Nebraska and Duke, the only left of its kind.

That's how I feel Jen...well said. I know what Skersfan is saying about giving Bo time. If we have a bad season, are Husker fans going to turn on Bo? I think that is the caution he is trying to evoke to Husker fans. Our minds are pretty fragile right now and a little prudence will go a long ways. However where Skersfan sees Husker fans turning on each other and coaches...I see Husker fans being o.k. with a loss as long as our boys fight tooth and nail for all 4 quarters. It's the way the team fights that will determine the way we feel about the team not so much the wins or losses although the wins are nice too. So who cares that we haven't beaten a top 15 team lately. You can see that we have the coaches to develop talent which in my opinion was our main problem. That will directly translate into beating a top 15 team, but more importantly it will turn us into a top 15 team.

Pelini did a few things last year that has everyone really optimistic.

1. He took practically the same team that went 5-7 the year before and got them to play hard. Not only play hard, but took them to another level as far as their development goes. They weren't great, but they hands down got better.

2. He redshirted 50 players and quite a few of those guys could have played last year. Depth, depth, depth...HUGE in the long run.

3. He has shown he knows how to move guys to different positions to maximize the teams effectiveness.

4. He has shown he can change gameplans at halftime to counter teams.

5. No player is favored with Pelini. He is creating competition at all positions and isn't afraid to remove a starter if he can't get the job done.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic that we can beat a top 15 team very soon. Of course there are a lot more positives I can list, but I have already gabbed long enough.

I'm going to give Bo time. I figure I'll wait:

* Two more years to make a preliminary evaluation of his recruiting/talent. By that time it should be all his recruits on the field.

* Four more years, it'll be Bo's 5th season, before any assessment on his coaching although given what I've seen in year one all indications are very good.

As far as beating a top 15 team, whether on the road or at home, meh I personally don't care. To arbitrarily pick a top 15 and say that Bo's never beaten one is kinda silly. I mean, what if Nebraska beats a top 15 team, say Va Tech, and then somehow loses the next week to Louisiana-Lafayette? That victory over a "top 15 team" becomes pretty much meaningless in my opinion.

So, when everyone was certain we were turning the corner before/during/after the '06 season when we won 9 games, we of course were thinking about after BC was fired and Pelini had come in..

right?

In my case, no.

I was happy with the Alamo Bowl win over Michigan to close out the '06 season.

However, in my mind I knew that with the DC we had at the time, the notion of Nebraska going undefeated or even coming close to winning a national championship was pure unadulterated fantasy.

In truth I was expecting '07 to be another 8-4 season. Never in my mind did I think that the team would implode the way the did.

And your comparison is off as well. In Bo's first year the team clearly got better as the season progressed which is something that we never could say about the previous coach. The Huskers would always regress and get worse as the season rolled along under the previous coach.

Just my .02.

Jen,

Just a question. If we had missed the field goal in the Colorado game, what would your thoughts be? I am not sure things would have been much different than the previous staff. We would not have played Clemson, which really is the only game we played where I really saw superior coaching. Maybe Texas Tech, but I think that is a combination of things.

As stated Bo won the games he was supposed to lost the ones he was supposed, and got killed by really talented teams. Pretty much the same as the previous staff. I consider luck running both ways in Tech and Colorado.

Not being negative, just curious what you think.

skersfan, I saw a definite difference in play on the field from the previous staff to last season, and I'm not talking just 2007. There was a different spirit out there, a different level of enthusiasm. Technique was being taught, and while not always better, last year was definitely an improvement over the previous four.

I saw very little similarity between Bo's team and Callahan's teams.

Jen,

Just a question. If we had missed the field goal in the Colorado game, what would your thoughts be? I am not sure things would have been much different than the previous staff. We would not have played Clemson, which really is the only game we played where I really saw superior coaching. Maybe Texas Tech, but I think that is a combination of things.

As stated Bo won the games he was supposed to lost the ones he was supposed, and got killed by really talented teams. Pretty much the same as the previous staff. I consider luck running both ways in Tech and Colorado.

I don't see how you can say this about a coach who had 5-6 and 5-7 seasons on his NU resume?

Jen,

I don't see how you can say this about a coach who had 5-6 and 5-7 seasons on his NU resume?

This doesn't have to do with the point previously made, but I've talked to several players that were or are on the team (through both coaching staffs) and the general consensus I have heard is that things are run very, very much the same as they were under the old staff, the only difference (it is a big one) is that this staff knows the game better.

Jen,

This doesn't have to do with the point previously made, but I've talked to several players that were or are on the team (through both coaching staffs) and the general consensus I have heard is that things are run very, very much the same as they were under the old staff, the only difference (it is a big one) is that this staff knows the game better.

I will disagree with you about running things the same. First of all practices are completely different. Callahan ran a high repetition style practice, mistakes were corrected only in film sessions afterwards. This staff takes a more basic teaching approach. Also practices are much much more physical, players get after it much more. Certain things that were working are similar, such as Recruiting until Gilmore and QB instruction under Watson, but a whole lot is different.

I am not comparing the coaching just the overall results.

If we had lost he Colorado game, where would our thoughts be. What I am trying to get across is how much one game means to the programs fans thinking.

We are on egg shells because of the recent past.

Losing to Colorado in our house would have been a tough thing to swallow. It would have taken us out of the Clemson game, which in honesty is where coach Pelini really shined as a coach. The Colorado game showed the opposite.

Not taking away from what was accomplished on the field with attitude.

Just curious as to what we migh think as a group.

I am not comparing the coaching just the overall results.

If we had lost he Colorado game, where would our thoughts be. What I am trying to get across is how much one game means to the programs fans thinking.

We are on egg shells because of the recent past.

