Is 2009 our "magical" year???

Wishful thnking but I think 2010 is the year - NU doesn't lose a lot of guys this year to graduation.

I'm with you all the way on this one. I expect huge things from this team NEXT year - that's the first time I have been able to say that in, well, over a decade!

2010 features a weakass non-conference schedule and then get MU/CU/KU all at home next year. Our south rotation features A&M which I'm not sold on yet, and OKLite/TX, both of which will be losing their biggest play makers between 2009/2010 where we will retain the majority of anyone who steps into those roles this year. Certainly each team will have replacement studs, but it's hard to go full boar with the new guys right out of the gate.

And, damnit, we are DUE to beat Texas.

I think they do about average this year, but I still expect to see continued effort and execution improvements this year and the lack of blowout losses. I'm sure a lot of people won't be pleased with another 8-win regular season, but be patient. If we have only 8 wins next year, then I'll be extremely disappointed in the direction Bo is taking them. (Although, still way better than the alternative!)

If I am wrong about this year and we get more, trust me, I'll be elated and more than happy to admit being wrong.

:yeah

Wishful thnking but I think 2010 is the year - NU doesn't lose a lot of guys this year to graduation.

I'm with you all the way on this one. I expect huge things from this team NEXT year - that's the first time I have been able to say that in, well, over a decade!.

2010 features a weakass non-conference schedule and then get MU/CU/KU all at home next year. Our south rotation features A&M which I'm not sold on yet, and OKLite/TX, both of which will be losing their biggest play makers between 2009/2010 where we will retain the majority of anyone who steps into those roles this year. Certainly each team will have replacement studs, but it's hard to go full boar with the new guys right out of the gate.

And, damnit, we are DUE to beat Texas.

I think they do about average this year, but I still expect to see continued effort and execution improvements this year and the lack of blowout losses. I'm sure a lot of people won't be pleased with another 8-win regular season, but be patient. If we have only 8 wins next year, then I'll be extremely disappointed in the direction Bo is taking them. (Although, still way better than the alternative!)

If I am wrong about this year and we get more, trust me, I'll be elated and more than happy to admit being wrong.

EXactly, McCoy is gone, Reesing is gone, most likely Bradford is gone.

2010 at Nu = Senior (as in experienced) QB, HB, WR, DB, OL and lots of depth behind them. D-line experience being to only real concern. Bad luck or bad coaching decisions is all that stands between Nu and Big 12 crown in 2010 and a possible N/C run.

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to think every season was going to be our "magic" season... then we hired Al Davis' throwaway....

GBR!!!

What makes football so much fun (in my opinion) is that there is a fine line between an average season and a "magical year". If the Huskers win the games they should win - I think you know which games I'm talking about - and pull two "upsets" (OU and against us in Blacksburg - gotta give us the home-field advantage) you are a Big 12 championship win away from a magical season. What appears as magical is really taking care of business every Saturday and win games that you should win, and then "over-perform" on a couple of occasions. If your uncertainties work out OK you are at least on the way to a great season, which means you win more games than last year.

I used to think every season was going to be our "magic" season... then we hired Al Davis' throwaway....

GBR!!!

What makes football so much fun (in my opinion) is that there is a fine line between an average season and a "magical year". If the Huskers win the games they should win - I think you know which games I'm talking about - and pull two "upsets" (OU and against us in Blacksburg - gotta give us the home-field advantage) you are a Big 12 championship win away from a magical season. What appears as magical is really taking care of business every Saturday and win games that you should win, and then "over-perform" on a couple of occasions. If your uncertainties work out OK you are at least on the way to a great season, which means you win more games than last year.

Good points, but I'm pretty sure a "magical year" still means an NC run for Husker fans. Big 12 Champion is a very nice second.

GBR!!!

Good points, but I'm pretty sure a "magical year" still means an NC run for Husker fans. Big 12 Champion is a very nice second.

Sorry Huskertim.... I did want to imply a MNC... (or at least playing for it). If you win the games you should win, take care of the upsets and remain undefeated after the conference championship I find it hard to believe that you aren't playing for the national title. My point was that taking care of business and pulling a couple of upsets (including the Big 12 championship) has you right where you want to be. It seems so magical but is of course possible. Being a Hokiefan we have unfortunately not been able to do that besides the 1999 season when we went undefeated and lost to FSU. Besides a string of 10 win seasons we have had a tendency to lose games we should win, while at other times not been able to pull the upsets. A couple of losses a year is clearly above average, but also very close to being magical. Best of luck with your season!

Everyone so far has missed the point of my post. Of course things look great for 2010! Everybody thinks that..

I'm saying watch out for us THIS YEAR. All of those coaches I listed amazed people during their second years, when everybody said that they were a year away. We are in the exact same situation!!

I think the difference between nub and those teams is nobody outside Lincoln thinks the huskers are a year away from winning a NC.

Everyone so far has missed the point of my post. Of course things look great for 2010! Everybody thinks that..

I'm saying watch out for us THIS YEAR. All of those coaches I listed amazed people during their second years, when everybody said that they were a year away. We are in the exact same situation!!

I think the difference between nub and those teams is nobody outside Lincoln thinks the huskers are a year away from winning a NC.

I don't think we are a year away, and I think many Husker fans aren't thinking about winning a NC in 2010. Just being in the hunt again, for a chance at a title, is what I would think many of us are feeling, but that's just my opinion. Yeah I know what opinions are like................. :)

GBR!!!

I don't think we are a year away, and I think many Husker fans aren't thinking about winning a NC in 2010. Just being in the hunt again, for a chance at a title, is what I would think many of us are feeling, but that's just my opinion. Yeah I know what opinions are like................. :)

GBR!!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is thinking MNC next year. The one thing we want is to be considered in the conversation. That's the next step after winning our division. You win the North and you're in the Big XII Championship. Nobody expects us to win that this year, but with development that's a possibility next year, and when you win the Big XII, you're in the MNC conversation. And that's fine with me. I don't expect to win one anytime soon - nobody should ever expect to win a MNC - but being in the group of teams that people think have a shot... yeah. I think that's possible next year, and hopefully every year after that.

I see no reason why Nebraska can't be in the same position as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan (when they're decent), LSU, Georgia, etc. That's the echelon where we belong, and that's where we'll be soon.

The next step beyond that is being in the company of USC & Florida, who people expect to be up there every year. I have no idea when we'll make that step, and I'm not concerned about it. That's a huge step, and whenever it happens is fine with me, whether that's five, ten or fifteen years down the road.

GBR!!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone is thinking MNC next year. The one thing we want is to be considered in the conversation. That's the next step after winning our division. You win the North and you're in the Big XII Championship. Nobody expects us to win that this year, but with development that's a possibility next year, and when you win the Big XII, you're in the MNC conversation. And that's fine with me. I don't expect to win one anytime soon - nobody should ever expect to win a MNC - but being in the group of teams that people think have a shot... yeah. I think that's possible next year, and hopefully every year after that.

I see no reason why Nebraska can't be in the same position as Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan (when they're decent), LSU, Georgia, etc. That's the echelon where we belong, and that's where we'll be soon.

The next step beyond that is being in the company of USC & Florida, who people expect to be up there every year. I have no idea when we'll make that step, and I'm not concerned about it. That's a huge step, and whenever it happens is fine with me, whether that's five, ten or fifteen years down the road.

So what happens if you finish this year 8-4 or 7-5 or 6-6. Probably won't happen but what if you have L's from VT, MU, CU, KU, OU, TT? It is very possible especially with the questions you have on O and the DB's. Will you be able to handle that kind of a season from Pelini?