Running up the Score

Instead of worrying about running up the score, I would just like to see us beat some one with a pulse by one point. When that happens we might think that a small baby step is taken to being on our way back.

I never see us doing what was done in the past. No one has been able to since we were doing it. College football has changed, there are no real power house teams like we were.

SC comes the closest and they lose games they should never lose. They do not totally destroy teams as we did.

Time to live in the present. We can become a good team, on occasion a great team, but the days of winning 3 out of 4 are over guys. I am happy to even be able to think we are turning the corner. Lets not get the cart ahead of the horse. We are a long ways off from being competive with the top ten teams in the country is my guess. To do what you are saying will require us to be in that elite level. Not this year.

In my opinion, Clemson had a faint pulse. A step at least.

They'll run it up if they can.....For the reason Cy said, if there is legit talent out there, it will flesh out. And USC destroys the dregs of the PAC 10, and the overrated Big ten team.....Why do I feel like I'm forgetting someone.....Oh right. Us in 07. God that really sucked.

Instead of worrying about running up the score, I would just like to see us beat some one with a pulse by one point. When that happens we might think that a small baby step is taken to being on our way back.

I never see us doing what was done in the past. No one has been able to since we were doing it. College football has changed, there are no real power house teams like we were.

SC comes the closest and they lose games they should never lose. They do not totally destroy teams as we did.

Time to live in the present. We can become a good team, on occasion a great team, but the days of winning 3 out of 4 are over guys. I am happy to even be able to think we are turning the corner. Lets not get the cart ahead of the horse. We are a long ways off from being competive with the top ten teams in the country is my guess. To do what you are saying will require us to be in that elite level. Not this year.

You sure you are a husker fan? You really got some doom and gloom issues going on here. I have a little history lesson for you. Nebraska didn't always just destroy every team they played. You must have gotten too spoiled by the mid 90's. Tom Osborne won 9 games most seasons which means he ended up losing 2 to 3 per year. Take a look at the powerhouse teams right now...OU, Texas, USC, Ohio State, and Florida. They are consistantly winning most games and losing maybe 1 to 2 games. The only thing that has changed is the teams that are now powerhouses. Back in the day they used to be Alabama, Nebraska, Miami, and Florida State just to name a few and look where they are now. Go look up how many bowl games we lost and by how much. We lost every bowl game from the 1987 season to the 1993 season. And in some we got manhandled. Plus go look at the scores for the teams we beat that were powerhouses at the time. It wasn't by much most of the time. So your theory of powerhouses is mislead by your illusion of what you think the Huskers did when you were watching them as a kid, because your brain only remembers the good parts. All we need to do is stay around 2-3 losses a year and eventually we will get things to click and get back to elite status. All I am saying is it took Tom a long time to win a NC, but he consistantly won. I believe that Bo will do the same and at some point we will be able to win some more national titles. Now to the point of dominating teams, the facts show that we didn't always dominate teams like you are suggesting and yes there are powerhouses even today. We just aren't one of them right now so I think that is why you think there aren't any today. There is a cycle all programs have to go through at some point. And sorry this probably really off the topic...so no we don't run up the score on anyone if we have the chance unless they can't stop our 2nd and 3rd string guys.

All I can say is that we promise not to run the score up on you guys in Lincoln this year if you can promise the same in Ames next year.... <_<

i dont think that ISU will run up the score on anyone this year CY, but thanks for keeping the score down against us this year in Lincoln.

I think were a year away from beating down everyone but I think Bo has the mindset that as long as we have more points than the opponent it's a win. It would be nice to be able to score a lot of points because one thing that does is give the 2nd, 3rd & 4th string players VALUABLE game expierence. That's why they used to say about Nebraska - NEVER REBUILDING - ALWAYS RE-LOADING

