Would it be appropriate.....

Hard to say. If we beat Oklahoma, and they're undefeated coming in, I wouldn't be surprised to see fans on the field afterward.

I always hate when that happens, though. It's dangerous, and stupid stuff can happen because that's not where fans belong. Mixing super-excited (and possibly inebriated) fans with players of a losing team on the field is a great way to have stupid/bad stuff happen.

See: Kellen Huston.

This, here, is the problem. Idk if Kellen Huston is what I'm thinking of, because I don't know the names, but there is a video on youtube of a Nebraska player hitting a Missouri fan after Nebraska lost in Columbia. Basketball games are one thing. A basketball court is smaller, there is much easier access as far as getting onto the court, and we are talking about a couple hundred people rushing a court. To get onto a football field there are railings and tons of people blocking your path, not to mention there are thousands of people in the stands and a couple thousand would rush the field. It is not safe.

And like another poster said, it doesn't seem classy at all.

I can see Husker Fans being a bit smarter rushing the field than other schools.

As a whole our fan base is very good. The problem is that there are those people in every fan base who do stupid things.

96% of our players are good students, good citizens, good players and make good decisions. But we have a bad reputation to this day because a tiny percentage of our players did some pretty bad/stupid things.

off subject, but that rep wasnt as much about the players as it was about TO not really punishing anybody and trying to sweep it under the rug.

But your point is very valid...

It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Or one really drunk person to ruin it for those in the suites. ;)

off subject, but that rep wasnt as much about the players as it was about TO not really punishing anybody and trying to sweep it under the rug.

It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Or one really drunk person to ruin it for those in the suites. ;)

It probably depends who you talk to. I talk to fans all across the country, mostly Big 10, SEC, ACC and SCC guys, and their issue with Nebraska is Lawrence Phillips, Scott Baldwin and Christian Peter, not how Tom reacted to those situations. They never mention Osborne sweeping it under the rug, they just talk about those guys and what they did. Andy Christensen brought a lot of those memories back when he was on trial.

It probably depends who you talk to. I talk to fans all across the country, mostly Big 10, SEC, ACC and SCC guys, and their issue with Nebraska is Lawrence Phillips, Scott Baldwin and Christian Peter, not how Tom reacted to those situations. They never mention Osborne sweeping it under the rug, they just talk about those guys and what they did. Andy Christensen brought a lot of those memories back when he was on trial.

Your right, but I guess I see it the other way. Would those people even remember those players had they not still been on the team and allowed to play? What if the first time LP did something really stupid he was kicked off the team? I would say those people remembering those troublemaking Nebraska players do so because LP, Baldwin, Peter and so on were allowed to continue playing and continue to screw up.

I have a heard time remembering names of players who screw up and get the boot. I can easiely recall those who never really got punished and seemed to be repeat offenders.

or one QB to pick his nose on tv and eat it. Could not resist it, sorry, I'm in that kind of mood today.

Its okay. I can take a joke. Just be glad I dont have the same bad attitude as this freakin wacko...

Pelini.jpg "What?!...you trying to get wise Got Carl??"

user938_25.jpg "You freakin kidding me Carl??! You got a problem with me!!"

_HUB1868_375.jpg "You had better listen up Got Carl!! I am this close..."

s-4910adf4a812d-34-1.jpg "Come back here Got Carl!!! HEY!!! I AM TALKING TO YOU!!"

:D:funnyhahah:D

Your right, but I guess I see it the other way. Would those people even remember those players had they not still been on the team and allowed to play? What if the first time LP did something really stupid he was kicked off the team? I would say those people remembering those troublemaking Nebraska players do so because LP, Baldwin, Peter and so on were allowed to continue playing and continue to screw up.

I have a heard time remembering names of players who screw up and get the boot. I can easiely recall those who never really got punished and seemed to be repeat offenders.

You're an exception, then. And it's not as if LP, Christian and Baldwin were the only kids doing these kinds of things - there are hundreds of examples of similar behavior across the country. I don't know the names of those players or the coaches who kept them on their rosters, though. But people remember this trio of Huskers, and continue to hold them over the heads of the Nebraska fan base a dozen years after their infractions.

Lawrence Phillips in particular is still associated with Nebraska, long after he played here and three pro teams (and one NFL Europe team) later. But whatever. If the only thing people have on Nebraska is that twelve and more years ago we had some bad guys on the team, that's on them. And if they want to denigrate the amazing things Osborne has done because he kept three very troubled kids on his football team, despite the fact that they weren't necessary in the least to win.... meh. A guy can't do right by some people.

Let me ask you this - do you associate Lawrence Phillips with any other coach, or just Tom Osborne? Because that'll say something about where you're coming from if it's just Osborne. Think about that.

agreed. we have been there and we should act like it.

would OU rush the field after beating us? i think not...

We weren't exactly playing for a national championship last year...

We are 5 time National Champions.

We were certainly the team of the last half of the 20th Cent. f not the team of the Cent.

Stay in the stands and act like Husker Nation always has.

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:bonez

Did you not see the post of the UNL grad who was in school from '93 - '96, who said they routinely rushed the field?