Losing to Colorado in our house would have been a tough thing to swallow. It would have taken us out of the Clemson game, which in honesty is where coach Pelini really shined as a coach. The Colorado game showed the opposite.

Not taking away from what was accomplished on the field with attitude.

Just curious as to what we migh think as a group.

skersfan, I am sorry but you could play this game under TO also. Plenty of close games under his tenure. What about watching NU lose 6 straight bowl games? I vividly remember the sickening losses to UM. TO took over the program just 2 years removed from a Title run and couldn't win another until 21 years later. Mixed in that period were plenty of tough losses. My Dad still complains about '78, first win over OU and Switzer and then NU loses to Mizzou. Fact is NU won or lost those games.

My point exactly.

There were many, and I mean many that wanted Tom gone for a long long time. Could not win the big one, never will, on and on.

Just trying to get accross time is needed.

I see that ESPN insider is saying we could go 11-1. Now that is some pretty positive coments from ESPN.

My point exactly.

There were many, and I mean many that wanted Tom gone for a long long time. Could not win the big one, never will, on and on.

Just trying to get accross time is needed.

I see that ESPN insider is saying we could go 11-1. Now that is some pretty positive coments from ESPN.

I agree that time is needed, but I think you are looking at it differently than some of us are. I am looking at the 9-4 season and deciding how much improvement I can expect for 2009 and how many wins tha translates to. You can say all you want about close wins, but that was something we didn't see under Clownahan. The ability to win games ties at half, or in two cases behind at half, or even just up a few points shows that the team improved its mental toughness greatly. If you add to that trait improved physical ability in many areas and one more year of development in the system and I think a Top 25 finish is more than reasonable with 10 wins or so. Looking at where I want the program to be will take a couple of years, so I see what you are getting at there.

Jen,

On the potentially missed FG against sCUm:

I would have been upset but I also recognize that a 57 yard FG is far from a chip shot or gimme. And, had it not gone Nebraska's way, and the Huskers had lost that game, sure I would be upset. But as I looked at the whole season, I saw a complete 180 from '07. The team just oozed attitude, intensity and a we're gonna kick your ass type of mentality. And I know the "signature" wins weren't there but dang it, those kids played every game, every snap, with passion, fire and intensity and that's what was missing during the previous coach's tenure. I don't like to see Nebraska lose, not at all. But when Nebraska does lose, if I can watch the game and see that they are giving 100% effort, they are fighting, clawing and kicking until the very end, and they still lose--well then I can live with that. What I can't F***ING stand is what I saw from the team under the previous coach: playing half-speed, half-ass and giving up the moment you face a slight bit of adversity or fall behind. That type of BULLSH** was way too common under the previous coach.

I don't take what you say as "negative" in the true sense of the word...

I merely think that Nebraska played well enough, despite the ridiculous mistakes against the Techs, to win 10 games last year. And the fact that the Huskers were soooo close to winning 10 games last year, after the abysmal '07 season, speaks volumes about the coaching staff we now have.

I agree that the probability of another 8-4, 8-5, or 9-4 season is probably more likely than a 10+ win season. However, my only point is that even though a 10+ win season might not be probable--it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility or impossible.

Just my .02.

Any football “streak” that is “team A” (no matter who it is) and Duke is not a good “streak” to be included in. Duke was/is/will always be a terrible program and to be along side them in anything bad. There is no sugar coating it, even though some are trying. :hmmph:blink::ahhhhhhhh

It can be said we were soooo close to winning 10+ games last year, it could also be said we were soooo close to finishing 7-6 as well.

Last year in 3 games vs. Top 19 teams we were outscored 151-76. FYI Va Tech was rated at the end of the year but not at the time we played them because they lost to East Carolina.

2007 194-101 (4 Games)

2006 88-51 (4 Games)

2005 34-31 (1 Game)

2004 30-3 (1 Game)

2003 31-7 (1 Game)

2002 140-64 (4 Games)

Last 2 games of 2001 99-50

Grand total 767-383. Aside from the Tech game last year, Texas in 07, 06, 02, Auburn 06, Tech 05 the games weren’t even close. Without those 6 games we are looking at 602-193. :bang

What does this mean? :dunno Who knows? It means Billy C. almost beat 4 Top 19 teams in his stint here (soooo close to winning 11 games in 2006) and looking at the total scores of the games during this “streak” we haven’t even been competitive.

Will this change this year? I hope it does but the chances aren’t going to be there because the North teams are stinkers :moreinteresting and 3 of our nonconference games are against crummy teams as well. Like has been stated Va Tech and OU appear to be it and there isn’t any guarantee Va Tech will be ranked when we play them.

You know what would be really sad, if Duke beats a Top 19 team before we do. That would be terrible but I’m sure it wouldn’t be that big a deal to some because it would just be a made up “streak” and “streaks” don’t really mean anything anyways. <_<

Who peed in your conrflakes this morning!!!!!!

If you look at the results and obviously you did, more so than the rest of us. It is quite obvious why the media has little respect for us. We really have not been much of a threat for quite awhile.

I doubt we see this go away this year, and if we don't it was to be expected. I see us being more competitive this year. Still see Oklahoma giving us a lot more than we take. Va Tech if they beat Alabama, we will be in for a butt kicking at their house. TyRod will run wild on us. They lose to the Tide we have a better chance, but as stated they may not be rated if that happens.

But in the negative the record states, we still have hope with this staff to square things away. My guess is this year will be about like last year. I do not see the 10 or 11 win season some see, but that is okay. I love to be surprised. But no matter, what our win or loss record is, play as Jen says and I will be happy to.

If we cut down on stupid pentalties and play Nebraska ball, what is there to complain about.