Helu & Castille Big day vs CU?

More food for fodder, will the Buffs switch to the 3-4 allow Watson to unleash our backs? CU has good linebackers so I wonder if this will pay dividends for their defense? We know what we did to KSU's 3-4 but the Buffs have superior linebacker play as compared to KSU. Then again will their linebacking corp be beat up by the time they play us? Your thoughts...................

More food for fodder, will the Buffs switch to the 3-4 allow Watson to unleash our backs? CU has good linebackers so I wonder if this will pay dividends for their defense? We know what we did to KSU's 3-4 but the Buffs have superior linebacker play as compared to KSU. Then again will their linebacking corp be beat up by the time they play us? Your thoughts...................

This is a huge mistake IMO, simply because the D-Line is the most important factor to the 3-4 working than the LB's. You have to have good DT's that can take on 2-3 guys so that the LB's can operate in space. CU is not deep nor experienced on the D-Line, this does not bode well for them. They will give up 200+ on the ground to NU.

Bad idea! I wonder how long it will last, though. By the 12th game of the season against NU, they may have already abandoned it.

I agree, but U hope they are still running it because like the rest of these guys I think we'll run all over sCUm.

Plus they will have seen oodles of film on our offense up to then. Less they put too much granola in their oregano blend(obligatory pot reference) :) . If their O line stays healthy and they can decide on which Qback sux < their D may be the least of their worries.

GBR

IIRC, the 3-4 defense was developed as a run-stopping D in the NFL in the 70's. Each team that runs it is obviously somewhat different, but just because CU is running the 3-4 doesn't mean we'll be able to run on them.

It does if CU doesn't have the personnel to run the scheme and they don't. You have to have a DT that can take 2-3 guys and stuff the LOS every time, doesn't work otherwise. I don't see it at CU.

IIRC, the 3-4 defense was developed as a run-stopping D in the NFL in the 70's. Each team that runs it is obviously somewhat different, but just because CU is running the 3-4 doesn't mean we'll be able to run on them.

Or Oklahoma in 1940's. Bud Wilkinson developed it.

The 3-4 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the 1940s. Chuck Fairbanks learned the defense from Wilkinson and is credited with importing it to the NFL.[4] The 1972 Miami Dolphins were the first team to win a Super Bowl with the 3-4 defense, going undefeated and using number 53, Bob Mathison as a down lineman or rushing linebacker.

Wiki - I'm too lazy to do real research - pedia

It does if CU doesn't have the personnel to run the scheme and they don't. You have to have a DT that can take 2-3 guys and stuff the LOS every time, doesn't work otherwise. I don't see it at CU.

Agreed. I think the losses on the DL are going to be huge for CU this season. I was just pointing out that the 3-4 D by itself does not mean we can run on it.

Or Oklahoma in 1940's. Bud Wilkinson developed it.

The 3-4 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the 1940s. Chuck Fairbanks learned the defense from Wilkinson and is credited with importing it to the NFL.[4] The 1972 Miami Dolphins were the first team to win a Super Bowl with the 3-4 defense, going undefeated and using number 53, Bob Mathison as a down lineman or rushing linebacker.

Wiki - I'm too lazy to do real research - pedia

Ok, thanks. I was just going with the 72 Dolphins off the top of my head. I probably shouldn't have been so lazy myself and looked it up.

The only thing a 3-4 defense is good at is giving up 3-4 yards per running play. I think it was originally developed to stop the run, but it was to stop the sweeps and options to the outside by getting more athletic faster players in there as LB's.

The Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, and more NFL teams are running the 34 D. The Steelers were the top run defense last season. I'm not sure how to find which college teams primarily run the 34, so I can't give more college related stats.

Edit: Oops, that was for the postseason. The Steelers were #2 run defense for the regular season. And they did give up 3.3 ypc, so junior4949's point is still valid.