The "act like we've been there before" argument is absurd and prideful. Yeah, we've been there before, but it's been awhile. I'm sure Minnesota fans wouldn't sit on high horses and stay off the field, even though they have been there before.

I'm not saying I want to see people rush the field, I don't really, but the reason is because of safety, not because we are too proud of a team (that hasn't done anything since 2001) to participate in an activity that is a result of overwhelming joy for our team and program.

agreed. we have been there and we should act like it.

would OU rush the field after beating us? i think not...

We weren't exactly playing for a national championship last year...

We are 5 time National Champions.

We were certainly the team of the last half of the 20th Cent. f not the team of the Cent.

Stay in the stands and act like Husker Nation always has.

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:bonez

Did you not see the post of the UNL grad who was in school from '93 - '96, who said they routinely rushed the field?

The "act like we've been there before" argument is absurd and prideful. Yeah, we've been there before, but it's been awhile. I'm sure Minnesota fans wouldn't sit on high horses and stay off the field, even though they have been there before.

I'm not saying I want to see people rush the field, I don't really, but the reason is because of safety, not because we are too proud of a team (that hasn't done anything since 2001) to participate in an activity that is a result of overwhelming joy for our team and program.

we arent minnesota. <_< we have been to a national title game within ten years, there are less than 20 teams that can say that....i know i look down on teams fans that rush the field....WE ARE NEBRASKA!

Let me ask you this - do you associate Lawrence Phillips with any other coach, or just Tom Osborne? Because that'll say something about where you're coming from if it's just Osborne. Think about that.

I think its different when talking just about lawerence phillips and when people are talking about the 90's huskers problems.

You are right that people make a bigger deal out of the issues with the huskers then they do and the issues in Iowa City the past few years. Thats because the Huskers won, alot. And I will agree that issues happened/happen with many team across the country. And maybe its a regional thing. as far asnowledge. But I lost respect for TO because of some of those things. Maybe that is just me, but from an outsider who knows and hears the things that he says, then watched his actions, it turned me off. And like you said, NE could have won without LP.

Back on track though, to answer your question. I associate those players in that situation with the huskers and TO. However, I see LP as a waste of talent and time. He recieved how many chances not only from TO and Dick Vermil, but I would imagine from a number of people in his life. He was too stupid to realize if he listened he could have had a pretty good life, instead he ended up in the place they all desperately tried to keep him out of.

BTW - my opinion on that doesnt take away anything, in my mind from what NE did. Even if NE did sit LP, Greene was still there. NE was stacked. TO's non-action or half arsed actions (IMO ofcourse. obviously others feel different) effected my personally feeling for a man, not the talent and achievements of his teams.

Oh...and I dont rush the field. Although I dont really care if people do. It doesnt happen often in FB anyway.

I think its different when talking just about lawerence phillips and when people are talking about the 90's huskers problems.

You are right that people make a bigger deal out of the issues with the huskers then they do and the issues in Iowa City the past few years. Thats because the Huskers won, alot. And I will agree that issues happened/happen with many team across the country. And maybe its a regional thing. as far asnowledge. But I lost respect for TO because of some of those things. Maybe that is just me, but from an outsider who knows and hears the things that he says, then watched his actions, it turned me off. And like you said, NE could have won without LP.

Back on track though, to answer your question. I associate those players in that situation with the huskers and TO. However, I see LP as a waste of talent and time. He recieved how many chances not only from TO and Dick Vermil, but I would imagine from a number of people in his life. He was too stupid to realize if he listened he could have had a pretty good life, instead he ended up in the place they all desperately tried to keep him out of.

BTW - my opinion on that doesnt take away anything, in my mind from what NE did. Even if NE did sit LP, Greene was still there. NE was stacked. TO's non-action or half arsed actions (IMO ofcourse. obviously others feel different) effected my personally feeling for a man, not the talent and achievements of his teams.

Oh...and I dont rush the field. Although I dont really care if people do. It doesnt happen often in FB anyway.

Trust me things were just as bad in Bob Devaney's time. This is football where egos and testosterone runs pretty high. So yeah it is tough to control some of these guys. Plus there isn't a whole heck of a lot to do in Nebraska so there are lots of opportunities to get into trouble. That's no excuse I am making for their actions...just some reasons why it happens. But to say TO just swept things under the rug is a pretty ignorant statement. He took care of the problems and listened to the circumstances of the situation. He knows more about the situation then any of us and I am sure there were discussions between him and the player involved. I am sure TO probably felt he could help those guys by keeping them around...they might wise up and follow his example or someone else's example. He is a man of faith and so were a lot of players/coaches on the team. What would you rather have him do? Cut them loose into the world? At least TO gave them a chance to be something better, but it didn't work out in LP's case. You can talk bad about a few of our players (and I mean a FEW because most of our players are upstanding citizens), but I will be damned if I just sit back and say nothing while someone says something bad about TO. The man has more character, honor, integrity, respect, brains, and courage then most of us could ever dream of having. Not to mention the fact that we lead the nation in CoSIDA academic all americans. I wonder where Missouri is on that list?

Back on topic- We used to rush the field all the time even when we dominated. It is tradition everywhere, just don't do anything stupid when you are on the field.