Early Lines are out! Nebraska by 20.

Ok 20 is good. but the 60? First game with a new QB. It might be a little lower?

Pretty much what I'm thinking, too. I don't bet, but if I did, I think I'd plunk down $ on the under. If the over is achieved, I think it will mean the Husker defense isn't up to the challenge, and that would hurt my heart.

I think the first game is bound to be a little sloppy on both sides, so there could be some pick-sixes or blocked punts/kicks that will artificially inflate the score. I wouldn't touch the O/U to be honest. I might drop a little on Nebraska covering (but I don't bet on Nebraska games as a rule).

Actually, I would take the under on this game. I think Nebraska's defense will dominate FAU at the line of scrimmage.

I wouldn't underestimate Florida Atlantic, though I am inclined to think that the game will probably be a rout.

Actually, Arkansas State will be a pretty tough game. I looked them over pretty closely since they will be beating the Iowa Hawkeyes the week after they play Nebraska (in which case they will then become my 3rd favorite team in the nation) and they have a pretty damn good team. QB can run and throw...two really good RB's (one is going for his 4th 1000 rushing season this year) and a couple of defensive players who are projected to be high NFL draft picks. These guys could end up being Troy reincarnated...

Frankly, that whole Sunbelt Conference is tougher than people give them credit for...and they don't seem to be afraid to take on the big boys.

Guess that's why Kansas refused to schedule anyone from the Sunbelt huh?

By the way...you click on Florida Atlantic stats link at the top of the page and you get the stats for Western Michigan (another team who beat Iowa thus being my 3rd favorite team in 2007). Hopefully the Hooty Owls or whatever they are called won't see that as a lack of respect....They might not be used to it like I am... <_<

OK, gloves are coming off Cy! Tired of you making jokes about KU's non con schedule. You're quick to point out how Ark St. could be a tough game, and "I wouldn't underestimate FLA Atl". But when it comes to KU's non conference schedule, you're quick to point out how bad it is.

Cy, do you realize that both Duke and Southern Miss would beat Iowa State? And did you even bother to notice that Southern Miss. has finished with a winning record the last 4 seasons and won their bowl games last year?? And that Duke is a much improved team? Or does your hatred for KU not allow you to go there?

I wouldn't underestimate Florida Atlantic, though I am inclined to think that the game will probably be a rout.

Actually, Arkansas State will be a pretty tough game. I looked them over pretty closely since they will be beating the Iowa Hawkeyes the week after they play Nebraska (in which case they will then become my 3rd favorite team in the nation) and they have a pretty damn good team. QB can run and throw...two really good RB's (one is going for his 4th 1000 rushing season this year) and a couple of defensive players who are projected to be high NFL draft picks. These guys could end up being Troy reincarnated...

Frankly, that whole Sunbelt Conference is tougher than people give them credit for...and they don't seem to be afraid to take on the big boys.

By the way...you click on Florida Atlantic stats link at the top of the page and you get the stats for Western Michigan (another team who beat Iowa thus being my 3rd favorite team in 2007). Hopefully the Hooty Owls or whatever they are called won't see that as a lack of respect....They might not be used to it like I am... <_<

OK, gloves are coming off Cy! Tired of you making jokes about KU's non con schedule. You're quick to point out how Ark St. could be a tough game, and "I wouldn't underestimate FLA Atl". But when it comes to KU's non conference schedule, you're quick to point out how bad it is.

Cy, do you realize that both Duke and Southern Miss would beat Iowa State? And did you even bother to notice that Southern Miss. has finished with a winning record the last 4 seasons and won their bowl games last year?? And that Duke is a much improved team? Or does your hatred for KU not allow you to go there?

Any Big XII North team critiquing another teams "weak" schedule would be very hypocritical. Every team is playing one name opponent and three other mid-level teams. That said....I love watching a good slap-fight, so fire away!

slap.jpg

Saying that Duke is a much improved team is not saying much. It's not that tough when all you know is losing.. Also.. Southern Miss is decent, but I was unaware they played in multiple bowl games last year? Not to mention the one they won was a come from behind effort to beat Troy in OT... another one of the Belt teams....

