College coaches, including Sadler, flock to Twitter

College coaches, including Sadler, flock to Twitter

Lincoln Journal Star

He's got some work to do to catch up to Ashton Kutcher, but Doc Sadler is on the climb, another face in the Twitter crowd.

Perhaps you know about the Twitter phenomenon. Perhaps you don't give a tweet. But plenty of coaches do, and Sadler is one of them.

The Husker men's basketball coach just became part of the Twitter explosion a couple weeks ago. So give Sadler a little time to gain on the 1.6 million "followers" Kutcher's Twitter account has, or even the more than 2,700 that follow each "tweet" of LSU football coach Les Miles.

"A twittering kind of guy," Miles recently described himself.

Certainly such words never crossed the lips of Bear Bryant and Bob Devaney, but forgive Miles. Such are the times and he's hardly alone. The social networking site Twitter.com is becoming a popular locale for coaches looking for a closer connection with fans, and just as importantly, a recruiting edge.

On Twitter, a person sends microblogs of 140 characters or less (similar in length to a text message you might receive on a cell phone) that hopefully provides a simple answer to a simple question: What are you doing right now? These updates are known as "tweets."

Since joining Twitter, Sadler has already gained almost 200 "followers" who have subscribed to see the coach's latest tweets.

"Unfortunately, I think most of the people our age are not as technical as maybe the people that follow your program," said Sadler, whose assistants are also on Twitter. "It's just another avenue to maybe get to know you."

Husker football coach Bo Pelini is not yet part of the Twitter craze, though a spokesman said the idea of Pelini doing it is something that will be considered.

But we do know that Sadler, Pelini and Husker wrestling coach Mark Manning played golf on April 28. A Sadler tweet told us: Pelini and Sadler beat manning on a golf course alot of fun. Doc Sadler

And we also know that Sadler watched the NBA playoffs at sister-in-law Jean Ann Sadler's house on Thursday night. Another tweet.

Some take it much more seriously than others. USC head football coach Pete Carroll tweets often. He's got more than 17,000 followers and even tweets a song of the day. Wednesday's song was "Miss You" by The Rolling Stones.

New Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari is on Twitter. Of course, so is Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin. He's been everywhere else. Why wouldn't he be there?

And Miles? That twittering kind of guy? He takes it seriously enough that he's supposedly going to have a staff assistant tweet right before games, at halftime and after games.

"Absolutely, it's for recruiting purposes," Miles told USA Today. "It allows us to communicate, to those people that subscribe, blasts of information. … It's also an opportunity for those prospects that subscribe to communicate to us."

Indeed, that is certainly the most alluring aspect of Twitter. As long as coaches don't use it to contact recruits on an individual basis, the NCAA finds no fault with coaches using it.

"It's just another avenue to reach out to people and do it legally," Sadler said.

Manny Ramirez commentary is also allowed.

A Pete Carroll tweet: bummer manny went that way ... we love him, but it hurts ... now it's all about opportunity for juan pierre ... could he be the new wally pipp?

Minutes after that, another tweet. Rest assured, Carroll had picked his song of the day and fans of The Doors would be happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc's Twitter account

Bo's Twitter account Pelini is now on it.

also check out his listed website:http://ath-cybersports.unl.edu/nebraskafb/

A wanker is a person who wanks...which leads me to believe that a "twitter" is one who is, obviously, a twit.

First of all...let me apologize on behalf of all Iowans for Ashton Kutcher. We are deeply sorry that we allowed him to be set forth upon an unsuspecting country...we didn't know his parents were brother and sister... <_<

Second...using Ashton Kutcher to illustrate how popular something is is sort of like me using retarded people to illustrate how popular Nilla Wafers are. The only thing Ashton Kutcher has ever done that has been mildly amusing to me is when he got "punked" by Bruce Willis during that amazing episode where Bruce stuck him with his ex-wife. Actually, that turned out okay for Kutcher as he needed a big brusier around to protect him from everyone that wants to kick his ass and if he's married to him...uh...her, he doesn't have to pay it.

Now...back to Twit...er...

Twitter, and anything like it, is the reason someone needs to set off a big EMP blast over the world. How can anyone say anything intelligent with 140 characters? Hell...half the people I know can't say anything intelligent with the entire English language at their disposal. I mean...take this sentence from the article:

Pelini and Sadler beat manning on a golf course alot of fun. Doc Sadler

Did they beat manning at golf or did they beat him with their clubs until he was unconcious? Did they beat him alot or did they have alot of fun? How come manning doesn't rate a capital letter? Does Sadler think manning is so insignificant that he doesn't rate one? Or did they beat him so bad that he didn't deserve that? Who had a lot of fun? manning? I assume if he lost or, even worse, was pummeled into unconciousness with a putter, he wasn't having so much fun...

Then there's this sentence from Sadler

..."Unfortunately, I think most of the people our age are not as technical as maybe the people that follow your program,"

Hey Doc...any moron can push buttons. Homer Simpson can do it...hell, MONKEY'S can do it. Why don't you come over and help me change out the pistons on my 68 Ford? Or is that not technical enough for you? Technical? Geez...you push the on button and you hit some keys...the only technical part about it is the programming that was written by some fat virgin living in his mother's basement who took some time off from playing Guild Wars with his on-line Trekky buddies... So technologically advanced..."Ooooh...pretty keys have squiggly lines on them...me push lots of them to form pretty pictures....Uh oh...Where they go???"

....Uh huh, takes a real idiot savant to do that kind of thing....or at least an idiot.

Back when I was young, dodging dinosaurs out in the street, scientists were telling me that within the next 40 years they would find the cure for cancer, have people living on Mars and we would all have flying cars. Do we have any of that....no, but by God we got Twitter!

I'm blaming this all on air bags, bike helmets and other stupid inventions that keep us from being able to cull the herd and get rid of morons and slackers before they can become adults and create a new generation of morons and slackers.

As for Doc Sadler...maybe if he paid more attention to the court than Twitter he wouldn't get beat at least once a season by a pathetic Iowa State squad. How's that for a "tweet" (which, if combined with "Twick or...becomes yet another reason to think it's a retarded plot by Bugs Bunny to rule the world...)

I really don't think that's actually Bo.

Followers are too few. If he actually went twittering, there'd be more publicity. And he would have constancy spelled correctly.

a lot of twits come from mobile phones on the fly.

just saying.

i don't know what i think about all these coaches "twittering"? i guess it can help with recruiting i guess....somehow. so sadler and pelini both "tweet". how bout anyone else in the athletic department? lol maybe Tom needs to start tweeting

i don't know what i think about all these coaches "twittering"? i guess it can help with recruiting i guess....somehow. so sadler and pelini both "tweet". how bout anyone else in the athletic department? lol maybe Tom needs to start tweeting

i guess he's too busy trolling on 4-chan.