Worst College Football Coaching Performances...

The "great recruiter" thing seems wrong to me, even if that "great talent" goes undeveloped the NFL is still going to draft that "great talent" because it is in fact "great talent". Well we saw what happend last NFL draft, NU players were avoided like the swine flu. With the exception of lineman who are usually not considered "great talents" and of course a RB who was out of position for 3 years.

I know people argue about the development and I understand that point. My point is that a talented kid will WANT to work hard no matter what, he will WANT to get better. To me, that is part of being talented. I personally believe that it is a talent to work hard and want to develop.

Mack Brown, Texas. He has the resources of the wealthiest state university in the nation. He has a high school system that produces more D1 players than any state. He plays in the biggest stadium and the biggest city in the Big 12, with the best weather and it is also VERY popular with young people and Hollywood types, yet he has 1 Big 12 title in 11 years! Do not make excuses for this guy and compare him to Osborne, because if Dr. Tom was in Austin rather than Lincoln, he would have had more than 3 MNC, more than likely. Most of the best Texas kids wanna play for Texas and play in the city with the great weather and atmosphere, yet he has 1 Big 12 title and the guy in Norman has 6 in 10 years, 9 seasons. The University of Texas with a competent HC should dominate and be top 3-5 EVERY year! Switzer was a great HC, but he did not have a great record vs Fred Akers when he was the UT coach in the late 70s and early 80s. Even Switzer said the Texas job was a better job than his Oklahoma job, because of all the advantages, yet Brown has 1 title in 11 years or 10 seasons. That is a SORRY record, because Texas is not like a Nebraska or Oklahoma, where they recruit nationally and have to bring kids across country and to places where the winters are harsh. Brown has a CUSH job and has done sub-par job given his talent and resource advantages.

I guess I am not sure if you are trying to argue with me or not, I am just saying that I think talented kids are kids that work hard as well as being gifted.

I am also not sure what you mean about "do not make excuses for this guy" if you mean BC, I wasnt, I was saying that he was a average recruiter at best who brought in guys that were not as talented as some thought.

I agree with your UT statements.

By all means, you have the right to call me arrogant. But would you really call the #5 class in the nation not great recruiting. Whatever he did, he sold Nebraska to recruits and he was able to do that well. I have hope that Pelini will be able to do the same within the next three years. I think that people look at Callahan and look at his record. Records don't tell the whole story. Although I hope that no one ever suffers from his terrible wrath as a bad head coach, from my perspective he would be a good OC at the college level. Getting back on topic, there are worse head coaches out there than Billy Callahan who aren't good in ANY aspect of coaching...cough cough Dan Hawkins cough cough......

Sayed: Hopefully in the light of day (and not when posting at 2:30 on an early Saturday morning) when you re-read my post - you will notice I was calling the-coach-whose-name-is-not-to-be-typed's strongest attribute was arrogance. From telling recruits "I can guarantee you get a good shot to get into the NFL" and "We will do what we want to, when we want to do it" comment about his WCO his first season, to "Its too complicated" [for you schmucks, he might have said under his breath] and "I am an excellent coach in every area" his last season - he was full of himself.

Yes he might have been able to bring in promising recruits and he ran a good offense, but overall he stunk up the place. Are you going to keep dating a girl that never bathes, has an annoying high pitched whiny voice, has a face like Mike Ditka (including the 'stash) and when she drinks the red beer comes out of her nose JUST because you are attracted to her long blonde hair?

Records don't tell the whole story.

Amen to that . . . players quit playing hard, players and coaches yelling at each other, alienating fan bases, keeping a close friend on staff even though he was hopelessly "dazed and confused" as a DC, totally disregarding the valuable walk-on program . . .

Is it September yet?

By all means, you have the right to call me arrogant. But would you really call the #5 class in the nation not great recruiting. Whatever he did, he sold Nebraska to recruits and he was able to do that well. I have hope that Pelini will be able to do the same within the next three years. I think that people look at Callahan and look at his record. Records don't tell the whole story. Although I hope that no one ever suffers from his terrible wrath as a bad head coach, from my perspective he would be a good OC at the college level. Getting back on topic, there are worse head coaches out there than Billy Callahan who aren't good in ANY aspect of coaching...cough cough Dan Hawkins cough cough......

Your all f**ked up on recruiting - How many guys out of that class contributed 2,3,4 years later? Recruiting hype is a scam to make money. Sure usc,tx,ou and the florida schools get top talent and that breeds sucess but it's a different story in Nebraska - They have to CREATE players that work in their system and that's what bc didn't do and BO is doing.

POP QUIZ

1) Coke or Pepsi

2) Who started these rumors?

....a ) Bill Callahan was an excellent recruiter in every way

....b ) Nebraska has nothing but S l o w cornfed farmboys

....c ) It's a dry heat (Often a baby's first words out here) <_<

Not to beat a dead horse..but..B4BC..we used to draw pretty well on the name "Nebraska" alone.

oh yeah.. dedhoarse

How many recruits did BC beat-out other "quality programs" for?

Records ARE the whole story. I agree he was good ag recruiting, but that doesn't matter if you cant develop players. Everyone says, "look at his recruits going to the NFL...blah blah blah." the fact is, in football you don't expect highschoolers to make it in the NFL like in the NBA etc... they need to be developed in college. Callahan couldn't do that and thus produced pathetic college teams, and poor NFL recruits. but the bottom line is, it doesn't matter how good of a recruiter you if you can't do anything with those recruits (your record) then its worthless. callahan was worthless

Uh-oh, here comes the "Was Callahan a great recruiter" discussion.

What do you guys think of a black jersey?

Hmmm.. <_<

I really think we should dump "Sirius" for the tunnel walk.

...from my perspective he would be a good OC at the college level. Getting back on topic, there are worse head coaches out there than Billy Callahan who aren't good in ANY aspect of coaching...cough cough Dan Hawkins cough cough......

Danny may be a little crazy..But at least he can recruit.

Plus..He's not nearly as predictable in his play calling.

Different century, but still my favorite such stat, even though I had to suffer through it personally:

U. S. Naval Academy

Coach: Rick Forzano

Seasons: 1969-1972

Record: 10-33

The punchline?

After being fired by Navy, he is hired by the Detroit Lines!

Detroit Lions

Coach: Rick Forzano

Seasons: 1974-1976

Record: 15-17

Some coaches were just born to lose.

Chizak...worse than Hawkins...worse than Callahan...worse than dropping your soap in the shower in county lockup.... <_<

I am not sure about this.

Losing with the Cyclones hardly defines one as awful. It is easy to do and has been often accomplished.

BC on the other hand, was charting new territory that no Husker fan wants to ever revisit.

Chizak...worse than Hawkins...worse than Callahan...worse than dropping your soap in the shower in county lockup.... <_<

I am not sure about this.

Losing with the Cyclones hardly defines one as awful. It is easy to do and has been often accomplished.

BC on the other hand, was charting new territory that no Husker fan wants to ever revisit.

Wasn't it just a few short years ago when your beloved Jayhawks were stumbling around in the Big 12 cellar? Why yes! I believe it was!

Chizek was the ultimate horrible coach who not only couldn't coach but also bailed out on his players after lying to their faces...a complete package of a total loser