If last year's game in Ames is any indication then Duke and Southern Miss should be able to handle you guys rather easily.... <_<

Meanwhile...back to the topic of your creampuff non-conference schedule....if Southern Miss is the best you can throw up as your premier defense. Well...that's just sad. Every team in the Big 12 is playing at least one marque team in the first four weeks:

Baylor has Wake Forest

Colorado has West Virginia

Iowa State has Iowa

Kansas State has UCLA

Missouri has Illinois

Nebraska has Virginia Tech

Oklahoma has BYU

OK State has Georgia

A&M has Arkansas

Texas and Texas Tech have each other

You have Southern Miss as your big test of the non-conference schedule...a team that finished 3rd in the weak Eastern division of Conference USA and made a bowl game because (no offense to S.Miss fans) there are two many piddly bowl games and not enough teams with winning records to fill them.

You're playing a non-conference schedule against four teams that finished with a combined 16-31 record last year! Over the last four years Kansas' opponents during the non-conference games have a total record of 78-112! You've only played 4...count em...4 teams during non-conference play that have finished their respective seasons with a winning record! You've only played 1 ranked team in non-conference play in the last 4 years (and you lost that one)! If that's not a creampuff scheduling job...especially for a team that wants to be considered as one of the elite teams in college football...I don't know what is. Heck...why even play the games? Just give Sam Houston State or UTEP some money to not show up and then invite Zig Ziegler to campus to give a motivational speech instead...

If last year's game in Ames is any indication then Duke and Southern Miss should be able to handle you guys rather easily.... <_<

Meanwhile...back to the topic of your creampuff non-conference schedule....if Southern Miss is the best you can throw up as your premier defense. Well...that's just sad. Every team in the Big 12 is playing at least one marque team in the first four weeks:

Baylor has Wake Forest

Iowa State has Iowa

Kansas State has UCLA

Missouri has Illinois

Oklahoma has BYU

OK State has Georgia

A&M has Arkansas

You have Southern Miss as your big test of the non-conference schedule...a team that finished 3rd in the weak Eastern division of Conference USA and made a bowl game because (no offense to S.Miss fans) there are two many piddly bowl games and not enough teams with winning records to fill them.

You're playing a non-conference schedule against four teams that finished with a combined 16-31 record last year! Over the last four years Kansas' opponents during the non-conference games have a total record of 78-112! You've only played 4...count em...4 teams during non-conference play that have finished their respective seasons with a winning record! You've only played 1 ranked team in non-conference play in the last 4 years (and you lost that one)! If that's not a creampuff scheduling job...especially for a team that wants to be considered as one of the elite teams in college football...I don't know what is. Heck...why even play the games? Just give Sam Houston State or UTEP some money to not show up and then invite Zig Ziegler to campus to give a motivational speech instead...

This...is my boomstick!

Baylor has Wake Forest

Iowa State has Iowa

Kansas State has UCLA

Missouri has Illinois

Oklahoma has BYU

OK State has Georgia

A&M has Arkansas

daaaaammmnnn! that one hurt me! :lol:

Baylor has Wake Forest

Iowa State has Iowa

Kansas State has UCLA

Missouri has Illinois

Oklahoma has BYU

OK State has Georgia

A&M has Arkansas

Southern Miss is picked to finish 2nd in their conference and may very well beat East Carolina to win it. I'm not saying they're a super power, nor did I ever say that. However, they're a good team, and looking at your "marque" match ups above, I would put them above a young Arkansas team and Wake Forest who lost everybody.

Yes, UTEP and Northern Colorado are a couple of joker teams, not debating that, but you can't lump Southern Miss in there just because of your Jayhawk hatred.

Saying that Duke is a much improved team is not saying much. It's not that tough when all you know is losing.. Also.. Southern Miss is decent, but I was unaware they played in multiple bowl games last year? Not to mention the one they won was a come from behind effort to beat Troy in OT... another one of the Belt teams....

