossible for Ganz to stick with the Redskins even though he is currently out-performing Daniel.

The NFL unemployment lines are full of players who threw well in a minicamp. Chris Leak is one that comes to mind. He had 3 tryouts after his senior year and if I remember correctly he completed 75% of his passes or higher in everyone. ( i know for sure he did with the Bears and Chiefs) But at the end of those 3 days with each team he was back on the street.

On a side note. Reading what a blogger says about practice means very little to nothing. None of us, including the writter of the reports we are reading knows what the coaches are looking for.

The NFL is not always right in their player picks, and I would be surprised if Chase makes a 53 man roster. But when Joe had 1 team offer a 3 day try out and Chase had 4 teams offer signing bonuses and 2 year contracts, that says a little something. Both had tape, both had pro days, both had workouts. Only 1 got offers. And as much as some people may think its all about the name, look around at NFL rosters and tell me how many 'names' you see that were stars in college and playing QB now. I would bet a vast majority of people couldnt tell you what college half of the NFL's starting QB's played at.

P.S. I am a complete football dork and there are a few I know that I would not remember. When you throw in the backups...i have no clue on some LOL

But when Joe had 1 team offer a 3 day try out and Chase had 4 teams offer signing bonuses and 2 year contracts, that says a little something. Both had tape, both had pro days, both had workouts. Only 1 got offers.

You essentially echoed my thoughts on this matter...

A player who receives a contract will, in about 99% of the cases, make the roster, at least until fall camp, over a player who has no contract-even if the non-contracted player is slightly better.

It sucks for Ganz but that's the idiocy of the NFL.

And as much as some people may think its all about the name, look around at NFL rosters and tell me how many 'names' you see that were stars in college and playing QB now. I would bet a vast majority of people couldnt tell you what college half of the NFL's starting QB's played at.

I could name quite a few :thumbs but I won't be a pain in the @$$.