CFN Nebraska Preview

Missouri, Kansas, Colorado all on the road has me nervous. I don't see us only losing two games next year

1. Missouri lost almost all their play-makers on offense and both their coordinators.

2. The Huskers handled Kansas last year, expect more of the same-even in Lawrence.

3. The game with Colorado was close last year thanks to a bone-head fake field goal call.

Overall, the read/assessment was fair and I think that given the Huskers recent history, especially considering with the previous coaching staff, that many sportswriters want to believe in Nebraska again. The Huskers just need to win a "big" game to show the rest of the nation that we're in fact back. And, a win on the road against Va Tech or at home against Oklahoma would fit the bill nicely.

Let's stick with beating Oklahoma at home! That would work for both our teams! :)

Good read. For CFN that was actually a great article. They tend to be the worst at botching names or talking about people who have already graduated to start for us in the upcoming season.

Also, not sure if anybody looked by they have more in depth articles for the offense and defense just to get more of the football fix.

It is a fair assessment of the team. The scary thing for the North is that DONU is actually a year away from being frightenly good. Check out the potential returners and possibilities sometime. Thoughts on the North for this year though:

1. The Zoo loss a ton on offense but the cupboard ain't as bare as I'd like and Washington is a good back plus, it is in Columbia, not a beacon of DONU success of late.

2. KU deserves the nod in the North IMHO. The QB is the key position in this league, and their skill players especially at WR with Briscoe and Meier are very formable. Again it's on the road and again Lawrence isn't a second home for the Big Red as it once was.

3. CU I believe is the enigma of the league. They have talent there, a lot of it actually. It will be interesting to see what their line will be like as a starting unit because not many got to see it with injuries to Miller and almost all the others. Will daddy can junior and go with the QB WITH talent? Will Scott live up to the hype? Can they replace Smith at WR? Does Stewart come back from the busted leg and run like he was last year(which was way better than Scott)? These all could be big things that could make Ralphie very competitive(yes I puked in my mouth while typing this). And wierd $hit always seems to happen late in the year in Boulder when DONU rolls into town.

The Huskers with an injury free season should be in every game this year. But definitely this season is no means a cake walk to the Big XII championship. Do I hope the Big Red returns you bet, but can a better team this year have a worse record than last year, possibly.

Good article although it is not enough for me to have the Huskers as a B12 North powerhouse. I just think that thinking is setting our standards too low.

I think winning the north is a legitimate and realistic goal for this year. I will personally set the bar higher in the following seasons.

Good article although it is not enough for me to have the Huskers as a B12 North powerhouse. I just think that thinking is setting our standards too low.

I think winning the north is a legitimate and realistic goal for this year. I will personally set the bar higher in the following seasons.

I agree, but how I read this article is that the author does not believe we will ever match our glorious past(as he writes) which I assume to mean the number one team in the nation year end and year out. Rather we will become the beast of North. That is not good enough for me. I don't think many teams will have that one or two perennial tops spots that we use to enjoy. I want to think in terms of being the beast of the b12, not just the beast of the North.

So Eric Hagg doesn't crack the 2-deep next season???

Maybe... I'd think Blue, Dennard, and Amukamara would have just as good of a shot. Maybe even Lance Thorell? DBs are decently deep this season it seems like

I think Hagg has more potential than Amukamara. Both are really good athletes, but the light just seems to be more "on" for Hagg than it is for Amukamara.

Of course, I expect all of our DBs to make drastic improvements this year after another year of Bo Time. I was somewhat shocked to see so little improvement last year.

Missouri, Kansas, Colorado all on the road has me nervous. I don't see us only losing two games next year

1. Missouri lost almost all their play-makers on offense and both their coordinators.

2. The Huskers handled Kansas last year, expect more of the same-even in Lawrence.

3. The game with Colorado was close last year thanks to a bone-head fake field goal call.

Overall, the read/assessment was fair and I think that given the Huskers recent history, especially considering with the previous coaching staff, that many sportswriters want to believe in Nebraska again. The Huskers just need to win a "big" game to show the rest of the nation that we're in fact back. And, a win on the road against Va Tech or at home against Oklahoma would fit the bill nicely.

I sure hope you're right. I think we can all agree that we are in better shape than them, but anything can happen in college football, as we've all seen, especially on the road.

To add to what jen said:

1) The last three times we went down to Columbia we got beat handily, but I'm convinced that in those three games Missouri out-talented us overall, and were much better coached. Pinkel and his team choked last year, and this year we have better talent across the board.

2) With both of our lines returning most of the starters and Kansas losing theirs, expect us to dominate the trenches again. A final TD score made the final score look close for Kansas last year, when it really was not after the second half got under way. The game should have ended in a 45-28 win for us. Reesing and the Kansas stadium won't be enough for Zac Lee to not win, a guy who will have already traveled to VaTech and Missouri earlier in the year.

3) Colorado is the underachievement of the Big 12. Always a lot of talent, never any production. This is Hawkin's year to produce or get out imho. I'm not convinced enough by their backfield and offensive/defensive lines to be worried. And, again, with tough road games against VaTech, Missouri, and Kansas already under the Huskers belt by this time, Boulder will not be as bad.

"However, with the great defense, decent promise on offense,......"

Not to be a troll, but how does the #80 in the country scoring defense - giving up over 28 per game - suddenly become "great" without playing a down?

Pre-season hype is your answer. As far as returning starters go and last years performance, they are the second best defense in the Big 12 this pre-season.

"However, with the great defense, decent promise on offense,......"

Not to be a troll, but how does the #80 in the country scoring defense - giving up over 28 per game - suddenly become "great" without playing a down?

Progression of young players. Existing returning players improvement. More continuity because it is not a system that is brand new.

One hell of a defensive minded head coach.

There are no ironclad guarentees, but I like our D.