You still can't call Southern Miss a cream puff. And Duke would beat Iowa State. That's the funniest part of this stupid debate from Cy. Oh, and Illinois is not a marque match up! Look out...here comes Juice!!! LOL What a joker team playing in the Weak 10 Conference. And UCLA is a marque team now? Wow!! That's laughable.

You still can't call Southern Miss a cream puff. And Duke would beat Iowa State. That's the funniest part of this stupid debate from Cy. Oh, and Illinois is not a marque match up! Look out...here comes Juice!!! LOL What a joker team playing in the Weak 10 Conference. And UCLA is a marque team now? Wow!! That's laughable.

Missouri also plays Nevada in non-conference play. Who you got? UTEP?

Come on JGS30...you are always crowing about how Kansas belongs in the top ranks of NCAA football...how they deserve respect in the college football circles. How can you think about yourself as some kind of football powerhouses when you're scheduling high schools and chalking up four automatic wins in non-conference play every year? How do you justify a record that includes four walkovers against DII and bottom feeders from small conferences like the WAC and C-USA year after year? That's like a guy who thinks he deserves to be a "tough guy" because he beats up toddlers and pushes old people with walkers down....

K-State is not a good team so yes, UCLA is a marque matchup for them. Actually...from name recognition alone it's a marque matchup compared to Southern Miss. At least K-State and Iowa State have some competition scheduled in the first four weeks. Are the powers that be in Kansas soooo unconfident in their team that they can't schedule anybody but weak sisters to open their seasons?

I would recommend anyone dogging any other team's OOC schedule to peruse the OOC schedule of the Top 25 this year. Heck, any year. Most top teams do not schedule other top teams, and in general play weak OOC schedules, year in and year out.

Sure, Kansas' schedule is weak OOC. But that doesn't make them any different than... pretty much 80% of the Top 25.

I would recommend anyone dogging any other team's OOC schedule to peruse the OOC schedule of the Top 25 this year. Heck, any year. Most top teams do not schedule other top teams, and in general play weak OOC schedules, year in and year out.

Sure, Kansas' schedule is weak OOC. But that doesn't make them any different than... pretty much 80% of the Top 25.

I'm looking into this now . . . mostly out of boredom. When does school start again?

Significant Non-Conference Opponents

1. Florida - lol (Charleston Southern and Troy)

2. Texas - Texas Tech

3. Oklahoma - #24 Brigham Young, Miami

4. USC - @ #6 Ohio State

5. Alabama - #7 Virginia Tech

6. Ohio State - #4 USC (and Navy)

7. Virginia Tech - @ #5 Alabama, #22 Nebraska

8. Penn State - lol (Akron, Syracuse, Temple)

9. LSU - Washington (was probably a pretty big deal when it was originally planned)

10. Mississippi - lol (Memphis, Southeastern Louisiana)

11. Oklahoma State - #13 Georgia

12. California - Maryland :dunno

13. Georgia - @ #11 Oklahoma State

14. Oregon - @ #16 Boise State, #18 Utah

15. Georgia Tech - lol (Jacksonville State, though they do play Georgia at the end of the year)

16. Boise State - #14 Oregon

17. TCU - @ Virginia, @ Clemson

18. Utah - @ #14 Oregon

19. Florida State - Miami, @ #24 Brigham Young, South Florida

20. North Carolina - East Carolina

21. Iowa - Arizona :dunno

22. Nebraska - @ #7 Virginia Tech

23. Notre Dame - Nevada :dunno

24. Brigham Young - @ #3 Oklahoma, #19 Florida State

25. Oregon State - Cincinatti :dunno

Do with that information what you will.

You need to look at the entirety of these schedules, not just one opponent here and there. Yeah, most everyone plays one semi-decent team, but overall these OOC schedules are pretty weak.

At #2, you're not alleging that Texas Tech is an OOC game for Texas, are you?

Oregon also plays Purdue, giving them three for three on decent OOC games. Oregon has one of the toughest schedules on paper at this point in the season. Let's hope that doesn't turn around and bite them before it's all over.