You sure you are a husker fan? You really got some doom and gloom issues going on here. I have a little history lesson for you. Nebraska didn't always just destroy every team they played. You must have gotten too spoiled by the mid 90's. Tom Osborne won 9 games most seasons which means he ended up losing 2 to 3 per year. Take a look at the powerhouse teams right now...OU, Texas, USC, Ohio State, and Florida. They are consistantly winning most games and losing maybe 1 to 2 games. The only thing that has changed is the teams that are now powerhouses. Back in the day they used to be Alabama, Nebraska, Miami, and Florida State just to name a few and look where they are now. Go look up how many bowl games we lost and by how much. We lost every bowl game from the 1987 season to the 1993 season. And in some we got manhandled. Plus go look at the scores for the teams we beat that were powerhouses at the time. It wasn't by much most of the time. So your theory of powerhouses is mislead by your illusion of what you think the Huskers did when you were watching them as a kid, because your brain only remembers the good parts. All we need to do is stay around 2-3 losses a year and eventually we will get things to click and get back to elite status. All I am saying is it took Tom a long time to win a NC, but he consistantly won. I believe that Bo will do the same and at some point we will be able to win some more national titles. Now to the point of dominating teams, the facts show that we didn't always dominate teams like you are suggesting and yes there are powerhouses even today. We just aren't one of them right now so I think that is why you think there aren't any today. There is a cycle all programs have to go through at some point. And sorry this probably really off the topic...so no we don't run up the score on anyone if we have the chance unless they can't stop our 2nd and 3rd string guys.

I don't agree with skersfan on a lot of things, but I assure you he is a husker fan. He's just cynical. As he's said before, he got caught up in the hype of the last administration, wasn't overly happy with the Pelini hire, and is going to take a while to "drink the kool-aid."

I am not for running up the score intentionally- as in starters still in the 4th- just for BCS points. However I think a good pasting by the boys in the first two games might springboard them for VT. I would like to see it a well rounded effort by the first, second string, and if that comes with alot of points, so be it. But on the flip side, if one of the first games is lopsided (our way) you could argue that the starters need to stay until late in the game just because it's early in the season and they need the reps to come together as a team.

I am knocking on wood that taking about us running up the score will not give us bad 2009 karma. Not trying to be superstitious, but I guess I am.

Oooh.. you kind of bring up a good point in a way. Let's say we had 2 routs to start the season. Do you continue to play Zac Lee till the very end because he needs more game reps before the road game? Or, do you start getting the backup QB(s) some reps at that point? Personally, I think I'd want to keep Lee in for all 60 minutes, at least in those first two games, no matter what the score was nor how it looked because he needs as much game experience as he can get before going on the road.

Could be they won't have a choice because I think the teams coming in are better than they are getting credit for, but still should be fairly easy (on paper ... same place that Ball State looked like a gimme game).

I don't agree with skersfan on a lot of things, but I assure you he is a husker fan. He's just cynical. As he's said before, he got caught up in the hype of the last administration, wasn't overly happy with the Pelini hire, and is going to take a while to "drink the kool-aid.

@HuskerJosh and Skersfan-

I wasn't intending that he wasn't a Husker fan. That was more of a joke statement and a little frustration on my part. I get frustrated with fellow Husker fans being all negative and they rightfully can. The last administration destroyed the minds and culture of Nebraska football. I was just trying to point out that we didn't always just dominate people, but we were always a tough team and if the other team won they sure as heck were going to earn that win. Pelini is the guy we need, because he isn't just rebuilding a team...he is trying to restore our culture. You should hear the talk he did with Jim Rome on that very subject. I see Pelini having a coaching career like Tom did. It took Tom a while to get his first NC, but when he did he did it in bunches. Plus I think he is a good enough coach to develop his players and he will win games the majority of the time. We might not be able to run the score up on anyone this year (we wouldn't anyways if we could). But if anyone beats us...they will have to earn it this year and that's what everyone wants to see. Skersfan also said there aren't powerhouses like we were, but I have to disagree with that as you saw in my other post here.

Bill Snyder returning to Lincoln with his sh**ty beloved Wildcats, Pelini would love to run up the score.

Would he, probbaly not, but he will expect his players to play till that final gun sounds

Osborne NEVER ran up the score. I have seen several interviews where ex-coaches he beat by 70-80 points defended him on that. One particular school, think it was CSU said he sent a note to them at half-time that said something like we will not run another play outside tackles, of course most of the 3rd string kids were in and they still scored a couple of times but what was Osborne supposed to tell them fumble at the 1.

I saw scott frost against ISU in 97 just before half-time run a 5-6 yard QB sneak for a touchdown to make it 63 to 0 at the half. Who's to blame for that?? Maybe that sh**ty D-coordinator, not Osborne.

Oooh.. you kind of bring up a good point in a way. Let's say we had 2 routs to start the season. Do you continue to play Zac Lee till the very end because he needs more game reps before the road game? Or, do you start getting the backup QB(s) some reps at that point? Personally, I think I'd want to keep Lee in for all 60 minutes, at least in those first two games, no matter what the score was nor how it looked because he needs as much game experience as he can get before going on the road.

Could be they won't have a choice because I think the teams coming in are better than they are getting credit for, but still should be fairly easy (on paper ... same place that Ball State looked like a gimme game).

Wow, and I thought 34:01 min TOP last year was amazing! j/k

Guys,

Running up the score means you have the ability. If we do fine, but not against the Sun Belt conference teams. We beat Missouri 35-0 fine.

But this team has not beaten a top 15 program on the road for over 11 years. And only OU at home in 2001. It seems we should be more concerned about beating someone that plays the game, by a single point, than concerning ourseleves with will we run up the score.

Thinking we have the ability to do it is my concern. Lets show it on the field, rather than talk about it. People are expecting a lot from this team and Coach Pelini. A tremendous amouth with the experience we have on board. Most likely too much.

Lets play the games and see what we have before we start dreaming pie in the sky is all I am saying.

The past staff hurt this program, but the year before most on here were singing the praises of BC and staff for the division crown. Anything can happen in college football. Hope for the best, but never demand or expect it. That is what got us into trouble in the first place. It takes a lot of work to be the best, and to get back to that is a major job that I feel will take a at least two more years. But I think it is going to happen, and that is something I had questions about with the past two coaches. Bo has the drive, the determination and it appears the staff to do it. He has guidance from some one that has done. We just have patience is all I am saying.

60-3 is the best in recent college football. 3 crystal trophies in 4 years, should have been 4 in 5 and possibly 5 in 5 except for a fumbling day. USC did not get close. Florida may get close to the NC count but in wins is a ways off. That is what most Huskers think about. I honestly do not see anyone repeating what TO did in that span. The rest of his career is comparative to the others. We played in a very weak conference with one major game a year, Oklahoma, normally lost our bowl games against tough competition. It took Tom learning about speed from Florida State to get the corner turned.

I have been around this program for nearly 50 years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of it.

Guys,

Running up the score means you have the ability. If we do fine, but not against the Sun Belt conference teams. We beat Missouri 35-0 fine.

But this team has not beaten a top 15 program on the road for over 11 years. And only OU at home in 2001. It seems we should be more concerned about beating someone that plays the game, by a single point, than concerning ourseleves with will we run up the score.

Thinking we have the ability to do it is my concern. Lets show it on the field, rather than talk about it. People are expecting a lot from this team and Coach Pelini. A tremendous amouth with the experience we have on board. Most likely too much.

Lets play the games and see what we have before we start dreaming pie in the sky is all I am saying.

The past staff hurt this program, but the year before most on here were singing the praises of BC and staff for the division crown. Anything can happen in college football. Hope for the best, but never demand or expect it. That is what got us into trouble in the first place. It takes a lot of work to be the best, and to get back to that is a major job that I feel will take a at least two more years. But I think it is going to happen, and that is something I had questions about with the past two coaches. Bo has the drive, the determination and it appears the staff to do it. He has guidance from some one that has done. We just have patience is all I am saying.

60-3 is the best in recent college football. 3 crystal trophies in 4 years, should have been 4 in 5 and possibly 5 in 5 except for a fumbling day. USC did not get close. Florida may get close to the NC count but in wins is a ways off. That is what most Huskers think about. I honestly do not see anyone repeating what TO did in that span. The rest of his career is comparative to the others. We played in a very weak conference with one major game a year, Oklahoma, normally lost our bowl games against tough competition. It took Tom learning about speed from Florida State to get the corner turned.

I have been around this program for nearly 50 years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of it.

I agree, I would rather see lots of close games that we win than have blow outs and lose some. Ranked teams in particular.